Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Wednesday 11th May 2022

(59 Posts)
Michael12 Wed 11-May-22 05:57:17

Good Morning Everyone,
Its grey and its raining here in brackley this morning .
Nothing planned today , will spend most of day watching cycling on TV.
And maybe some shredding .
Take Care,
Mick

Auntieflo Wed 11-May-22 16:12:41

I see that there are some late(r) posters, so decided to pop in and say hello to Mick, Annie and all, on this rainy afternoon, after my snooze.
Sorry to hear about the delay in getting your DH meds GrandMattie. Hope it is soon sorted, and that he is comfortable. You getting gout is just not what you need.
Hope that your DD is feeling better Chrissielou.
MOMB, what a wonderful thing you are doing.
When I was reading through, I thought, 'I will remember this and that', and of course I haven't, so apologies.
Today my lovely cleaner has been here and whisked through, leaving us clean, tidy and fragrant again. Yesterday we had the electrician , so there were extra dusty places, after his drilling through some walls.
We now have new lights under all the kitchen cupboards, a light in the under stairs cupboard, so now we can see clearly all the cobwebs and detritus that lives there. The garage is benefitting from a second light, and it makes such a difference. I saved the best till last. We have a new door bell, ding- dong, hard wired in, so no more batteries ??
As I had a bit more energy this morning, I made a paprika spiced beef casserole, that is now in the oven for supper. It smells good, and I fancy a couple of dumplings to go with it.
Back to my knitting and no doubt DH will make me another cup of tea soon.
Enjoy the rest of your day, one and all.

Keepingsane63 Wed 11-May-22 15:39:24

Good afternoon to you all in my case. Some of the times I see here....don't think my alarm clock even has those on its' dial.... smile . Sun has come out now after a wild half an hour in the West Mids. Bowling tomorrow evening - continuing the quest to try to get the round things to go where they are supposed to.
Am applying to The Cinnamon Trust over the next few days - it is a charity where you take out other people's pets who can't get out themselves. It will give me some exercise and hopefully help someone else. I just hope nobody has an elephant as a pet. Dogs are lovely, but I have always had cats - so I don't mind taking one out for walkies, and taking it back. Thank you for the welcome JaxJacky

Urmstongran Wed 11-May-22 15:22:39

momb what you’re doing is so generous and kind. I can only donate money as we have no room at the inn. To have the amount of space you have and putting it to such a humanitarian gesture is pretty bluddy marvellous in my opinion. And brave too in its own way. Please update us on here now and again if you have the time & inclination? I’m sure us lot would be very interested to hear how it goes. I for one don’t know of anyone doing this who could tell then tell it how it goes. I wish you all of you the very best in this going forward.

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 11-May-22 15:11:43

A lot of us seem to suffer from gout! I was diagnosed back in 2015. I remember driving to the health centre in slippers. OH was overseas. I wondered what I had done to myself! My GP put me on a tablet (can’t remember the name) which I took three times a day for three days. She also gave me a list of foods I couldn’t eat. Long story short, I managed without any preventives and watched my diet closely, but every now and again I had another attack. I ended up seeing a Consultant privately in 2017 and he said I should take alupurinol for the rest of my life. So that’s what I do. At least I can eat prawns, oily fish, mushrooms and asparagus.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 11-May-22 13:30:50

mumofmadboys hoping all goes well with your houseguests, what a generous soul you are.

joyce6135 Wed 11-May-22 13:05:36

Bit late today, but just wanted to say good luck to mumofbadboys , it’s a very kind thing you are doing, hope all goes well for you all.

mumofmadboys Wed 11-May-22 11:47:27

Thanks all for your good wishes. I'll let you know how things go. I'm sure it will have its ups and downs. The family seem lovely from the contact we have had with them so I am hopeful.

Stilllearning Wed 11-May-22 11:37:45

Morning all, no time to post today but want to wish mumofbadboys and her husband good luck in their generous new adventure, I hope all goes well for everyone involved. ?

Party4 Wed 11-May-22 11:23:14

Morning all from a dull West Yorks.
Good luck with the shredding Mick our shredder only takes few at a time and frustrating trying to speed up the job.
GMattie do hope meds arrive and DH benefits from pain relief and comfort of being in his home surroundings.Are they sure it is gout in your ankle ?
MofMB I admire you , actually opening up your home to a family.Do hope they settle well after the nightmares they will have experienced .I'm sure there will be emotional hurdles to cross.Have you received advice from the aide agency's etc.
Safe journey home Urms oh what I would give for a trip to the sun.
Hope health issues for DDs and DILs keep on the side of improvement. When a member of family has illness the whole family rally ranks with appts,childcare etc and of course the worry(usually in early hours).
Marydoll you did well getting DH to actually try on.My DH thinks it so easy replacing his favourite clothing ,cannot get him to understand fashion and style changes (also his change in bodyshape) He has increased in size to a L
Bought him two L jumpers with reluctance tried on, only to find could not get off. DH insisting I had bought wrong size.?
Harrigran such a lovely surprise from your DD. I do love flowers in the house treated myself to a big bunch of tulips yesterday.
Today is DGCs x4 school pickup and tea.As they get older each leave at different times for their activity sessions be it gym,swim or football.
Happy fond times even though it is complete bedlam .
Thinking of all with illness and worries..

hulahoop Wed 11-May-22 10:47:12

Hope all goes well MOMBit's a nondescript day ,it's our day for picking Gc from school so hope rain stays away .Have a good day all Urms have a good journey .

Nannagarra Wed 11-May-22 10:38:10

Good morning from a cloudy and cool north west.
A trip to return goods, a swim, spending time with our DGC and looking after DGdog1 are on today’s agenda.
A small vintage hand embroidered tablecloth is due to arrive. Inspired by a conversation on GN, I now find I’m hooked. Each week DGD sets the table, adds a small vase of flowers and her favourite ornament (two ladies eating fruit) for our very convivial and girly 1950s-style tea for two. #buildinghappymemories
Whatever your day holds, best wishes are sent to you all.
?

Blossoming Wed 11-May-22 10:22:30

Good morning Mick and all. It’s grey and cloudy in my corner of Lancashire, currently 12°C and rather windy.

So sorry you have a gout flare Grandmattie, I know from experience how painful that is. I hope you have the appropriate medication and it soon settles. Hope your DH’s meds get sorted today too.

What a lovely thing to do MoMB, if only more people felt like you.

Safe journey for your DH Ash. Safe journey Urms, your family will be glad to see you. That book looks interesting, we used to have a boat on the canal many years ago.

Good luck at the dentist cornergran

chrissielou flowers for you and your daughter.

Heavy colds really are rotten Holly, I prescribe plenty of warm drinks and lots of rest. Hope you feel better soon.

A warm welcome to any new members I have missed recently.

Thinking of all our grans going through difficult times.

Wishing everyone the best day possible with a ?or two along the way.

Scapa1 Wed 11-May-22 10:16:27

Good morning. Sunny in Dunblane this morning! Hope it continues.
Dentist appointment went well yesterday no treatment required back in 6months unless……..
A few bits of shopping to be done this morning and a bit of tidying. Then GD2 comes after school she does this on Wednesdays and Thursdays which is lovely. She always seems to be so hungry! Or maybe just winding granny round her little finger grin.
Keep smiling.

Taichinan Wed 11-May-22 10:13:58

Good morning all. The sun is popping in and out on the Angus coast. Yesterday was lovely too - the washing dried in a couple of hours in the strong breeze. Actually I had just finished ironing it when there was a veritable cloudburst of rain, so I was lucky.
Sad news yesterday. My friend of more than 20 years passed away. So sad - but one of those times when one can take comfort in "a blessed relief" as she had rapidly developing Alzheimer's and lung cancer. She wasn't aware of the latter, I don't think, but she was just fading away. I last saw her two weeks ago and when I gave her a hug there was nothing of her. Concentrating on the happy memories now. 22 years ago six of us joined together to form a little art group, and until Covid we met together and nattered painted once a week, come rain come shine. Now there are only two of us left, and we are going out for afternoon tea this afternoon to remember together.
Lovely painting Ginny, you must be proud of that. I haven't painted for a few years - keep saying I'll come back to it when I'm older ...... smile
Glad you got to your tai chi grandmattie but sad that your ankle spoiled it for you. I hope you take every chance to rest it and that it clears up soon. You can certainly do without that. flowers.
Happy journeys home to some of you, and happy hols to many. I don't know if it's because I have lived around the world in my day, but I have become such a home-loving body in my old age - although I love to hear of everyone's gallivantings of course and the warm sunshine and bustling happy crowds.
Not that I don't do a bit of gallivanting myself - I'm off again to act as taxi for DGD3 this weekend!
Have a lovely day everyone x

harrigran Wed 11-May-22 09:53:15

Good morning from a mild and sunny NE ?
Managed to fill two charity bags for collection yesterday and the wardrobes are still full. The clothes were all DH's and most of them brand new, he liked to stockpile just in case.
Got the vacuum out and did the upstairs then washed the bathroom floors, decided the windows needed cleaning so a half hour job turned into a whole afternoon.
I was making a cup of tea at 8.30am when the doorbell rang, it was the florist with a bouquet for me, and I was still in my PJs.
DD arranged the delivery even though she is in Paris for work this week, she is so thoughtful.
Hope you get sorted with the drugs gM and you get some pain relief yourself.
SIL coming today and we will go shopping, fridge is empty again. I am cooking family meals four days every week and I am running out of ideas. DS is now lactose intolerant so I have to factor that into meal plans.
Have a good day.

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 11-May-22 09:40:13

Morning all from a damp but mild West Oxfordshire. I have to collect some new shower mats this morning and a bit of shopping. Mainly white chocolates and flowers. I have things to drop off at the local Charity shop too. Oh, I need some de-flea too for the cats. Our gardener is popping in this afternoon to finish off the planting she started yesterday. I hope the rain eases a bit. It is our local history society tonight so OH and I will toddle along to that.

Gwenisgreat1 Wed 11-May-22 09:37:52

Good morning all from amp grey Harrogate
I’m at the opticians with DH, so didn’t have time to post earlier. Hoping we can go on to Morrisons to have a cuppa and do a little shopping
This afternoon I meet some friends for a cuppa in the Valley Gardens
Indeed I think you are very generous mumofmadboys and brave. Such a lovely thing to do.
Safe journey Urmston hope you are back by 9pm!
Sorry getting your DHsettled is taking a bit longer GrandMattie - you need a sore ankle like a hole in your head!!!
Welcome to the Newbies hope to see more of your chat!
Have the best day possible folks

hollysteers Wed 11-May-22 09:11:49

Good morning Mick and all from Cloudy Chambers northwest coast. Still have the stinker of a cold, not had one like this for a very long time (thanks Blossom for remembering me) and have just been coughing, blowing etc., I suppose now we are pretty much out and about again, it’s no surprise. It’s catch up catching colds time! Forgotten how miserable a heavy cold can be. I’m staying away from everyone…
Thoughts to grandmattie chrissielou and nice painting ginny, got a feeling I will miss art group this week.

EkwaNimitee Wed 11-May-22 09:10:58

Good morning Mick and everyone from a grey and windy Carlisle. It was raining when I went to bed last night so it's supposed to be drier today, maybe with showers. I keep looking at my front lawn, it needs mowing. I fed it some days ago so that's beefed it up though I can now see where I missed.
I don't feel very motivated to go out gardening when it's windy and grey though. Nor do I feel like 'doing an Ashcombe', sorting out my summer clothes! I will be caught on the hop one of these days...I hope!
So...today a bit of housework, a bit of admin and a bit of investigating interesting things to do or visit instead of mildering away inside, a habit it's all to easy to drift into.

Best wishes to you and your new family, Momb, I hope all goes well for them and you.

I'm procrastinating here! Must be off. Have a pleasant day all of you.

aggie Wed 11-May-22 08:57:02

Good morning everyone, lovely sunny morning so far in Co Armagh
Been in the plastic greenhouse planting seeds , it did blow away a couple of years ago , but the neighbours found the cover in their yard , so it’s still on the go , we weigh it down with large cement blocks

Anniebach Wed 11-May-22 08:56:47

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

ShazzaKanazza Wed 11-May-22 08:49:26

Chrissielou sorry you had a worrying day with your DD yesterday good to hear she’s home.
Ginny yet another Gransnet talent. That picture is beautiful.
Just can’t imagine how painful it must be seeing a loved one have a seizure.

luluaugust Wed 11-May-22 08:45:29

Good morning all from a windy corner of W Kent. Great excitement? today as I am going on a train to London for the first time in over two years. Meeting friend and visiting an art gallery, can't quite believe it.
Good wishes to everyone, specially those with a difficult day ahead.

ginny Wed 11-May-22 08:43:30

Good morning from a rainy N . Bucks
I haven’t posted for a few days as so much has been going on.

Various family members have had a sickness bug including DH. He should have gone off on a golf break yesterday but has just left this morning. Hoping he hasn’t left the bug behind for me.

We had two small DGSs for the weekend, fun but exhausting. Yesterday I spent the day helping DD3 as she could hardly move with back pain.

My nephew has many problems and has started having seizures, the worry is taking it’s toll on my Brother and Sister in Law so we’ve been trying to help them too.

Anyway today I have a couple of cakes to make for a local charity and an afternoon at craft club doing Indian block printing. Also managed a mixed media class on Monday morning which was fun. Will attach photo.

Will catch up with all the news here later.
Wishing you all as good a day as possible and hopefully a smile along the way.

Chrissielou Wed 11-May-22 08:25:10

brook2704 thank you, that's so kind.