Gransnet forums

Chat

Why don’t men sit down to pee?

(62 Posts)
Anrol Wed 11-May-22 08:14:40

My 2 x DS from a very early age, have been taught by the housekeeper, yours truly, splashes, drips or marks must be cleaned up and seat down after any use of loo and OH gets the wrath of the said HK if he breaks the common decency rules. If they stand or sit there’s no splash for me to see.
It’s up to parents to educate boys.
I presume men stand because it’s just easier to unzip.

FannyCornforth Wed 11-May-22 08:10:00

Some do. A very close relative of mine does

Kim19 Wed 11-May-22 08:08:32

I was taught that the flushing process could generate 'germs' into the air and it was safer to keep the lid closed to limit this. Factual? No idea.

Petera Wed 11-May-22 07:51:03

Galaxy

Why would it be more convenient to stand? I take every opportunity I can to sit down!

I guess because to do it sitting you have to take your trousers down instead of just unzipping.

Also the toilet seat thing - why do we assume that closed is the 'correct' position? I've never had a man say to me 'why do you always leave the toilet seat down?'

Galaxy Wed 11-May-22 07:45:16

Why would it be more convenient to stand? I take every opportunity I can to sit down!

silverlining48 Wed 11-May-22 07:42:53

I heard that men sit down in Germany, maybe it’s common in Other European countries and seems sensible to me,

Kim19 Wed 11-May-22 07:32:04

I imagine it's much more convenient to stand than sit but I daresay many males break the mould and do what suits them.

Esspee Wed 11-May-22 07:28:24

grumppa

We need to keep our eye in for urinating against walls after closing time!

???

grumppa Wed 11-May-22 07:26:37

We need to keep our eye in for urinating against walls after closing time!

Katie59 Wed 11-May-22 07:23:25

Because they have a spout and don’t need to sit, women have no choice.

BigBertha1 Wed 11-May-22 07:19:31

And why can't they put the lid down?

Esspee Wed 11-May-22 07:18:20

Just that really.

Surely it is anatomically OK for them to urinate in a sitting position?
The distance to the pan makes spray and splash back somewhat inevitable from a standing position, and don’t start me off on night time peeing in the dark!
My two boys were taught by me to pee standing but why?
Can anyone enlighten me?