Gransnet forums

Chat

Antiperspirant or deodorant?

(55 Posts)
Shinamae Wed 11-May-22 16:49:08

I stopped using an antiperspirant many years ago as after reading certain articles I did agree that pores are there to let your skin breathe and an antiperspirant just doesn’t do that,it stops you perspiring,well at least it stops the perspiration coming out of the pores.. I have used this deodorant for years and really like it.. about £2 I only used to be able to buy in a health store but now Tesco’s do it so it must be getting popular..

shysal Thu 12-May-22 09:36:03

I bought a refillable product, called Fussy, featured on Dragon's Den, which was eco friendly. It worked as a deodorant, but I can't get used to still sweating. When I am doing an exercise session or even walking briskly it starts with my knees , then face and underarms. I hate to see wet armpits, so have reverted to my old anti-perspirant.

Grantanow Thu 12-May-22 11:33:52

Sweating serves a useful purpose and it is a bad idea to clog up the pores with antiperspirant.

Moggycuddler Thu 12-May-22 11:34:22

I'd like to stop using ones with aluminium, and i have tried alternatives. But they just don't seem to work for me. Even showering daily (sometimes twice) I tend to sweat a lot and I felt that I was noticing an odour. Always went back to proper antiperspirants - I use Sanex.

nipsmum Thu 12-May-22 12:20:53

I haven't used deodorants or antiperspirants for many years. I found I had allergies to so many ingredients in them as well as cosmetics that I gave up using them. I find daily showers and regular washing of clothes means I don't smell too bad ( I have checked with my girls ).

4allweknow Thu 12-May-22 12:28:34

Would be great if there were none amongst us who suffer from excessive perspiration. Do feel fir both male and female who have this problem. A deodorant helps counter any smell but is useless in keeping underarms dry. Neighbour's daughter suffered from excessive sweating. Only way to control it at that time in the 80s was by having her sweat glands removed. Antiperspirants have their place.

Camelotclub Thu 12-May-22 12:44:52

I always use unscented antiperspirant. Best is Boots, £1 a can. The scent used in some of these AP's makes me nauseous! I had breast cancer in 2005 and no recurrence (touch wood) and oncologist said there is no link to AP's and cancer.

Camelotclub Thu 12-May-22 12:45:51

4allweknow

Would be great if there were none amongst us who suffer from excessive perspiration. Do feel fir both male and female who have this problem. A deodorant helps counter any smell but is useless in keeping underarms dry. Neighbour's daughter suffered from excessive sweating. Only way to control it at that time in the 80s was by having her sweat glands removed. Antiperspirants have their place.

I believe Botox injections are some times used to stop excessive sweating. Must paralyse the glands! Having ones glands removed sounds rather like overkill.

Disgruntled Thu 12-May-22 13:06:19

I agree, Grantanow: sweating is a good thing, it's a way of releasing toxins from the body, so it's unhealthy to stop that process. I use Crystal Rock or Ice Guard, which don't block up the pores, but they neutralise the odour.

Scotsmum Thu 12-May-22 13:11:12

I don’t sweat (no longer possible due to Sjögren’s Syndrome) so don’t need an antiperspirant, but still use a deodorant - usually the least expensive from Lidl or Aldi.

Kimski44 Thu 12-May-22 13:22:35

I absolutely love the deodorant crystal sticks as recommended by one of us above. I bring them back from the States as the brand is “Crystal” there, but you can buy them here - I’ve seen exact same type of product in Holland &Barrett. You just slightly wet them and they work by forming an invisible layer that breaks down eventually and it is impossible to ha e any body odour at all when it is still on the skin in the first 24 hours. Clothes smell completely fresh and unused at the end of the day, as opposed to any other type of deodorant or anti-perspirant.

Liz46 Thu 12-May-22 13:41:26

My daughter bought me a crystal stick that has a cork cover so that there is no plastic and no nasty spray to inhale of course. I just don't dry my underarms after my shower and rub the stick on.

HannahLoisLuke Thu 12-May-22 14:03:41

I switched to natural deodorants a few years ago when I stopped getting wet underarms. I tried the mineral stick but it started to crumble when it was half used. My latest is a rather expensive one called Sol Janeiro Rio Deo which is very effective but leaves me smelling of ice cream!

Skye17 Thu 12-May-22 14:17:56

I use Pitrok crystal stick deodorant, which is very effective and has no aluminium compounds that can be absorbed through the skin. It also dries quickly (after being applied to wet skin).

missdeke Thu 12-May-22 15:15:04

I've never liked perfumed deodorant, always smelled a bit odd. I used to use unperfumed but found that they all started to make me sore after a while. I found a vegan one online that was a lot more gentle but still after a while it made me sore (all this started after radiotherapy and lumpectomy). I haven't had to defuzz my underarms for 5 years now either, after chemo it never grew back. Now I just use a little dab of savlon cream and it works perfectly.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 12-May-22 15:30:35

Surely you can buy non-perfumed deodorants in the UK, can't you? You can everywhere else.

Since the menopause, I rarely perspire under my arms, so I have stopped using a deodorant, unless going to do something that I know will make me nervous (hospital appointments and the like).

I used anti-perpirants from the age of 16 to 26 because I perspired to much that my clothes were soaked and got ruined under the arms. Before 16 and since my late twenties until the menopause, I used a non-perfumed allergy tested deodorant, and since the menopause find washing in the morning and showering at night does the trick.

JdotJ Thu 12-May-22 15:50:36

Shinamae

I stopped using an antiperspirant many years ago as after reading certain articles I did agree that pores are there to let your skin breathe and an antiperspirant just doesn’t do that,it stops you perspiring,well at least it stops the perspiration coming out of the pores.. I have used this deodorant for years and really like it.. about £2 I only used to be able to buy in a health store but now Tesco’s do it so it must be getting popular..

I've used Bionsen for years both rill on and the spray and have always bought it from my local Tesco, it's not a new product there. It's Aluminium free, which, when I first started buying it, was quite rare to find but there are plenty of other brands now.

specki4eyes Thu 12-May-22 17:16:49

Memory jog! Does anyone remember the deodorant which came in a pink oval shaped squirty bottle. It used to make your armpits sting if you had just shaved them. But the scent was lovely. What was it called?

nexus63 Thu 12-May-22 17:31:18

i use a roll on invisible deodorant, i tend to wear a lot of black t-shirts or tops, the sprays made a mess of clothing and left them stained.

missdeke Thu 12-May-22 18:16:07

specki4eyes

Memory jog! Does anyone remember the deodorant which came in a pink oval shaped squirty bottle. It used to make your armpits sting if you had just shaved them. But the scent was lovely. What was it called?

Was it Body mist?

Daftbag1 Thu 12-May-22 19:20:07

I don't sweat so don't bother with any!

Blondiescot Thu 12-May-22 19:31:28

Daftbag1

I don't sweat so don't bother with any!

Andrew, is that you? grin

Joseanne Thu 12-May-22 19:48:57

I'm sure I read somewhere that the Queen's dressmaker said her dresses don't crease because she doesn't "glow," ie sweat! Something to do with having a low body temperature.

specki4eyes Thu 12-May-22 20:09:13

missdeke YES! That was it! Body Mist. Aww, my lost youth! Loved it, didn't mind the stinging..it worked!

TwinLolly Fri 13-May-22 07:27:31

I use 'Salt of The Earth' salt stick. Wipe it over damp skin (I usually do this after a shower at night) It stops bacteria in your armpits from causing the smell. In the morning I use a little squirt of perfume and I'm set for the day. No underarm smell whatsover.

Shropshirelass Fri 13-May-22 09:44:24

My DH uses spray deodorants and I hate the smell, the spray makes it hang in the air for ages, I have tried to persuade him to change to a roll on but no luck yet! I use Simple unscented roll on and a perfume of my choice!