Gransnet forums

Chat

Our Eurovision song!

(132 Posts)
Honeysuckleberries Wed 11-May-22 18:58:15

Has anyone else heard this? It’s absolutely brilliant it’s sung by a sexy long haired man called Sam Ryder. I can’t wait as I love Eurovision even the political voting. Does anyone else like Eurovision?

Dickens Sun 15-May-22 06:44:57

It was obvious Ukraine were going to win!

... and we came second.

It is interesting to note that the French and Germans both gave us 12 points which, considering all the anti-EU rhetoric emanating from certain quarters of our nation, is rather nice.

Callistemon21 Sat 14-May-22 21:49:55

?
Juke Box Jury!

grannyactivist Sat 14-May-22 21:27:37

Callistemon - your comment took me right back through the decades. ?

Callistemon21 Sat 14-May-22 21:08:24

Or, as Janice used to say Oi'll give it Foive

paddyann54 Sat 14-May-22 21:04:37

I lke the Italian entry,haven't a clue what they were singing but I'd buy it and listen to it

Callistemon21 Sat 14-May-22 20:55:09

Yes, she was - and had emptied the shelves of toilet rolls according to Graham Norton ?

ixion Sat 14-May-22 20:53:01

Too tame Callistemon for today's bright young things, but I really liked it too.
Clearly put in place by my opening comments -
Good grief, looks like she's in her pyjamas!
?‍♀️

Callistemon21 Sat 14-May-22 20:52:21

We rarely watch it - so why are we watching it this year?

???

Callistemon21 Sat 14-May-22 20:50:38

effalump

I had really hoped that leaving the EU meant we wouldn't have to put up with this dirge of a programme

It's nothing to do with the EU confused

Callistemon21 Sat 14-May-22 20:49:11

I'm enjoying the Armenian song

Joseanne Sat 14-May-22 20:45:57

Norway is good! They are bananas!

Dickens Sat 14-May-22 20:38:08

effalump

I had really hoped that leaving the EU meant we wouldn't have to put up with this dirge of a programme. Everyones knows that Ukraine will win because countries vote politically. Everyone will be virtue signalling. As I don't watch it I can't comment on whether or not it's good.

The Eurovision Song Contest is nothing to do with the EU. It’s a creation of the European Broadcasting Union and Britain has been entering it for over sixty years, long before joining the EEC.

No one is forced to watch it - but some like it, both Brexiters and Remainers - it's just light entertainment and fun, a yearly ritual that gives people the chance to have a 'Eurovision party get together'.

The 'political' voting is now ingrained and I don't think people take too much notice of it.

GraceQuirrel Sat 14-May-22 19:46:36

Love Eurovision! It’s light hearted entertainment and people shouldn’t get all silly about it. Ukraine will win, we’ll probably come last and there’ll be a heavy metal band that sounds awful!! Graham Norton is excellent and always makes me laugh. Getting snacks and drinks ready now grin

Cherrytree59 Sat 14-May-22 18:39:19

If Ukraine win it will hopefully be a great moral boost for the country and its people of whom many are at this moment in time scattered across Europe

To show my support, Ukraine will have my vote.

Honeysuckleberries Sat 14-May-22 18:38:58

I think it will be interesting to watch the voting. I wonder how many countries will vote contrary to Russia’s interests.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 14-May-22 18:02:15

ginny

Surely in a contest the vote should be given to the song one likes best. ‘Letting’. Ukraine win won’t do anything to help their awful situation however much we all want to support them.

I agree. Who would want to win a competition because the voters were sorry for them?

MayBee70 Sat 14-May-22 17:57:41

Music has always been used as a form of protest. Look at Dylan ( Masters of War) and Joan Baez. Neil Youngs Ohio. Just because Eurovision is light and poppy doesn’t mean it can’t be used as a force for good. I’m not too happy about a song winning that is far from the best song but if it filters through to the people in Russia that have been brainwashed into thinking Putins war is a just cause, sobeit.

ginny Sat 14-May-22 14:52:37

Surely in a contest the vote should be given to the song one likes best. ‘Letting’. Ukraine win won’t do anything to help their awful situation however much we all want to support them.

ShropshireMiss Sat 14-May-22 14:11:57

Eurovision is organised by the European Broadcasting Union, which is nothing to do with the EU. That’s why countries which aren’t in the EU can take part.

ShropshireMiss Sat 14-May-22 14:08:45

I don’t think the voting is political, rather it’s cultural. People living in say Bosnia, Serbia and Croatia will probably hear each other’s entries a lot on the radio and tv in the run up. Likewise people in say Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland will probably hear each otherwise entries on their radio stations and tv a lot in the run up.

ShropshireMiss Sat 14-May-22 14:03:08

I loved the electronic music the dj played during the voting for the first round of the semi finals. It was the best thing out of all the semi finals. If that had been Italy’s entry I would have voted for it.

MayBee70 Sat 14-May-22 13:55:06

effalump

I had really hoped that leaving the EU meant we wouldn't have to put up with this dirge of a programme. Everyones knows that Ukraine will win because countries vote politically. Everyone will be virtue signalling. As I don't watch it I can't comment on whether or not it's good.

Eurovision is nothing to do with the EU. And lots of the countries aren’t in the EU anyway.

grannyactivist Sat 14-May-22 13:19:32

We don’t usually watch it, but a few years ago we were staying with friends in Norway when it was on and over there it’s one of the biggest TV events of the year. The family all had scorecards, made predictions and bought in a huge array of snacks before settling down to watch - then laughed, groaned and cheered their way through it.

effalump Sat 14-May-22 12:10:55

minxie Fri 13-May-22 16:13:47

I love watching even though Terry is no longer with us. He was very funny but Graham is t to bad to be fair. I haven’t even heard our entry