Gransnet forums

Chat

What's your favourite way to de-stress?

(53 Posts)
Lark123 Sat 14-May-22 16:02:59

Whether it's personal stress you're dealing with, or global and environmental stress that gets to all of us over time.

What is it that brings a smile to your face; a feeling of happiness, if only for a short time?

Being on my own this beautiful day, I dug out the old C.D. player and am treating myself to my collection of 'Big Band', early Jazz c.d.s, turned up loud, of course! grin

Makes me swing and tap, dance and twirl; brings a smile to my face and lightens my mood.

Anyone else like to share what makes them happy when feeling stressed?

Grandmafrench Sun 15-May-22 18:42:10

Jaxjacky

A really good, eye watering laugh, with MrJ, friends or my children, you can’t predict it or choose it, but when it happens, it’s magical.

Oh yes. Laughter, real take-your-breath-away laughter shared with anyone - it's the most wonderful release.

Depends on the time of year. In cold weather for me it's lamplight and firelight, just drifting off looking into the flames. In warm weather it's sitting outside with moonlight and stars and breathing in the perfume of the garden. It's a walk at any time of year, maybe just the rhythm of walking but it's very calming. Add the lovely sound of birdsong, buzzards mewing, a distant curlew or hoopoe; church bells and the rattle of the waves on the pebbles and whatever the problem or stress, it fades away. Being outside is everything to me - I shall need to be very old before I can do without the surety and and comfort of nature in a garden.

Farzanah Sun 15-May-22 18:27:15

Walking is always good, but meditation always grounds me.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 15-May-22 18:17:42

Reading a book with the two cats sitting with me.Possibly a box of chocolates too!

annodomini Sun 15-May-22 18:14:12

Reading...sleeping...more reading...more sleeping! Mozart.

Blondiescot Sun 15-May-22 17:49:54

Reading usually does the trick for me, although if I'm particularly stressed I do find that a walk along a beach or just sitting listening to the waves really helps.

nadateturbe Sun 15-May-22 17:47:40

Oldnproud

'Letting' DH go off on his own for a weekend. I can't think of anything I find more relaxing than that. Bliss!

Bliss indeed!

Jaxjacky Sun 15-May-22 16:46:10

A really good, eye watering laugh, with MrJ, friends or my children, you can’t predict it or choose it, but when it happens, it’s magical.

Oldnproud Sun 15-May-22 16:40:14

'Letting' DH go off on his own for a weekend. I can't think of anything I find more relaxing than that. Bliss!

BeEmerald Sun 15-May-22 16:33:15

Listening to opera, preferably anything by Puccini, with a large glass of chilled white wine. Bliss. Heading off to open a bottle now.

Mine Sun 15-May-22 15:29:55

Reading a good book then falling fast asleep...Always feel better in the morning after doing that...

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 15-May-22 14:19:53

I like reading poetry which I find calming. Also knitting or sewing, if the project is not too difficult.

JaneJudge Sun 15-May-22 13:02:16

drinking and walking
a dangerous combination

shysal Sun 15-May-22 12:58:01

A soak in the bath with a good book.

Sitting in the sun in my garden, again with a good book.

missingmarietta Sun 15-May-22 12:43:01

Light gardening, sewing seeds, potting up, pruning, deadheading, tidying up in general. Pottering.

Reading a really good book, with a cup of tea and a shortbread biscuit/chocolate.

Playing music on YouTube, all the old pop hits and bits of classical music. Often brings tears but that's ok...

Walking anywhere green, leafy, away from traffic or on the beach.

Watching a good programme on the TV, often with nibbles.

Generally being totally engrossed with the activity, getting lost in it. And remembering good times.

grannyactivist Sun 15-May-22 12:31:52

My allotment is my ‘go to’ place. We have a large shed for me to lurk in when it’s cool and a patio for sitting in the sun. I like to wander among the plants and marvel at the new growth, get excited at the first fruits and enjoy watering and harvesting. (The Wonderful Man does all the heavy work. ?) Yesterday a flock of Goldfinch were taking turns on the nigella seeds in the bird feeder, joined by a chatty robin at the peanuts. Behind me I could hear the sound of the river and the surrounding trees were alive with birdsong. It’s a wonderful place and is my haven of peace.

nadateturbe Sun 15-May-22 12:19:47

That all sounds very interesting Philippa111.

What does your meditation involve?
Do you just clasp your hands?
We used to do free movement at Circle Dance.

Greenfinch Sun 15-May-22 12:12:28

A long bath.

Philippa111 Sun 15-May-22 12:11:17

I either meditate for up to an hour or put on my favourite music and dance around my living room giving free expression and letting my body unwind with specific movements, stretches etc. It's a bit like dancing therapy really. I've done it for over 30 years. I always feel uplifted after that.

My ex taught me something his grandmother taught him and that is to sit and shake your hands quite strongly for about 5 minutes... it works!

I also go for a walk along the shore nearby.

Athrawes Sun 15-May-22 12:00:53

At the moment it's reading but it can be listening to music, playing the piano [lack of practise though!] and meeting a friend.

maydonoz Sun 15-May-22 11:41:33

My favourites are;
Having a nice cup of tea or coffee
With a crossword on the go
Listening to LBC radio, especially Steve Allen or Nick Abbott. I find both very amusing.

timetogo2016 Sun 15-May-22 09:48:25

Bed clothes and a glass of red wine,after locking the front door.
No visitors after 6pm.

Cabbie21 Sun 15-May-22 08:38:51

Sounds contrary, but yesterday I attended a singing workshop which was quite demanding, intellectually, musically to some extent physically, and needing concentration, but so enjoyable, so much fun and satisfying in what was achieved. Afterwards, a huge smile in my face. Not sure if you can call that de-stressing, but very enjoyable.

UserNamesAreOverrated Sun 15-May-22 08:11:05

Shower, hairwash, comfies on - come downstairs for hot chocolate and carry on crocheting whatever I'm making at the time - at the moment it's a blanket but there's also a bathroom mat on the go, and a wire bowl is bubbling in the back of my mind.

nadateturbe Sat 14-May-22 23:09:15

I do miss my red wine. Since head injury in January not a drop.
Several ways. I need a lot of alone time.
A walk in nature.
Watching Tipping Point .
Listening to relaxing music (Hildegard Von Bingen is a favourite)
A bath with The Seekers farewell concert.
A light book on Kindle.
Listening to favourite hymns.
Foot massage.

Esspee Sat 14-May-22 22:54:01

I have an affinity with water. Being near streams, lochs or the sea brings me peace and joy.