Gransnet forums

Chat

Is there a price list for teeth treatment?

(35 Posts)
infoman Mon 16-May-22 05:03:41

at dental practices.
I think most of us grew up under NHS dentists then it moved towards "private treatment" Not sure if you got to see the dentist quicker or they inflicted less pain,but thats another story.
The check up is a set charge,so would any know what the price difference actually is between private and NHS treatment?

tickingbird Tue 17-May-22 17:23:32

Weren’t bad.

tickingbird Tue 17-May-22 17:23:15

Kittylester. Yes it was an emergency as I had had toothache all weekend. The teeth were bad as such but were loose. Although they were two big molars they came out easily. The private dentist wanted £340! £170 per tooth. I was in the chair 5 minutes!

muse Mon 16-May-22 15:15:08

My DH and I are with different practices but we both pay privately.

Both practices have their charges on the website and both give "from ..." figure. I pay £17 per month for two check ups and two hygienist appointments which involve more than a scale and polish. I pay a total of £204 per year. The same under the NHS would be £130.40 I also get 20% off all treatments.

I've had an implant and recently a quote for another. The quote is less than the one I had a couple of years ago as it involves less work than the other.

All NHS charges (3 bands + an emergency charge) are fixed and should be displayed in the waiting rooms and show what each band covers.
www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/dentists/dental-costs/understanding-nhs-dental-charges/

Aveline Mon 16-May-22 13:48:27

Quite true. Prevention is much better than cure. My now adult DS has been 'too busy' to go to the dentist for years and now bitterly regrets it. If only he'd listened to his old mum who took him for twice yearly check ups in his youth.

paddyann54 Mon 16-May-22 11:13:57

I had a back crown replace on the NHS a couple of years ago.We still have NHS dentists advertising they have spaces for new patients locally.Dental checkups are free as are eye checks .
Its that old prevention rather than much more expensive cure

Megs36 Mon 16-May-22 11:06:36

I had a fair amount of NHS treatment this year when bridge fell out. X-rays, extractions. matching denture (to replace bridge and kindness! All Band 3 less than £300. I was amazed. Private was mentioned in passing but not pushed.

annodomini Mon 16-May-22 11:05:20

DS has just had a root canal done on NHS for about half what I had to pay my private dentist.

Farzanah Mon 16-May-22 10:51:48

Dentists offer more treatments than they used to do back in the day when all were contracted to the NHS.
In many ways some private dentists have become more like beauticians with whitening, veneers and so on.

I have just had a quote for a molar root filling of £850 from my private dentist. This is complex and the aim is to save the tooth, but I am not rich and will have to budget for this. Would be extracted on NHS. Implants are also offered at private practices but do come at a huge cost, which many can’t afford.

I think nationally we are going backwards with regard to dental health. There are too few NHS dentists who are restricted by budget as to treatments they can offer.

Like everything else, OK if you can pay, but you’re stuffed if not. I can see people returning to the “good old days” of having all teeth removed when young to save later pain and expense.

kittylester Mon 16-May-22 10:33:44

My phone inserted another.

kittylester Mon 16-May-22 10:33:06

There have always been another anomalies in the dental contract that
allow dentists to behave unprofessionally.

NotSpaghetti Mon 16-May-22 10:27:18

kitty - I am only saying what my own dentist explained to me a few years ago when she retired. She was maybe considering the time involved in a complex filling v an extraction. She was very scathing of the NHS contract (as was The British Dental Association). Admittedly, it was a few years ago so maybe things have changed now. Let's hope so as she felt it was leading to unnecessary extractions.

Sparklefizz Mon 16-May-22 10:12:32

I'm with Denplan. My dentist is private only and absolutely brilliant. His practice is very much against trying to sell any procedures. In order to join Denplan you have to get your teeth "up to scratch" but I have been extremely grateful to have had treatment available during the pandemic. His practice paid £30,000 for air extraction and filtration units so as to be able to Covid-safely offer a full range of dental treatments, and he reopened long before other dentists were able to.

kittylester Mon 16-May-22 10:07:42

That's odd. We are on Denplan and I had to pay the lab fee when I needed a new partial denture as did dh for a crown.

Aveline Mon 16-May-22 10:04:34

kittylester- nope! Have never had to pay anything extra at all.

kittylester Mon 16-May-22 10:02:20

notspaghetti an NHS dentist gets 3 udas (units of dental activity) for any work in Band 2. Extraction or simple filling.

I think they are patients not clients.

Aveline, I think you would have to pay any lab costs incurred on top of your monthly DD.

Aveline Mon 16-May-22 09:25:29

We're with 'Denplan' so pay £14 a month. That covers two check ups and scale and polishes a year plus any other necessary work or emergency treatment. I've had a couple of extractions and X rays every three years with no extra charges. Seems fine by me.

NotSpaghetti Mon 16-May-22 09:21:55

infoman - why not look at the websites of the private dentists - many have the prices online.

NotSpaghetti Mon 16-May-22 09:19:48

kittylester I was talking about the fees paid to the dentist by the NHS scheme - not what the client pays.

I was also only sending the costs at one private dentist.
Like Monica, I also didn't pay £3000 for an implant but it was an "easy" implant to do.

kittylester Mon 16-May-22 08:41:51

ticking bird, I think that was emergency treatment.

M0nica Mon 16-May-22 08:39:36

I paid considerably less than £3,000 for an implant.

We went private when we moved to our current house as no NHS dentist in the area (I think there was only one) was accepting new patients.

cornergran Mon 16-May-22 08:28:09

We attend a large dental practice offering both private and NHS dental treatment. The dentist we had been seeing and were happy with moved to private work only. On request a list of charges was emailed - after absorbing the potentially eye watering costs for complex treatment we decided to swap practitioners and remain within the NHS.

I’m sure all private dentists would send a charge list. Why not phone a couple and ask for their charges infoman?

tickingbird Mon 16-May-22 08:25:25

I don’t understand the NHS price for an extraction. I had two back teeth removed as an emergency last year and paid £24.95 at an NHS dentist. Private dentists vary. It’s not £3000 per implant at all dentists. I’m having implants at a highly recommended dentist and it’s just under £2000 for an implant. Maybe it depends whereabouts in the UK you are.

Marydoll Mon 16-May-22 08:16:42

I had an NHS xray last week, when my crown fell out. It cost £3.99!

My last crown for my front tooth was a private one, but this replacement one, will be much cheaper, as it is at the back and I have opted for an NHS one.

kittylester Mon 16-May-22 08:07:50

NotSpaghetti

I was told that re NHS dentists removing a tooth pays the dentist substantially more than a complex filling does even though it's much quicker and easier procedure.

No it doesn't. See the above price list.

kittylester Mon 16-May-22 08:04:24

www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/dentists/dental-costs/how-much-will-i-pay-for-nhs-dental-treatment/

NHS dental band prices.

Dentists should have a list of their private charges on show in the practice