Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you iron tea towels

(289 Posts)
Beau1958 Mon 16-May-22 11:21:48

I was doing our ironing yesterday my other half gets through far many clothes than I
Anyway I’m ironing a couple of tea towels and I thought how many people actually iron them am I a minority ? I like to see them neat in the draw in the kitchen. I also iron my OH pants ?? am I mad !!

Greenfinch Mon 16-May-22 12:01:44

Yes I enjoy ironing tea towels and pants if they are made of cotton. I don’t have a tumble dryer . Does that make a difference?

Ailidh Mon 16-May-22 12:01:58

I love ironing tea towels. I enjoy the tight of a drawer full of crisp right angles.

Nell8 Mon 16-May-22 12:11:19

I hate ironing as a rule but occasionally enjoy doing pillow cases and tea towels. It's a chance to have the steam iron on full blast and aim for folded perfection. It's soothing in a simple way, like origami.
DH spends ages ironing his undies and clothes. Then he puts his shirts lopsided on hangers and crams them into the airing cupboard before wedging them back in his over-stuffed wardrobe. Can't see the point.

timetogo2016 Mon 16-May-22 12:14:15

Nope.

TerriBull Mon 16-May-22 12:15:14

No definitely not! There are many items that don't need ironing just folding, tea towels for example, I don't need them to look nice, just be clean. Other items that don't need ironing, t shirts, fitted sheets, you have to draw the line somewhere, I had a friend who ironed her knickers shock and no they weren't huge bloomers she was very slim, whoever coined the phrase, Shirly Conran I think, "life is too short to stuff a tomato" I'd add "to iron unnecessary items" I iron things that need ironing, shirts and pillow cases and duvet covers because I don't like those things looking crumpled and anyway, since my husband retired we split the ironing 50/50.

nandad Mon 16-May-22 12:16:17

I do iron tea towels but then other than underwear I iron most things. Sheets and duvet covers are ironed and starched. I enjoy ironing.

GrandmaKT Mon 16-May-22 12:19:37

Yes, I iron tea towels (but not towels). I like to see them tidily stacked in the drawer.

Glorianny Mon 16-May-22 12:21:19

It was Shirley Conran- but it was a mushroom!

I don't iron except when absolutely essential.
My mother ironed everything. She learned to iron using flat irons and said she loved using an electric iron because there was no danger of getting soot on your clean washing!
I just thought "Thank goodness I didn't have to do that! There would have been soot everywhere!"

rosie1959 Mon 16-May-22 12:43:32

Greenfinch

Yes I enjoy ironing tea towels and pants if they are made of cotton. I don’t have a tumble dryer . Does that make a difference?

Most definitely makes a difference the tumble dryer softens the garments
I don’t iron tea towels but I iron most of our clothes I prefer the just pressed look. Although it does depend on the fabric sometimes a quick finish off in the dryer after coming in from the line can release any crumples if you catch the garment just right

Mapleleaf Mon 16-May-22 12:45:48

It depends what kind of tea towel it is. If it’s a towelling type, then no, I don’t (I don’t iron towels, either). I just shake it and fold it, but if it’s smooth cotton or linen, then yes, I iron it. Like you, I find them easier to put away if ironed.
I also iron our undies as they are easier to store in the drawer if they’ve been ironed, and to be honest, it’s not an arduous task to iron them - much simpler than sheets! ?

Helen657 Mon 16-May-22 12:48:33

I iron only what is essential- last time I ironed anything was over 2 years ago! WFH during covid certainly reduced my need for smart clothes and I’m now a fan of clothing I wash and hang straight up so that creases drop out. No doubt if OH ever needs to wear a smart shirt I will put a towel on the kitchen side and iron it as a one off, but it hasn’t happened yet!! Can’t see me ever getting the ironing board out again (partly due to disability issues)
My mother ironed EVERYTHING, but did it during the day as she was a full time housewife, (I shan’t say “didn’t work” as that’s so untrue!), & she never understood why I just did what was essential!

Fishpieplease Mon 16-May-22 12:48:37

My mother really didn’t like housework BUT she always ironed tea towels as she said that meant she could stuff more into the drawer. I now do the same!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 16-May-22 12:49:04

I iron tea towels but not underwear which is going too far.

lemsip Mon 16-May-22 12:49:06

Noooooo! never..

Joseanne Mon 16-May-22 12:51:42

Yes, I do.
I iron everything.

Caleo Mon 16-May-22 12:54:35

It's easier to disinfcct these by a quick boil on the hob.

PinkCosmos Mon 16-May-22 12:58:23

I iron them depending on the material;. I have some that curl up along the long edge so I iron those. The thicker towelling one I just fold if they have been in the drier.

I iron most things except socks and underwear.

I always buy cotton sheets and duvets as I find polyester mixed too hot. They can be a nightmare to iron but I always do as I like to see a nicely ironed duvet on the bed

Cabbie21 Mon 16-May-22 12:59:28

Several of my tea towels have lovely pictures, illustrated maps, for example, so they get ironed. I only iron when I have a pile of things that need it, so about once a month, or more in summer as I wear more cotton items.

Teacheranne Mon 16-May-22 13:04:19

I’m in the no ironing camp, the last time I used my iron was to iron some craft squares to make Christmas tree decorations during the first lockdown!

I tend not to but clothes that need ironing such as linen as it annoys me when it gets creased as soon as I start wearing it! I recently bought some tunics in a crinkled fabric which are fantastic - no ironing and don’t get creased in a suitcase!

Zoejory Mon 16-May-22 13:07:25

I can't remember the last time I ironed anything.

Jaxjacky Mon 16-May-22 13:08:25

MrJ does the ironing, 99% his shirts, I fold my stuff and reckon body heat gets rid of any minor creases.

Maggierose Mon 16-May-22 13:10:01

I used to iron clothes but since I broke my wrist a couple of years ago and couldn’t iron I hardly ever do it. Shake and pull into shape from the washing machine, hang on an old fashioned wooden dryer and 99% of the time that’s enough.

HowVeryDareYou Mon 16-May-22 13:10:16

I iron for 3 adults (and 2 GC every weekend). I think I have more than enough ironing to do, without ironing things for the sake of it - teatowls and knickers? Madness. Bedding? I fold things straight and flatten them down.

Nacky Mon 16-May-22 13:18:14

Yes, one of the few items I iron. I have a small storage drawer for tea towels and they fit in better when ironed. Quite satisfying too!

Blossoming Mon 16-May-22 13:22:24

I iron tea towels or they don’t fit in the drawer. Takes very little time and effort in the steam press.