Gransnet forums

Chat

How Much????

(108 Posts)
vegansrock Wed 18-May-22 07:21:23

I know we have been getting used to rising prices over the last couple of years - but yesterday I was at a very child friendly museum and GC wanted an ice lolly. Good idea I said - it was a hot day - went to the cafe where I was shocked to note that a small toddler sized rocket ice lolly was £2.50! An ice cream cone - one scoop £3, two scoops £5. A small bag of crisps - £1.50. A round of ice creams for a family could be £20- that on top of travel, entry fees to the special exhibitions, food and drinks etc. would make an expensive day out. I haven’t had to buy an ice lolly for ages so I was shocked by the prices. I’m sure they were less than £1 a couple of years ago. I know I could make my own, take a picnic etc ( I do) but you can’t pack ice lollies for a hot day out. Any other price rises taken you by surprise?

poshpaws Wed 18-May-22 16:54:53

Petera

BlueBelle

Well many of us saw where this was going two years ago

Not food but yesterday as my Co worker and I left work there was a truck parked near my house with about a dozen trees in the open back the driver was out having a breath of fresh air or maybe a ciggy but he was near by
Being curious we had a closer look they were olive trees with price tags on each one they were £2050 each, yes you read that correctly I didn’t make a mistake
Who the heck would be buying them my town is considered a deprived area !!

It was probably someone taking advice from a Conservative MP: "Save money by growing your own olives!"

Nice one, Petera!

buffyfly9 Wed 18-May-22 17:03:04

Round here in North Norfolk you will be lucky to see a piece of cake/Victoria sponge for under £4. I meet a friend at local farm shop that has a good cafe; fried egg on sourdough toast (one slice) plus an Americano coffee is £9.50 !
I make my own bread and buy my flour in a 16kg sack but even that needs thinking about because the oven has to be at 200 for at least half an hour. I've just been into Tesco and whilst there are a few bargains everything has rocketed in price. I feel so sorry for people who are struggling for money and I agree with a previous post, this government has no idea how real life is lived, you just have to listen to Rees-Mogg spout his rubbish to know that. I hate the whole lot of them.

nadateturbe Wed 18-May-22 17:09:25

This is shocking.
The future looks bad.

Farzanah Wed 18-May-22 17:35:57

I think the time of cheap food has gone, and I do not think it will return. This is devastating for those who are already struggling to make ends meet, without further fuel increases, and who depend on cheap and filling food to feed their families.

Who’d have thought that we, a fish eating nation, export most of the fish we catch, and import most, including 40% of white fish from Russia!

Milk has been at an artificially low price for years, and many dairy farmers have ceased dairy because they could not make a profit.

Supermarkets have been stuffed with so many different foods and choices, and until food bank donations, lots of food went to waste.

The future does indeed look bumpy in so many ways and I guess we will gradually have to become more self sufficient, but it won’t happen over night that’s for sure.

kircubbin2000 Wed 18-May-22 18:11:53

Cat food box £3.50 last year £4.75 in local shop. Big box up from £11 to £12 but none on the shelf.

Mine Wed 18-May-22 19:28:07

As BOZ pointed out £4.25p for Lurpak butter...Shocking!!! Love it but just wouldn't pay that..Bought Aldis own make.. Not exactly the same but will make do...

Kim19 Wed 18-May-22 20:44:39

Bought my milk in Aldi today at 99p. Tesco's has gone up to £1:29.

JaneJudge Wed 18-May-22 20:47:14

a tank of fuel for a week is now the same cost as one full days wage per week at work now for a lot of people
wtf are people going to do?

JaneJudge Wed 18-May-22 20:47:33

I realise this was about luxury in a cafe on a day out

Dickens Wed 18-May-22 21:10:52

BlueBelle

Well many of us saw where this was going two years ago

Not food but yesterday as my Co worker and I left work there was a truck parked near my house with about a dozen trees in the open back the driver was out having a breath of fresh air or maybe a ciggy but he was near by
Being curious we had a closer look they were olive trees with price tags on each one they were £2050 each, yes you read that correctly I didn’t make a mistake
Who the heck would be buying them my town is considered a deprived area !!

... how big were the olive trees?

Are you saying they were over two thousand pounds each?

I'd better protect mine - they are around 1.1m tall They cost £14.99 each... KERCHING!

You can buy five mature trees - around 2.2m (7ft 2) - for £740.

vegansrock Wed 18-May-22 21:15:36

janejudge Yes it was originally about an ice lolly , which I wouldn’t class as the worlds biggest “ luxury”, but just using it as an example of the astronomical price rises of some products which have taken us by surprise. I don’t think treating a little one to an occasional ice lolly should be beyond the average person’s means.

CanadianGran Wed 18-May-22 21:23:54

On a side-note, I find it odd that you have restaurants at garden centres.
Garden centres here are pots and plants etc. By no means fancy.

But yes, treats out do cost an awful lot. It was a very rare treat for my children to have snacks while on an outing. They are more generous with their own children, but I think our budgets were tighter when we were raising them.

Inflation has been horrible; I put down a red pepper at the store when I saw the price. Silly because we like red peppers and it's not going to break us, but cumulatively the cost of food shopping has really gone up.

Sara1954 Wed 18-May-22 21:30:42

At the cinema, three bottles of water, three packets of sweets, just over £20.

Dickens Wed 18-May-22 21:33:49

Farzanah

The future does indeed look bumpy in so many ways and I guess we will gradually have to become more self sufficient, but it won’t happen over night that’s for sure.

The answer's simple, according to Rachel Maclean, safeguarding minister in the Home Office... she admitted the idea would not work for all households, but said the solution for some people could be to look for additional work. Or get a better paying job.

I suspect some will take on extra work - some already do. Better paying jobs are not that easy to find if you haven't any wanted skills.

I wonder what she thinks the households who can do neither should do?

... not very helpful. The advice given to the poor by those who are comfortable, usually isn't. Because it's hardly ever from a compassionate or realistic viewpoint.

The fact is, in spite of all the talk of levelling up and wages boosts - we are a low-wage economy. And we're expected to run even faster, just to stay in the same place. A two-income household should be able to earn enough to live on without one, or both, having to take on yet another job.

"Poverty is not an accident. Like slavery and apartheid, it is man-made and can be removed by the actions of human beings.” (N.Mandela)

25Avalon Wed 18-May-22 21:35:31

I notice the coffee shops in town and two farm type shops/cafes just outside are always heaving with people every day. Some people obviously still have money to burn.

Farzanah Thu 19-May-22 10:41:24

The huge rise in prices disproportionately affects the poorest who cannot afford basis foodstuffs, never mind treats, but it will have a knock on effect on the comfortably off. Coffee shops, restaurants and garden centres will be closing, and many other businesses likewise, putting many out of work.

I guess the chancellor is waiting for a few to die of starvation before he makes a move sad

25Avalon Thu 19-May-22 10:55:12

Maybe I might be able to get casual bar staff then! I have empty shifts at present.

Witzend Thu 19-May-22 11:06:07

OTOH last summer we took elder Gdcs (then 5 and 6) into central London. At the Tower of London shop (visited against our instincts needless to say!) Gds was agog for a large plastic battleaxe. (!)

My initial reaction was Absolutely not! - vastly overpriced plastic tat, etc…

So I don’t mind admitting I was surprised to see a price tag of £4.99, when I was expecting £10 or even more.

Yes, I’m afraid to say I bought him one - he was gleefully brandishing it all the way home.

Casdon Thu 19-May-22 11:09:59

25Avalon

Maybe I might be able to get casual bar staff then! I have empty shifts at present.

You probably will, but they will be people who were previously in full time work until the recession closed the place they were working before.

25Avalon Thu 19-May-22 11:12:13

I think my casual staff (I have 8or9) may find they want to work instead of leaving me in the lurch.

25Avalon Thu 19-May-22 11:12:52

Or should I say need to work.

Joseanne Thu 19-May-22 11:26:52

25Avalon

I notice the coffee shops in town and two farm type shops/cafes just outside are always heaving with people every day. Some people obviously still have money to burn.

I've just had coffee and almond croissant (£7) in a very busy café overlooking the sea. It seemed a lot, but they know there is a queue of people waiting.
I bought a crab yesterday which was only £1 more than last year. I thought that was fair considering the increase in cost of fuel for the boat and electricity for the steamer to cook them. I'm guessing the lady dressing them (4 crates full) isn't actually earning any more than she did before.

JdotJ Thu 19-May-22 11:27:22

An average size bag of pine nuts is now £5 in Tesco !!!
I've asked for them (tongue in cheek) as a birthday present as I shall no longer buy them at that price.
Scandalous

greenlady102 Thu 19-May-22 11:31:40

3nanny6

I often took two of my grand-daughters to a garden center with me which has a large cafeteria where you can sit inside on warm days there is seating outside all very nice. The bowls of chips were always hot and well cooked (freshly done in the kitchen) and only £1.25p. What I found to be so expensive was the large various cakes all covered over and fresh. The cake was £4.50p a slice and the grand-daughters were always attracted to it and wanted a slice each. That was the price before Covid came and I have not been at the center since then. I would like to know how much that cake is now I think I will pop over there without the grand-daughters and have a look. I would not pay that price for cake anymore much too expensive for a treat at the garden center.

I think that the problem with that kind of cake is the wasteage. It doesn't keep for long once purchased or thawed so the price has to reflect that.

Marmite1953 Thu 19-May-22 11:35:18

It has nothing to do with the current prices rising ,museums,events,airports etc have always charged extortionate prices …because they can ?