Gransnet forums

Chat

Backpack or crossbody bag?

(93 Posts)
nandad Thu 19-May-22 09:24:28

Going away, need to have hands free to help OH at airport, want room for iPad, water bottle and other essentials and to use day to day. Can’t work out which is the more comfortable and practical. Does a small backpack make your back ache and is it a bother to keep on taking off your back? Do the straps cut in if it weighs too much?

wildswan16 Tue 18-Oct-22 09:40:28

When travelling I use a small backpack - water, book, handgel, tissues, scarf etc. But also a small crossbody bag for my tickets, boarding cards, passport, phone, money - that way I can access them all easily and they are safely in front of me.

nanna8 Tue 18-Oct-22 09:03:37

After my husband got things stolen by a very skilled thief in Bali we stuck with cross body bags round the front and kept our hands on them !

Diamondlace Tue 18-Oct-22 08:54:43

As others have said, I use both. I bought a fab little waterproof cross body from Amazon which is so lightweight and perfect to hold a phone, passport, keys, cash and cards. I feel safer with such valuables where I can see them and also they are so much easier to access than when in a backpack. The ipad and travel documents etc I keep in a backpack but I use one of those key clips to "lock" the zip pulls together .... just to make it more difficult for any would be thief to open the zip.

aggie Mon 17-Oct-22 12:48:21

I hope you had a good travel experience nandad what did you get in the end ?

SparklyGrandma Mon 17-Oct-22 12:30:01

I would recommend a very light cross body bag.Some cheaper leather bags are quite heavy.

Safer than a rucksack. When travelling a cross body bag can be worn under a coat or jacket.

Safe travels…

Farzanah Mon 17-Oct-22 12:17:33

I use a day backpack always when travelling. When in doubtful areas I have it on the front. I also use a lock, and a carabiner and I can attach it to my chair when in cafes etc. the shoulders are well padded and comfortable even with an arthritic back. I have a smaller bag inside but don’t carry cash or credit cards in my bag when travelling. Interior hidden pockets (Rohan clothing). Never victim of theft yet, fingers crossed,

Jordanmal Mon 17-Oct-22 11:22:43

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

JackyB Tue 24-May-22 10:16:31

Sorry, wrong YouTube link

youtu.be/Ipa2Hh4-meM

JackyB Tue 24-May-22 10:01:31

This is already a very long thread and I'm not sure if anyone will read this far, but for what it's worth here are my comments. I apologise for repeating what has been said because I haven't read right through yet either! Up until the pandemic I flew a lot to and from the UK, especially whilst my mother was weakening and after her death to sort things out.

Backpacks

I find that a backpack if full of heavy stuff, such as on a hike or as a day at when on holiday, makes my neck ache and I end up with a headache. It is better for the back than an asymmetrical shoulder or crossbody bag, though. And, of course, as everyone says, it's hard to gauge if you're going to hit someone with it if you stand up or turn round, and you can't keep your eye on it - if something is taken you may not notice for a good while.

As you will need both hands to help your DH, though, it certainly is the best solution, so if you go for this, check that it has as many anti-theft features as possible.

Crossbody bags

I have never used one of these, although I often use a tiny handbag with a very long strap worn diagonally UNDER my jacket or cardigan.mthe bag always in front of me, the flap on the inside.

I am thinking of getting on of the ones described here by this lady, who has sensible advice (if you don't mind her accent!)

youtu.be/rCKHgLI40Dg

They are more expensive but with all the precautions taken in the manufacture of the bag, you should have your mind free to cope with the extra worry of caring for another person.

Conclusion

So I would go with the double solution - a crossbody bag under your jacket and a backpack for extra clothes but nothing too heavy. You can carry an empty water bottle through security if you are flying and you will be surprised what you don't really need while travelling. Keep it light and minimal. Don't clutter yourself with things that you can pick up as you go.

HTH and apologies once again for repeating what others have said. Off to read the rest of the thread now.

MayBee70 Mon 23-May-22 22:18:18

Jess20

A backpack, much better for your back/posture but check it has pockets on the bit that goes next to your back as it's more secure than the front. I also use a money belt or small bum-bag if I'm travelling.

Was just about to say that. People can take things out of your backpack.

Jess20 Mon 23-May-22 22:09:08

A backpack, much better for your back/posture but check it has pockets on the bit that goes next to your back as it's more secure than the front. I also use a money belt or small bum-bag if I'm travelling.

Shandy57 Mon 23-May-22 19:00:05

I remember my flat mate going to India in 1978. She had a big cotton cross body bag across her front and was coming down the steps of the bus when someone slashed the front of her bag and took her purse. Sometimes there is no stopping desperate thieves.

Goldieoldie15 Sun 22-May-22 23:46:15

Visited Naples, pre-pandemic, stayed in a very nice hotel. When the concierge spotted me wearing a small backpack, he ran after me ( I was already outside by then) and breathlessly commanded me to put my rucksack in front ( rather than back) to protect against thieves. Not very comfortable (or stylish) but clearly safer. Hardly ever wore rucksack style bags since then when in “challenging” environment. They are also a bit of a fag for getting things in and out of them. And then when you’re in the shops - prone to knocks things off the shelves. Mind you you can always wear it half-slings on one arm, but then it somewhat defeats the object of distributing load etc.

BlackCat16 Sun 22-May-22 23:06:58

I have bought crossbody bags from Pacsafe. They have many safety features, straps which have metal running through them so they can’t be cut, a clip to hold the top zip closed so it can’t be opened without you being aware. The style I bought, the Stylesafe Anti-Theft Convertible Crossbody bag, is very light, can cope with fairly heavy rain, has a number of pockets, including a padded section for a tablet.

Margiknot Sun 22-May-22 22:42:03

I quite like using a bumbag ( with well padded strap and zipped pockets - one accessed from the body side) for the smaller essentials- worn with the bag at the front- or on alternating sides The weight then falls onto my hips. A bum bag can be worn with a rucksack. Using both a day sac ( spare clothing and lunch) with a bumbag ( passports/ water bottle works quite well.
Which size iPad do you have? A standard iPad may be better in a padded secure backbag- designed to protect it and take the weight.
I have a healthy back cross bag which I used for many years, so I can’t remember the size name - probably medium? Mine does not easily fit my IPad- (air4) due to the triangular shape, perhaps a bigger one would. I would prefer a better padded strap and padding close to the body for heavier articles like drinks and tablets.
Recently I’ve been using a water fly crossbody bag. It has a very well padded shoulder strap but is a bit small for my iPad- again because of the shape- it will just fit in the biggest compartment, but won’t quite zip up securely. It would take an mini iPad so might be suitable for your needs, if you have a small tablet.

Nan0 Sun 22-May-22 20:49:42

I have a small karabiner clip that goes through the zips so backpack can't be zipped open without you noticing, you can get them in slit proof fabric..my backpack contents can be emptied into the pockets of a tropical sleeveless safari jacket I have in light but strong cotton mix for eg airports, my back pack pack holds a waterbottle, an ipad if I had one, but I use my mobile, instead, all my passport and covid pass tickets, sticking pladters tissues tube of sun cream , a sarong a swimming costume and a sun hat and a book, or any medication for my husband etc

Shandy57 Sun 22-May-22 12:32:15

I used to visit my friend in Ireland on the coach too Redhead56, not the most comfortable of journeys! Victoria to Skibbereen. It was preseat belt days and I remember going over a bump and the tall man in front hit his head on the bus roof.

Redhead56 Sun 22-May-22 12:14:01

I just returned from trip to southern Ireland I used a small back pack. I also took a small crossover bag for phone etc. I came home with back ache. Not from the back pack as it wasn't heavy. It was sitting on the coach long hours and getting on and off the coach.

Jannicans Sat 21-May-22 23:29:56

Hilarious, I do that without even realising it.

Jannicans Sat 21-May-22 23:27:20

I use a chest pack which is small and light and easily accessible and leaves hands free and holds all that I need. Above all it doesn't cause neck or back issues.

Bluedaisy Sat 21-May-22 14:22:49

I’m usually on crutches and use a cross body bag by Kipling that has lots of compartments.

nandad Sat 21-May-22 10:05:09

Thank you all for your thoughts, the links and photos. Off to try all of the suggestions today, husband is already groaning!
I hope you all have a lovely summer, irrespective of the bag you carry. X

Granless Sat 21-May-22 07:30:55

I have a Kipling smallish back pack … best thing I bought for a few reasons: was getting an uncomfortable shoulder; leaves hands free; zip at back so purse etc safe; holds a bit of shopping; very comfortable and, for me personally who has osteoporosis, a back pack was recommended by the Royal Osteoporosis Society re weight-bearing … so, can recommend all round.

gulligranny Fri 20-May-22 16:50:45

Cross-body bag all the time. When I'm in charge of the world I'm going to ban backpacks unless those using them have undertaken an intensive training programme - I'm quite short and I'm tired of being bumped and barged by careless backpackers who don't seem to know or care about the carnage they leave in their wake.

Of course, I'm sure all you GN backpackers would never be so thoughtless ....

TwiceAsNice Fri 20-May-22 16:47:53

Cross body bag always you can get them in all sizes with adjustable straps and will loads of different pockets/compartments. Personally I hate rucksacks, heavy ad uncomfortable