Gransnet forums

Chat

Backpack or crossbody bag?

(93 Posts)
nandad Thu 19-May-22 09:24:28

Going away, need to have hands free to help OH at airport, want room for iPad, water bottle and other essentials and to use day to day. Can’t work out which is the more comfortable and practical. Does a small backpack make your back ache and is it a bother to keep on taking off your back? Do the straps cut in if it weighs too much?

rafichagran Thu 19-May-22 15:00:14

Shandy57

I have a backpack and a small Kipling crossbody bag for essentials for travelling.

Same. Majes life easier.

MiniMoon Thu 19-May-22 15:40:18

I went to the post office wearing my little backpack bag. When I took it off to get my purse I discovered that it was open. Fortunately I keep my purse, cards etc in the zipped up pocket in the back which was against my body.
When we went on holidaym I took my kilpling bag. It has an adjustable strap so I can wear it across my body. I felt much safer that way.

Madgran77 Thu 19-May-22 16:38:28

I have a ruck sack style handbag - since then my neck ache has cleared up. I would say backpack/rucksack is better and easier. A cross body causes neck and shoulder problems, particularly if heavy!

MissAdventure Thu 19-May-22 16:40:58

A backpack does have the advantage in that you can whack unsuspecting people around with it, just by turning this way and that.
All the better if they're seated, for headshots.

dustyangel Thu 19-May-22 16:59:26

I’ve got Healthy Back Bags in various sizes, when my back is particularly sore or when I’m using a stick, I put it on crossways so that I can open it from the front.

Actually I keep meaning to order another one to replace my everyday one. I’ve had it for years and it’s not worn at all but it has faded from the sun.

Callistemon21 Thu 19-May-22 17:06:49

MissAdventure

A backpack does have the advantage in that you can whack unsuspecting people around with it, just by turning this way and that.
All the better if they're seated, for headshots.

The large ones with a frame are best for that.

Jodieb Thu 19-May-22 17:14:59

If you go for a back pack make sure the straps are padded for comfort.

lixy Thu 19-May-22 17:28:41

I use a small backpack but have essentials (money, passports etc) in zipped trouser pockets when travelling.
I got fed up with having to take the bag off every time I wanted something, but find a backpack balances my body better than a crossover bag.

Lark123 Thu 19-May-22 17:47:35

I would use a well-designed cross-body bag, over a small back pack or any back pack.
They are difficult to get into and it takes more time.
I don't like my things behind me where I can't see them.

A well- designed cross-body bag is comfortable, well-designed so that it doesn't swing forward, like some do.

Also I have worn, and I dislike the name, a 'bum bag' for my important papers etc.. It really feels secure when travelling to have it so close to you, comfortable and as unobtrusive as you can make it with clothing.
Have a lovely trip, Nandadsmile

Serendipity22 Thu 19-May-22 17:55:50

Hi there. I think what is right for someone is wrong for others, in my view there is only yourself who can say whichever is suitable.

Personally a cross over bag that holds the items you want it to hold would be too heavy for me and being a crossover, the weight is contained at 1 side, whereas a backpack would mean the weight was central so neither L nor R was taking all the weight....

Wherever you are going I hope you have a really lovely time... smile

Blondiescot Thu 19-May-22 19:06:32

I have one of each, which I bought as a 'bundle' from MiaTui. The crossbody bag is small, so doesn't weigh much, but it's the ideal size for carrying my purse, phone and a few other bits and bobs. I could probably fit my Kindle into it too if necessary. If I need to carry more than that for any reason, I use the backpack, which has a clip you can use to 'lock' the front pocket so no-one could access it easily, but it also has a zipped pocket at the back (so next to your back) where you could keep your purse or phone or anything you consider to be more valuable.

Doodle Thu 19-May-22 19:19:55

I bought a sling type chest bag from Amazon. It’s like one that you wear in you back but at the front. It has pockets and side holders for bottles. I used it when DH was in hospital and I had to carry iPad and essentials with me. As it s in front of you it’s easy to undo zips and take things out

nandad Fri 20-May-22 00:11:26

Thank you all for taking the time to answer and for your good wishes. We are island hopping and so bag needs to be practical as well as comfortable. I’m useless at choosing travel/holiday bags and never seem to get it right. Our last break I took a cross body bag but it was too small for ‘airport stuff’ and became really heavy. I used OH’s day backpack when we were out and about and found that I was constantly taking it off my back to get things out and then struggling to find things in it. Other women seem to cope with them so much more easily. I like the idea of a sling type of bag like the healthy back ones so will investigate if that’s going to be suitable.
MA - you are naughty grin

Philippa111 Fri 20-May-22 11:34:30

I always use a cross body anyway as I like to have my hands free in shops, getting on ad off buses etc. As others have said easy access and safe. Kipling make them in lots of sizes. They are very light weight and washable and some of the designs are quite nice. If you have too much in them though they do become uncomfortable. The width of the cross body strap makes the difference. If its too thin then it will dig in . A wider one spreads the load more. You could always have both, of course! I like easy access to my phone purse and keys.

Nannashirlz Fri 20-May-22 11:34:37

I’m a reviewer and last year I was given a healthy backpack to review. I’ve arthritis and it helps me I use it regularly for what you looking for I would say get the small one it’s light waterproof and pack able should you wish to put into your luggage and not like any other backpack you find in a shop. I’ve attached a photo to show you.

Boolya Fri 20-May-22 11:45:55

I wore my backpack across my front when travelling recently.

win Fri 20-May-22 11:48:27

I totally agree you will need and love both

missdeke Fri 20-May-22 11:55:54

A cross body bag is more convenient to get into but a backpack distributes weight better, the type shown on the healthy bag company page seems to do the best of both. As long as you can fit all you want into it that would seem to be the best bet.

Alioop Fri 20-May-22 11:58:28

I always use a cross body bag as I can keep an eye on it.

Janelle17 Fri 20-May-22 11:58:39

I always use a crossbody bag and, depending on the climate, wear it under my jacket or under a loose open top so it’s not easily visible and to deter thieves from either cutting the strap or opening it when I’m distracted.

HannahLoisLuke Fri 20-May-22 12:00:24

You can wear a backpack on your front as long as it’s not too heavy. Then you can easily get at stuff quickly and thieves can’t help themselves without your knowledge. For small things I prefer a cross body bag or even a bumbag if you only need your phone, wallet etc.

sandelf Fri 20-May-22 12:01:16

Have a look at sling backpacks - one shoulder, on your back, but easy to sling off or around to front. Usually lots of sections so can keep just your minimum in some areas and stuff it to the max for whole days/funny weather etc. Have a lovely time.

Bennydian Fri 20-May-22 12:19:12

I use a Travelon Anti Theft crossbody bucket with RFID, and a lightweight packable backpack bag for purchases.

Merryweather Fri 20-May-22 12:26:03

I’ve got a bag where you can convert the straps quickly and easily so it converts from a cross body to a rucksack- best of both worlds for back and security.

Quizzer Fri 20-May-22 12:28:21

Small backpack is comfortable for me but be aware that a backpack is the best thing for pickpockets who exist even in airports. For safety wear it as a front pack!