Gransnet forums

Chat

Backpack or crossbody bag?

(93 Posts)
nandad Thu 19-May-22 09:24:28

Going away, need to have hands free to help OH at airport, want room for iPad, water bottle and other essentials and to use day to day. Can’t work out which is the more comfortable and practical. Does a small backpack make your back ache and is it a bother to keep on taking off your back? Do the straps cut in if it weighs too much?

Lindylou57 Fri 20-May-22 12:52:57

This may have been said, but you can now buy a backpack that has reverse opening , so zip etc is close to body not facing outwards. Look up Anti Theft backpack on internet. Hope this helps.

nannypiano Fri 20-May-22 12:53:56

I use the old fashioned bum bag for most of my outings. I never ever use a handbag since someone tried to snatch it from me in a shopping centre. Would probably use a back pack for larger items, but only if I could fit a pad lock for safety.

Dee1012 Fri 20-May-22 12:56:31

MissAdventure

A backpack does have the advantage in that you can whack unsuspecting people around with it, just by turning this way and that.
All the better if they're seated, for headshots.

This did make me smile...I used to travel by train a lot and the numbers of aisle passengers nearly knocked out by people with backpacks was astonishing!
Why not just take the bloody thing off when you board or be aware of other people ?!!

NannaFirework Fri 20-May-22 13:00:24

Cross body every time !
Dislike backpacks ?

KnittyNannie Fri 20-May-22 14:01:44

I have back and shoulder problems, and always use a back pack. The one I use is very lightweight and folds into its inside pocket when not in use. I bought mine from Amazon years ago, and it cost about £10 then. I think the brand is Zomake. It’s described as ultra lightweight.

JdotJ Fri 20-May-22 14:05:05

I have several Kipling cross body bags, small and medium size which are very roomy with lots of compartments plus wide comfy strap for across your shoulder, leaving you hands free

Childofthe60s Fri 20-May-22 14:19:57

My son developed costochondritis from using a cross body bag, according to his GP.

Nannagarra Fri 20-May-22 14:42:46

When carrying as much as you will be, I prefer a backpack. I wear it at the front when I’m in a place which I don’t consider too safe.
Like Nannashirlz I have a healthy back bag - a small green one for my phone, keys, tissue, etc. They are sold in various sizes.
Credit cards, folded notes together with a small piece of paper with details for the bank and any contacts needed whilst I’m away I clip onto my waistband in the black GO purse shown. For a sense of scale, I’ve photographed it with my phone.

JadeOlivia Fri 20-May-22 14:48:08

The problem with backpacks is that they need to be worn as frontpacks these days ...please don' t wear a backpack on your back ...so many stories of things being stolen from them.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 20-May-22 14:48:19

If you have any issues with your shoulders, you may well find a back-pack hurts.

A large back-pack will need to go in the baggage hold of the plane, and to avoid damage to the straps and click-fasteners, you will need to either sew or find a suitable cloth bag or sack to put it into while in transit.

A small back-pack can go as hand luggage, but check with the airline about what size they allow as cabin luggage. Most airlines do not permit you to have any liquids in your hand-baggage these days, except medicine that you need in -flight and have a doctor's letter about, so the water bottle will need to be empty.

I have never used a cross body bag, so can't advise on them.

Never have money, your passport etc, in either hand-luggage or other luggage while travelling. Keep it in a money belt, strapped round your waist and preferably tucked into your underpants as well. That way you will assuredly notice anyone attempting to steal it. I pin my money belt with safety pins to my clothing as well for extra security.

Sloegin Fri 20-May-22 15:04:15

I have a selection of backpacks which I use for everything from shopping to weekend bags. I find a medium sized backpack combined with the smallest sized Kipling crossbody just big enough for cards,passport, tickets purse etc works best for me. I can carry a far heavier weight on my back than in a bag but convenient and more secure to have cards etc at the front. This is the sort of small bag I mean-
www.kipling.com/uk-en/bags-c10544/new-eldorado-admiral-blue-ki729172i00-999.html

Madashell Fri 20-May-22 15:17:30

Healthy Back Bag, but not a leather one which is very heavy to start. The one I have has turned out to not be waterproof so you may need to check that. It’s full of internal and external pockets and a clip inside for keys. I wear mine to the front and if in a crowd I cradle it to avoid any unpleasantness. I can wear it with the strap on left or right shoulder which leaves me hands free for other bags/coats/drink etc. I even have a large one for hiking as a rucksack type gives me a headache, and it’s a bagger when you want to find something! Have a good trip!

Hetty58 Fri 20-May-22 15:54:30

I have a military chest rig bag (on a back harness) for cycling and travel. Everything's within reach and safe, yet it can be worn under a coat or open over shirt. I have a back injury, so need to centre the weight - but I would find using a backpack rather difficult.

GranJan60 Fri 20-May-22 16:01:53

I bought a MiaTui backpack online because of backache from a heavy shoulder bag. It’s very good - not leather but hardwearing and looks nice. You can clip the zips together to make it secure too.

Anrol Fri 20-May-22 16:14:54

I use a backpack with the zip compartment against your back so no access to thieves.

vissos Fri 20-May-22 16:32:27

I use both at the same time. Can carry up to 6 or 7kg of shopping or enough gear for a long weekend in the backpack & bits I want quick access to in the cross body bag.
I've just bought a smaller, 'going out' backpack that opens on the side against your back in the hope I might have some days out this year.

seadragon Fri 20-May-22 16:41:40

www.fluentu.com/blog/travel/front-loading-travel-backpacks/ ?

TwiceAsNice Fri 20-May-22 16:47:53

Cross body bag always you can get them in all sizes with adjustable straps and will loads of different pockets/compartments. Personally I hate rucksacks, heavy ad uncomfortable

gulligranny Fri 20-May-22 16:50:45

Cross-body bag all the time. When I'm in charge of the world I'm going to ban backpacks unless those using them have undertaken an intensive training programme - I'm quite short and I'm tired of being bumped and barged by careless backpackers who don't seem to know or care about the carnage they leave in their wake.

Of course, I'm sure all you GN backpackers would never be so thoughtless ....

Granless Sat 21-May-22 07:30:55

I have a Kipling smallish back pack … best thing I bought for a few reasons: was getting an uncomfortable shoulder; leaves hands free; zip at back so purse etc safe; holds a bit of shopping; very comfortable and, for me personally who has osteoporosis, a back pack was recommended by the Royal Osteoporosis Society re weight-bearing … so, can recommend all round.

nandad Sat 21-May-22 10:05:09

Thank you all for your thoughts, the links and photos. Off to try all of the suggestions today, husband is already groaning!
I hope you all have a lovely summer, irrespective of the bag you carry. X

Bluedaisy Sat 21-May-22 14:22:49

I’m usually on crutches and use a cross body bag by Kipling that has lots of compartments.

Jannicans Sat 21-May-22 23:27:20

I use a chest pack which is small and light and easily accessible and leaves hands free and holds all that I need. Above all it doesn't cause neck or back issues.

Jannicans Sat 21-May-22 23:29:56

Hilarious, I do that without even realising it.

Redhead56 Sun 22-May-22 12:14:01

I just returned from trip to southern Ireland I used a small back pack. I also took a small crossover bag for phone etc. I came home with back ache. Not from the back pack as it wasn't heavy. It was sitting on the coach long hours and getting on and off the coach.