Gransnet forums

Chat

Would you ever go to the cinema/ theatre on your own?

(162 Posts)
Kandinsky Thu 19-May-22 12:28:53

I wish I had the nerve but I’d feel a bit silly going on my own - not sure why really?

I wouldn’t go to a restaurant or cafe on my own either, as for a pub! ?

NutRocker Fri 20-May-22 16:19:08

We go to the theatre usually to see my favourite music shows (rather than plays) If OH didn't go for some reason, I would definitely go on my own now, but I completely understand Kand, we can feel a bit conspicuous doing these things on our own.Though with this type of show, it'd be very easy to strike up a conversation with the person you're seated next to at the start, and likewise in the interval if you go and get yourself a drink. Nobody else would think you odd at all.

Froglady Fri 20-May-22 16:35:51

I always go on my own to the cinema or the theatre as I don't have anybody to go with.
Quite often in an afternoon there may be only another 1 or 2 people at the cinema.

Bluecat Fri 20-May-22 16:41:09

I have been to the cinema on my own, though that was long ago, and in cafes more recently though I have usually taken a book. I also had a book with me on my one solo visit to the pub. I enjoyed it, sitting there in peace, reading my book and sipping my beer.

When I was young, I went alone to see several performers, because I didn't know anyone else who wanted to see them. I had tried to persuade other people to come with me to see Charles Aznavour but nobody wanted to, so I decided to go alone. It was a brilliant show and, after that, I didn't hesitate if there was someone I wanted to see.

The trouble is, we think that we are more conspicuous than we are. If you see someone sitting alone in the cinema or in a cafe, how much thought do you give it? A few seconds? None at all? Most people are too wrapped up in their own concerns to spare much thought for people who aren't bothering them.

If you want to do something, just do it. Don't worry about what other people think. Chances are that they are not thinking about you at all.

TwiceAsNice Fri 20-May-22 16:49:09

Cinema yes, theatre no. I also often go to a cafe on my own

Neilspurgeon0 Fri 20-May-22 16:54:17

Of course, why wouldn’t one ?

Mauriherb Fri 20-May-22 17:03:46

I'm happy to go to the cinema or theatre alone. Also I don't mind going in a restaurant alone, and I've been on holiday alone too. I've got a lot of friends but they don't always enjoy the same things that I do

grannybuy Fri 20-May-22 17:03:50

Yes, no problem. I don’t think that other people in a cinema, theatre or cafe think anything of others being on their own.

Shizam Fri 20-May-22 17:32:55

I rather like going to the cinema alone. Often read reviews and comments afterwards, so that fulfils the post-show analysis.
And it is a heck of a lot cheaper going solo to the theatre in London. Prices are through the roof!

Also happy to eat out alone but it can be a bit dull without some conversation. Although that does depend on the person you are with. Sometimes it is better to dine alone!

Missiseff Fri 20-May-22 17:56:50

Yes. All of the above. Why shouldn't I? I also go to football matches on my own.

Hels001 Fri 20-May-22 18:11:45

Yes. Give it a go its really not as scary as you think. I keep a small paperback in my bag which I will happily sit and read in a cafe. First time is always a little daunting but do it its great for people watching too. smile

knspol Fri 20-May-22 18:16:01

Used to regularly go to theatre matinees on my own in London but have never done so where I live, a much smaller place. Have only ever been to a restaurant on an evening on my own when working away from home and always felt incredibly uncomfortable. No problem going to cafe etc during the day on my own. Very silly I know, just a lack of confidence I suppose.

Kryptonite Fri 20-May-22 18:18:10

Can't understand why anyone wouldn't go to a cinema or theatre alone. As other posters have said, why miss out on things just because you've no one to go with or your partner isn't interested? One of the best on my own experiences was on a ferry from France. Film on my own followed by slap up meal on my own, followed by sundeck on my own. Glorious. My husband and I have in the past gone into different movies at the same time. Everyone's happy.

Dottynan Fri 20-May-22 18:28:41

I also go to the cinema on my own as hubby is still working full time. Take a deep breath and go for it

ALANaV Fri 20-May-22 18:55:39

Of course...why not ? I am on my own and go to lunch, dinner, theatre, cinema, holidays and everything else on my own ...people say 'How can you go on your own ? ...answer is I have no choice, either alone or stay home .....not an option ha ha ....going to Canada in autumn, the USA, Iceland, The Arctic on cruises, Rhodes, Menorca, Lanzarote ......love it ! sometimes no one speak to you but hey, I had books to read, sun to sit in and all my meals and cleaning ...what's not to like ! The only little snag is I don;t go wandering around abroad in the evenings after dark, so normally look for a hotel or other accommodation that has an evening function of some sort ! Try a coach trip for singles for your first venture ...loads of people to talk to, things to do .....in the UK if you like ....take a look at Solo Holidays, or Passion or Cruises that does singles .......enjoy

lilydily9 Fri 20-May-22 18:57:46

Not the cinema but to the theatre several times although just matinee performances.

WoodLane7 Fri 20-May-22 18:58:50

Have regularly done cinema, theatre, cafe and pub (if I am away from home) on my own. Since I am unlikely to know the people there I neither know nor care what anyone thinks

Notyetagranbut Fri 20-May-22 19:19:44

Cinema, theatre, restaurant and holidays I do them all, if I didn't I would never ho anywhere. Just go for it, you'll be fine.

Willow68 Fri 20-May-22 20:59:10

Yes I go places on my own. It’s not unusual now, I think since mobiles and laptops, there are many people alone
In restaurants and cafes. So it’s very normal to go places alone now including cinema. I actually love the odd lunch on my own somewhere.

NanKate Fri 20-May-22 22:07:27

At the age of 11 (64 years ago) I would take the no 11 bus into Birmingham, go to Lewis’s and buy myself an orange squash and a chocolate cake with a face on it. ?‍? After looking round the mini zoo on the roof I would catch the bus home.

Since then I have visited the theatre, cinema and many, many cafes all on my own and loved it.

Don’t miss out because of what you think others will think of you. You’ve only got one life so enjoy it. ☕️?

Shinamae Fri 20-May-22 22:17:06

Yes most places happy to go on my own especially the cinema actually. I’ve booked to go on a coach holiday early July to Wales to Anglesey and puffin Island and that’s on my own… Will not go in a pub on my own though except a Wetherspoons..

CoffeeFirst1 Fri 20-May-22 22:31:05

No. I don’t want to either ☹️

Elrel Fri 20-May-22 22:50:54

NanKate, the 11 is the Outer Circle which goes round Birmingham, not to the centre. Lewis’s had a Pet Department for many years, the roof had a Spring Festival with rabbits and chicks. I still miss Lewis’s.

MayBee70 Fri 20-May-22 23:05:00

Elrel

NanKate, the 11 is the Outer Circle which goes round Birmingham, not to the centre. Lewis’s had a Pet Department for many years, the roof had a Spring Festival with rabbits and chicks. I still miss Lewis’s.

I think this was taken at Lewis’s. I remember having ice creams on the roof. And seeing Father Christmas…..

twiglet77 Fri 20-May-22 23:23:25

I’d much rather go alone and enjoy what I’ve gone to watch in peace. Ditto cafes, though I’ve not been to one for probably 10 years or more. I wouldn’t go to a pub alone, but I don’t go to pubs with anybody else either.

NannaFirework Sat 21-May-22 07:41:51

Yes !