Gransnet forums

Chat

Iceland to offer over 60's a ten per cent discount

(100 Posts)
infoman Thu 19-May-22 17:00:04

on Tuesdays only,might ease the cost of buying food.

granfromafar Tue 24-May-22 20:00:02

We went today and did about about £50 worth of shopping, with OH deciding that he ' needed' a bottle of whisky! He thought it was wonderful to get the 10% off that too! Bought so much that I will have to cancel the Ocado delivery due on Thursday!

Daisend1 Tue 24-May-22 14:21:15

Polly73
I buy the majority of my frozen purchases from Iceland
Full marks for variety,quality and value for money.
Excellent delivery service always turn up on time.

Granmarderby10 Tue 24-May-22 14:12:19

Both Iceland and another store called Farmfoods sell frozen foods.
There are some items that one sells that the other doesn’t so it can mean “shopping around” a bit and I am considering a stand alone freezer because they both have bargains to stock up on.

Things like frozen fruits, natural fish, slightly cheaper butters and “nostalgic” stuff for me such as Brains faggots and sliced lambs liver - which I get a fancy for every now and then ..(not together)?
So, great for batch baking puddings and fish pies etc.
As well as plenty of vegetable choices, and meats.
They both have salad and fresh fruit and veg plus popular tinned veg, but also sell good bargains on detergents and loo/kitchen roll.

Kate1949 Tue 24-May-22 14:07:16

grin

Bellanonna Tue 24-May-22 13:54:02

Oh, that’s disheartening, Kate! ? Well done on the savings though!

MissAdventure Tue 24-May-22 13:53:30

What a liberty! grin

Kate1949 Tue 24-May-22 13:51:36

We've just done a 'big shop' in Iceland and got our 10% off. The cheeky madam on the till didn't even ask to see proof of our age! grin

Otis Tue 24-May-22 12:17:36

Iceland are not the only ones that give a discount. Our local Co-op has been doing it for several years now. 10% discount for the over 60's on Tuedays.

Grayling Sun 22-May-22 22:42:32

Oops - just realised it is a "Food Warehouse" that is soon to be opening locally!!!

Bella51 Sun 22-May-22 22:01:43

Not available in Northern Ireland

Grayling Sun 22-May-22 18:02:05

Nannina - totally agree with you. A lot of my friends have the wrong idea re Iceland. I live on my own and although I like to give my business to our smaller local shops I often pop into Iceland. Nice helpful staff and some really good items on the fish and veg options. It, along with The Food Depot who are opening close to me fairly soom, are owned by the Walker family who seem to have a fairly decent set of ethics.

Chardy Sun 22-May-22 17:25:44

You can doing your own shopping in store, go home and Iceland will deliver what you picked out, usually that day and for free.
mybonuscard.iceland.co.uk/home-delivery/

4allweknow Sat 21-May-22 21:19:21

Great gesture and sure many over 70s will be doing shopping not only themself but family and friends to take advantage of the discount. Not sure if Iceland is cheaper than Aldi or Lidl with discount. The Food Warehouse sells fresh and frozen foods as well as all store cupboard items.

jerseygirl Sat 21-May-22 20:01:25

Iceland is great. Its the only supermarket that i could get a delivery slot for my elderly mother at the beginning of lockdown. The discount is a great idea but only for those who have an Iceland store near them. If you shop with them online as i do you cant use the discount. The free delivery is now over £25.

Happygirl79 Sat 21-May-22 18:45:43

silverlining48

Delivery varian? It was free over £40 spend.

The offer is available in store only and not online for delivery unfortunately

Hellis Sat 21-May-22 18:16:17

I like Iceland but unfortunately I don't drive and it takes nearly an hour on the bus to the nearest one, not the best with frozen food and heavy bags. So I only get to shop there if my daughter can take me. I tried to get home delivery but although it's only 10 miles away, they don't deliver to my area. Strangely I get Asda deliveries and the nearest is 20 miles away

Bellanonna Sat 21-May-22 18:00:15

Oh I agree Nadateturbe

F1Grandma2 Sat 21-May-22 17:04:40

I was surprised to see the range of goods on sale when I popped in for something last week, and at reasonable prices too. I guess I’ll have to visit the new Food Factory now as well. Is this discount in-store only, or will it apply to on-line shopping?

Chardy Sat 21-May-22 17:02:03

I used Iceland a lot during Lockdown, plenty of fresh veg and fruit, enormous freezers with shelves above for tins and bottles. And very competitively priced.
They have a feel of 1970s Tesco's (stack 'em and sell 'em cheap?), but they pack a huge variety into a comparatively small store, frequently in the middle of town.

nadateturbe Sat 21-May-22 16:32:19

Thanks for the information.

sharon103 Sat 21-May-22 16:29:28

welbeck

i guess an over 60s bus pass would suffice, for proof of age ? it has photo.

Yes you can take your bus pass as proof welbeck. smile

nadateturbe Sat 21-May-22 16:27:46

MissAdventure

Ruddy typical.
I'm "only" 59. smile

I'd willingly forego the discount to be 59!

granfromafar Sat 21-May-22 16:24:51

Thanks for this information, infoman. I hadn't heard about this. I used to shop in Iceland a lot and was always happy with their products. Will start going there more from next week. It starts next Tuesday, 24th May and the discount is also available in their sister shop. the Food Warehouse.

Flakesdayout Sat 21-May-22 16:10:15

I went to Iceland yesterday. Some of their products are very good. I did ask about the over 60's discount and you have to show proof of ID. I will return with my ID as every little bit does help.

Gongoozler Sat 21-May-22 15:55:17

Good for Iceland! I was in our local branch this morning. Good selection of fresh fruit and veg and their vegetarian freezer good too. Their stuff is already reasonably priced and so a further discount will be a bonus! The staff are always busy but unfailingly helpful too.