Gransnet forums

Chat

Not an exciting thread…about white laundry

(26 Posts)
Lucca Fri 20-May-22 09:04:24

I find if I buy anything white from M and S eg t shirts or knickers they go dingy and grey really quickly …..any tips or magic potions to prevent this ?

aggie Fri 20-May-22 09:12:12

Mine are ok , I use Lidl own brand nonbio

GrannyLaine Fri 20-May-22 09:27:24

Do you wash whites separately Lucca?

Grammaretto Fri 20-May-22 09:31:54

bleach?

Sago Fri 20-May-22 09:35:32

Ace bleach in the washing machine drawer works a treat

GagaJo Fri 20-May-22 09:54:36

Don't really have this problem. Other than for my DGS and to be honest, that isn't a dingy problem, it is a staining problem. Grass. Tomatoey foods etc.

tanith Fri 20-May-22 10:07:49

My whites stay white, but I am careful that only whites go in with other whites.

Nell8 Fri 20-May-22 10:17:01

I use Vanish Oxi Action Crystal White chlorine free whitener + stain remover. It works well at brightening things up.

Audi10 Fri 20-May-22 10:20:39

My whites always stay white. I always wash them together though!

Jaxjacky Fri 20-May-22 10:54:57

I used Glo white sachets some time ago.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-May-22 10:59:17

No need for any chemicals apart from detergent! It is the temperature you are washing them at.

I have had white linen all my married life and they stay white until they are worn out.p

Our mothers would have boiled their whites, that plus hanging them in the sun.

I wash whites at 95c. The high temperatures also mean that the washing machine smells sweet as no bacteria can survive.

Of course energy prices may be a factor now.

Pantglas2 Fri 20-May-22 11:01:59

Whites on their own in a hot wash 60 degrees min with a whites detergent (inc. bleach) then peg out in ?. Never wash coloureds in with them as the detergent will leach colour and whites become dingy!

Joseanne Fri 20-May-22 11:02:37

I always wash my whites separately and often put them on a cold rinse cycle first. I would be reluctant to use bleach on delicates because I used to find it ate into the elastic and damaged the fibres.

Joseanne Fri 20-May-22 11:03:21

hanging them in the sun.
Yes.

Lucca Fri 20-May-22 18:32:28

Joseanne

^hanging them in the sun.^
Yes.

I don’t have a garden !

Lucca Fri 20-May-22 18:33:47

Thanks for the advice . I really find it bad with Marks stuff though. Shall avoid them !

BlueSky Fri 20-May-22 18:39:18

A scoop of Vanish Oxy Action Whitening Booster added to the main cycle, works miracles!

maddyone Fri 20-May-22 18:41:17

Make sure you sort your laundry carefully and wash whites together.
Use a reliable biological (if possible) washing powder/liquid.
A scoop of vanish can help.
Hang in the sun, or tumble dry.

The sorting of laundry is the most critical. I wash everything at 30 degrees. My whites stay bright and white for years. Good luck.

Hetty58 Fri 20-May-22 18:47:41

I just don't buy anything white!

SueDonim Fri 20-May-22 19:08:03

I only really have undies and bed linen in white. I suppose the undies are less than dazzling than they were but they’re not particularly new and tbh, it doesn’t bother me. The bed linen is sparkling though. Everything gets washed in whites-only washes.

One conundrum I’ve never solved - how do you wash a duo-coloured item? My dd has a dark burgundy jumper with a white-coloured yoke to it. White or colours? confused

sazz1 Sat 21-May-22 12:19:08

Just read this and an hour ago DH wanted stain remover for his white sweatshirt. He then proceeded to wash it in the machine with various other items including black jumpers and shorts. He has done his own washing since retiring but won't listen to advice about sorting colours, darks and whites. I've given up explaining!

Pantglas2 Sat 21-May-22 12:33:04

SueDonim

I only really have undies and bed linen in white. I suppose the undies are less than dazzling than they were but they’re not particularly new and tbh, it doesn’t bother me. The bed linen is sparkling though. Everything gets washed in whites-only washes.

One conundrum I’ve never solved - how do you wash a duo-coloured item? My dd has a dark burgundy jumper with a white-coloured yoke to it. White or colours? confused

I have a few items like that SueDonim and always use my coloured liquid as it has no whitening agent (bleach) in it that could leach the colour into the wash, making the white bits dingy...

SueDonim Sat 21-May-22 12:36:15

Oh, that’s interesting, Pantglas. I’ve never bought a specific coloured wash product as I get non-bio because of my dh’s sensitive skin. I’ll remember that though, thank you!

Witzend Mon 23-May-22 11:22:17

I’ve always done whites-only washes, especially ever since many years ago lending a pair of a dd’s pristine white tights to a colleague for her daughter. We were living abroad and such things just weren’t available locally.

They came back far from pristine - tinged with blue-ish grey - which was the indeterminate, muddy colour of virtually all said colleague’s own clothes.

grandMattie Mon 23-May-22 11:28:43

My whites stay white, apart from bras!
My problem is black which always fades..