Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you drive?

(208 Posts)
Jaxjacky Sat 21-May-22 21:22:54

I’m surprised by how many women don’t drive, it does tend to be women and wondered if there was a common reason for not driving.

PollyDolly Tue 24-May-22 09:46:03

I passed my test at age 17 and have been a car owner ever since. I cannot imagine having to give up on health grounds either, it is my independence and I want to keep it.
I have my free bus pass and have only used it once; we did intend. travelling by bus to the city but Covid put a stop on that and we have not felt inclined to do it since restrictions eased.
I do agree with some other comments too, there does appear to be an element of 'let's disregard the rules and road safety and drive like lunatics' and this is happening everywhere. There seems to be no manners or consideration these days which does take the pleasure out of driving somewhat.

Emelie321 Tue 24-May-22 10:19:53

I have driven for almost half a century - living in rural areas a lot of the time this was (and is) necessary, given the limitations of public transport. And when we lived in a city, my job involved driving - I would not have been taken on without this skill.

I now have single friends who can no longer drive due to health problems. Also other friends who are newly widowed - or whose husbands are now ill/ disabled - who have in the past been discouraged by their spouses to take on responsibility for the long journeys. They have never driven outside their home town and cannot now face motorway driving. Their lives are now much more constrained. Such problems are worse for the ones who do not live near facilities such as shops and surgeries.

At some point in our lives, however, we are all going to be more dependent on public transport. I have recently been asked to support a new pressure group in our area wanting to increase and improve our local rail provision - access to employment and healthcare being the key reasons. I will be more than happy to do so.

Silvertwigs Tue 24-May-22 22:28:55

@ Georgesgran I pratfall pleaded with my grandchildren to learn to drive, all paid for and a small 4 to 5 year old Ford Ka was purchased for each of the (just 2 DGC!) neither took the bait and I sold the cars eventually.

Taichinan Tue 24-May-22 23:35:51

I'm 80 and still driving the 160 mile round trip to visit my daughter and often then after that drive my 16yo granddaughter to and from her after school job (there's no bus to bring her home to their little village). I don't like driving at night though, or in towns that I'm not familiar with. I have driven all my adult life and took to it like a duck to water, and of course all my children drive. My 66yo niece doesn't though, and has never wanted to. The 16yo GD who I taxi for can't wait to learn and is already saving for her first car (and for uni, and to go to LA to see her fav pop star ....... wink). I shall not be a happy bunny when it comes time for me to hang up my keys, as it will of course.

LuckyFour Thu 26-May-22 10:28:07

I learnt to drive in my early twenties and still do at age 75. I think still competently. We live on the edge of a small village that has two buses a day to the nearest town. Can't imagine not being able to drive, I would have to move house. (Don't want to).

M0nica Thu 26-May-22 14:09:33

If you are worried about your driving - and even more if you are not. make sure you check your skills with an accredited driving instructor, from a school or through the Institute of Advanced Motorists.

DH was very seriously ill last year: heart surgery and a hospital acquired infection. Three months ago he spent 5 hours with a driving instructor, driving on all kinds of roads, while she drew his attention to any minor problems with his driving and past on a host of useful hints and tips to keep him driving well. It gave him reassurance and confident that he could still drive safely and well.

I am currently carless. My car was written off a few months ago when a young man, at a minor crossroads, drove straight across a main road without looking to see if any traffic was coming. As soon as I have replaced my car and got used to it, I will do exactly what DH has done, and probably repeat it ever few years to keep safe..

Jaxjacky Thu 26-May-22 15:10:50

Our County Council runs an appraisal for over 60’s MOnica, £45 for an hour and a half. You've just reminded me to contact them, thanks.