Gransnet forums

Chat

Dame Deborah James

(20 Posts)
Sago Sun 22-May-22 08:42:17

Hi all, I’m sure unless you’ve been living under a rock you have heard of the amazing Dame Deborah James.
Through my Instagram this morning I found out about her fundraising T-Shirt, I had vowed not to buy any clothes for a year and started a thread on the subject recently, I have made an exception and purchased one of her T’s.
I’m sure I can be forgiven for such a good cause and it’s my birthday tomorrow so a little gift from me to me!
Here’s a link if anyone is interested, a whopping £7 from every sale goes to cancer research?.

www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiJ7uzBzPL3AhVloVwKHf7xAAUQFnoECAwQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.inthestyle.com%2Fdame-deborah-james-rebellious-hope-t-shirt&usg=AOvVaw0d3kCupAaN-SWRzXkrJegq

GrannyGravy13 Sun 22-May-22 09:02:34

Thank you for the link, definitely worth it

Joseanne Sun 22-May-22 09:19:13

I had been living under a rock until a few weeks ago about this lady. What struck me was how tirelessly she must have been working, despite being ill, over so many months and even years to bring all these final things to fruition.
The rose naming is particularly poignant to me.

AGAA4 Sun 22-May-22 09:19:44

I have been following Deborah since she was on You me and the big C. She is amazing the way she has brought bowel cancer out of the shadows and more people are getting treated earlier.
She is incredibly brave to do this while being terminally ill.

mamaa Sun 22-May-22 09:21:10

Thanks for this Sago - mine are on order. Theres a rose bush available to buy, proceeds going to the Bowelbabe Charity was put up on Instagram yesterday- if I can find the link I’ll post it on this thread, if thats ok.

Sago Sun 22-May-22 09:22:22

Of course it’s OK! Let’s help promote such a great cause.

mamaa Sun 22-May-22 09:23:33

this (hopefully) is the link to the rosebush
www.instagram.com/p/CdyqOLdomRQ/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Joseanne Sun 22-May-22 09:29:56

This is the one I ordered from.

www.worldofroses.com/product/14552/dame-deborah-james-rose-bare-root

TillyTrotter Sun 22-May-22 09:31:54

A very worthwhile cause from a selfless lady.
Happy Birthday wishes for you tomorrow Sago . ?

Kate1949 Sun 22-May-22 10:01:17

I've been following Deborah's story for a long time. She never stops smiling. I have done my bowel cancer test because of her.

PamelaJ1 Sun 22-May-22 10:12:54

Kate wouldn’t you have done it anyway?

Kate1949 Sun 22-May-22 10:16:28

Well I usually do but didn't do it last time because due to the pandemic I was scared. Yes that's ridiculous I know. I know a lot of people who never do the test, including a friend whose father died of bowel cancer, because she is scared. I told her to look at Deborah's story but she said 'I don't want to know'.

TillyTrotter Sun 22-May-22 18:59:03

That is such a pity Kate . It saves lives (I’m sure you know that but fear can be all-consuming and drive out reasoning).

BlueBelle Sun 22-May-22 19:26:04

I definitely must live under a stone I ve never heard of the lady

Kate1949 Sun 22-May-22 19:26:27

Yes it can Tilly. Mine has come back OK fortunately. I'm grateful for the tests we get.

Kate1949 Sun 22-May-22 19:28:42

You are probably sensible enough not to watch daytime TV BlueBelle. Deborah has been on Lorraine a lot.

Charleygirl5 Sun 22-May-22 19:40:30

I clicked the link and the price of the T shirt is a whopping £15 so I am afraid at that price it will have to stay where it is.

Georgesgran Sun 22-May-22 19:56:21

I don’t watch daytime tv, but I’m still aware of this lady. Prince William went to her home for tea recently and awarded her Damehood there.

V3ra Sun 22-May-22 19:59:39

I worked as a receptionist in a busy GP practice many years ago. If I learned one thing it was that if a problem is brewing, not having the relevant tests doesn't mean it goes away. The earlier something is identified and diagnosed, the sooner treatment can start and the better the likely outcome.
Having said all that the middle-aged lady GP, who was insistent all the female patients and staff had a regular smear test and ran a weekly clinic for them, had never had one herself ?

Rainwashed Tue 24-May-22 13:59:03

I heard her speak on Woman’s Hour some time ago. Such a brave lady!