Gransnet forums

Chat

Things you think can make you look older than your years!

(414 Posts)
Lucca Mon 23-May-22 13:41:25

His and hers dingy purple mountain warehouse anoraks.
Dull colours generally.

Aveline Mon 23-May-22 13:39:18

A dear (male) friend once said 'mutton dressed as lamb' is bad enough but 'carrion dressed as mutton' is worse! What a charmer he was (not).
I was looking at some 'young' clothes today. They looked very trendy and I could fit them but - I just didn't want to. Not sure why. They just weren't me somehow.

MissAdventure Mon 23-May-22 13:38:49

I suppose the "crash helmet", heavily set hairstyle is quite ageing, but then for some people it's needed, so they can manage it themselves.

Casdon Mon 23-May-22 13:34:25

I agree with your friends. Old lady shoes, badly cut jeans, and an old fashioned hairstyle are all matronly giveaways I think. As with Miss A I don’t want to offend anybody, because they are all unimportant in the big scheme of things, but people do notice, and I don’t think a big smile and a friendly face stops them doing so.

Serendipity22 Mon 23-May-22 13:31:48

Clothes.smile

Audi10 Mon 23-May-22 13:31:36

Yes! I agree not a fan myself of plastic surgery each to their own of course but not for me! Yes what’s wrong with looking your age! But then I’m comfortable with myself and how I look! Agree good haircut flattering clothes for your shape and positive attitude works wonders lovebeigecardigans

Kathy72 Mon 23-May-22 13:27:15

I guess in most peoples minds how you dress, to a certain extent, can indicate your personality and approach to life?

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 23-May-22 13:27:01

No makeup (unless you’re blessed with looking good without). Also too much makeup!

MissAdventure Mon 23-May-22 13:26:52

A few things come to mind, but I don't want to offend anyone who has and enjoys them.
Sweatshirts with pictures of wolves or other wild animals on.
Specially if you have the matching throw and cushion covers.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 23-May-22 13:25:51

I think a baggy cardigan, with a shapeless frock, a disastrous perm (which doesn't suit you) and scuffed sandals can look very unflattering.

OTOH, a good hairstyle, lipstick, trendy earrings and a style of dressing which nods to the latest fashion without being a slave to it can knock years off.

I'm not keen on plastic surgery - what's wrong with looking your age anyway? A positive, cheerful attitude and an open mind are what really matters IMHO.

PollyDolly Mon 23-May-22 13:23:13

Luckygirl3

Crimpelene!

Yes! And polyester jersey. Both have a 'smell' all of their own.

Audi10 Mon 23-May-22 13:21:51

I forgot about that one lucky girl remember it well

Luckygirl3 Mon 23-May-22 13:19:53

Crimpelene!

Audi10 Mon 23-May-22 13:17:30

While having a discussion with two friends this subject came up! They were saying the way some people dress can look a bit matronly! I was saying but it’s not all about dress sense I think having a positive attitude and a smile makes you appear happier so therefore younger, it’s not always about how a person dresses! What do you gransnetters think!