Gransnet forums

Chat

Things you think can make you look older than your years!

(415 Posts)
Audi10 Mon 23-May-22 13:17:30

While having a discussion with two friends this subject came up! They were saying the way some people dress can look a bit matronly! I was saying but it’s not all about dress sense I think having a positive attitude and a smile makes you appear happier so therefore younger, it’s not always about how a person dresses! What do you gransnetters think!

Curlywhirly Mon 23-May-22 14:34:46

I know they are popular, but I hate 'old lady' flat shoes (I have arthritis in my big toe, so find it difficult to get comfy shoes, but there are alternatives to the velcro old lady ones!); permed set hair; three quarter single breasted macs in sludgy colours; hair that's dyed too dark; elasticated-waist baggy polyester trousers that are too short; headscarves and rainmates!

Elizabeth27 Mon 23-May-22 14:36:59

I think full makeup on an older person is aging, badly drawn eyebrows, contouring, and red lipstick, coupled with darkly dyed hair.

I also think some older people overdress for an occasion which is aging in these times of a more casual look.

Marydoll Mon 23-May-22 14:37:06

Luckygirl3

Crimpelene!

I agree,

Baggy ill fitting , too short trousers made of crimpelene or cheap, shiny polyester are definitely ageing.
There is a Gransnetetr, I have met, who is in her seventies and I think she looks fabulous! I was quite envious of her style.

I wear subtle make up, because I have rosacea, and green camouflage cream hides it well. I look tired and old, without it.

FarNorth Mon 23-May-22 14:38:15

I haven't seen anyone in a headscarf or rainmate for decades grin

crazyH Mon 23-May-22 14:38:53

For the past few days I’ve been having UTI and I can tell you, it does nothing for your skin and hair. My hair which is usually fairly good (coloured ofcourse), has gone dry and awful. And so yes, at the moment, I do look older than I am. I think I’ll dab some lipstick on - it always lifts me …

Nanna58 Mon 23-May-22 14:40:27

Trousers too short, Hotter shoes( sorry but I do think they’re grim) bum bags, and anything polyester. Tan tights, especially worn with sandals ?

Casdon Mon 23-May-22 14:41:20

FarNorth

Germanshepherdsmum

No makeup (unless you’re blessed with looking good without). Also too much makeup!

I never wear makeup and have many friends who also don't.
I think most people look silly with makeup unless it's artistic rather than the fashionable type.

Hair that is coloured in too dark a shade is ageing.

I’m with GSM on this. Minimal but subtle makeup makes a big difference to how you look and feel. I like tinted moisturiser, it evens out my skin tone but you can’t tell I’m wearing it - and mascara, which opens up my eyes.

Kate1949 Mon 23-May-22 14:41:22

My 93 year old next door neighbour wears a rainmate.

Marydoll Mon 23-May-22 14:44:58

Kate1949

My 93 year old next door neighbour wears a rainmate.

I think at 93, she can be excused!

MrsKen33 Mon 23-May-22 14:45:14

No teeth, no eyebrows, downturned mouth, and blue budgie eyeshadow.

Marydoll Mon 23-May-22 14:46:27

I hope there is no-one reading, who dresses like this. blush

grannyrebel7 Mon 23-May-22 14:48:09

Another one here with "artistic make-up". ? I just wear mascara and eyebrow stuff these days, but it makes such a difference. If I go out I'll wear eyeshadow as well.

Kate1949 Mon 23-May-22 14:50:04

Yes Marydoll. She looks cute. It takes me back!

MissAdventure Mon 23-May-22 14:50:48

I wear some of these things. smile

Kate1949 Mon 23-May-22 14:52:18

I don't put the bins out without make up on.

snowberryZ Mon 23-May-22 14:56:45

Wearing Youth Dew, Obsession or Lair du Tenps.
Overly smart, structured wool coats.
Rigid hairstyles - Hair that doesn't move.
Thinking that having a good conplexion
is all there is to looking young.
Pale pink nail polish.
Hotter shoes
Sketcher shoes.
Statement necklaces.
Black eyeliner under the eyes.
Calling any female under the age of 30 'silly'.
Popping In anywhere.

Marydoll Mon 23-May-22 14:59:46

Kate, I had to wear a rainmate over my school hat! blush

Oh dear, Snowberry, some of my very stylish friends (including me) wear Sketchers and statement necklaces. Not at the same time, of course. ?

Kate1949 Mon 23-May-22 15:01:08

Blimey. I must rethink my look! I'm off to remove my pale pink nail varnish.

Kate1949 Mon 23-May-22 15:02:18

Me too Marydoll Very handy they were too, even with rain dripping down your neck from them.

Marydoll Mon 23-May-22 15:02:24

Actually, pale pink nail polish is right on trend, this summer! wink

Kate1949 Mon 23-May-22 15:03:47

I knew it. I'm a trendsetter.

GagaJo Mon 23-May-22 15:09:30

Agree with all of those SnowberryZ.

I've got another one, that applied to my mum (now gone sadly). Lots of patterns. Mum was very fashionable up until about 50/55, but then seemed to morph into 'older lady'. Lots of dresses with patterns on them. Flowers mainly, but all heavily patterned. They were so ageing.

She did have one lovely dress. A nice grey sort of officey dress. Classic and fashionable at the same time. But I never saw her wear it.

Also think we old birds have to remember, that what is lovely, retro, on younger women, just looks old fashioned on us.

Keep it very plain, is my motto. Not that I'm any kind of fashion icon. Black jeans (or on a bad day, leggings). A hip length (makes my legs look longer) loose black (or blue or grey) top. Biker boots, or if I can guarantee I'm going to sit down, some cuban heeled ankle boots. Very simple, not too different to my usual daily scruff, but I like how it looks, when I catch sight of myself in shop windows.

mymadeupname Mon 23-May-22 15:10:24

FarNorth

I haven't seen anyone in a headscarf or rainmate for decades grin

Her Majesty looks fabulous in a headscarf and she is probably the only person alive who can pull off the RainMate look.

GagaJo Mon 23-May-22 15:11:04

Very sadly, cat eye, eye liner is out. Fun. But ageing slapper is not a good look.

Oh! And no kind of animal print. Ever.

MissAdventure Mon 23-May-22 15:13:58

I love animal print.
A la Bette Lynch.

I find it far nicer to look at than beige with scotty dog silhouettes on.