Gransnet forums

Chat

Things you think can make you look older than your years!

(415 Posts)
Audi10 Mon 23-May-22 13:17:30

While having a discussion with two friends this subject came up! They were saying the way some people dress can look a bit matronly! I was saying but it’s not all about dress sense I think having a positive attitude and a smile makes you appear happier so therefore younger, it’s not always about how a person dresses! What do you gransnetters think!

Riverwalk Thu 26-May-22 13:37:33

I'm 6 years older than Ena Sharples! grin

FarNorth Thu 26-May-22 13:33:36

I guess hairnets are one of those things that do age you, tho. smile

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 26-May-22 13:30:40

Blimey! Years younger than me!

Riverwalk Thu 26-May-22 13:23:49

FarNorth

Isn't it strange how Ena & pals don't look quite as ancient as I originally thought? grin

I've just Googled to see how old the actresses were when Coronation Street started in 1960 shock

Minnie 64
Ena 61
Martha 46!!

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 26-May-22 13:23:06

I agree FarNorth. Don’t know about you, but I’ve caught up with them!

FannyCornforth Thu 26-May-22 13:14:55

Maggiemaybe

Wow! I don’t recall ever seeing Mrs Sharples smile before. grin

Yes, Violet Carson actually looks pretty

FannyCornforth Thu 26-May-22 13:13:48

I absolutely love it. ?
It should be the GN logo!

FarNorth Thu 26-May-22 13:12:29

Isn't it strange how Ena & pals don't look quite as ancient as I originally thought? grin

Maggiemaybe Thu 26-May-22 13:11:14

Wow! I don’t recall ever seeing Mrs Sharples smile before. grin

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 26-May-22 12:56:21

Loved them!

FannyCornforth Thu 26-May-22 12:52:14

She’s very posh in real life!

Here is a lovely photo of some legendary ladies of the cobbles:

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 26-May-22 12:45:32

I like the colour of her coat but there it ends!

PinkCosmos Thu 26-May-22 12:03:14

Grandma70s

PinkCosmos

I have stopped wearing black close to my face as I think it can make you look drained. On the rare occasion I do wear a black top I usually also wear a bright scarf

I tend to wear shirts/blouses these days rather than t shirts as they don't cling to ever lump and bump - and I have quite a few of those. I wear them with leggings, cropped trousers (narrow) or slim leg trousers.

I do like the way Prue Leith dresses with all the bright colours and chunky jewellery.

Hyacinth Bucket on the other hand, she always looked older than her years even when the series came out in 1990. Patricia Routledge (who played her) must have only been in her early 50's when the series started. My MIL still dresses like this and has done for the last 30 years.

Just browsing through the posts and saw this one. Patricia Routledge was 60+ when the series started. Born February 1929.

Thanks Grandma70s - I stand corrected.

However, you rarely see women in their early 60's looking like Hyacinth these days. Well, not where I live.

Another pet hate is skirts above the knee with bare legs. Our knees don't age very well generally.

Maggiemaybe Wed 25-May-22 19:56:54

I thought I’d better team the zebra stripes with a rather subdued, plainish top. I did end up wearing a rain jacket decorated with bumble bees though, as it started to rain as I left the house.

Tomorrow I have to dress appropriately for a Toddler Group Jubilee party, so some of my Bet Lynch/Pat Butcher earring collection might be just the ticket. grin

Callistemon21 Wed 25-May-22 19:21:39

Maggiemaybe

Callistemon21

Yes, we can sit and criticise all the people coming in wearing animal prints and crocs!
?

Like a more modern Ena, Minnie and Martha.

Oh blimey, Callistemon, I can’t do that. I’ve been out to lunch today sporting a pair of zebra print leggings.

Perhaps I’m more of a Bet Lynch.

???
???

Did you wear them with a striped top?

MissAdventure Wed 25-May-22 18:59:37

I think she looks pretty good.

MissAdventure Wed 25-May-22 18:43:49

grin

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 25-May-22 18:42:48

I know the name but haven't ever watched East Enders. Watched Corrie until about 20 years ago, when everyone started having it off with everyone else, regardless of gender. A long way from Albert Tatlock, Elsie Tanner, Ena Sharples et al.

MissAdventure Wed 25-May-22 18:30:17

My girl used to call those my "Pat Butchers"

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 25-May-22 17:39:11

Shame on you!!! Did you wear the Bet Lynch earrings too?

Maggiemaybe Wed 25-May-22 17:28:53

Callistemon21

Yes, we can sit and criticise all the people coming in wearing animal prints and crocs!
?

Oh blimey, Callistemon, I can’t do that. I’ve been out to lunch today sporting a pair of zebra print leggings.

Perhaps I’m more of a Bet Lynch.

Margiknot Wed 25-May-22 15:32:02

I think I might be having a 'mid life' crisis as I have many of the items mentioned! My first gilet bought to beef up my not warm enough winter coat- gets far more use than originally intended ( its really useful in the house when its chilly). I like stripy tops, wear leopard print trainers, and 'sensible shoes' . I own a fleece pullover ( well I've had a fleece of some sort since they were first invented- although I no longer use them just for keeping warm half way up a mountain ). I rarely wear makeup. -No hope for me then!

I think we all mostly dress to suite our shape, colouring, life style and yes to some extent our age.

I have recently mostly retired so am still finding my feet in the smart casual world- any hints gratefully received!

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 25-May-22 14:03:26

Definitely. And bras with transparent plastic straps.

Callistemon21 Wed 25-May-22 14:01:53

And 'cold shoulder' tops are banned!

Callistemon21 Wed 25-May-22 14:01:12

?