Gransnet forums

Chat

What Inventions would YOU make if you could?

(48 Posts)
Poppyjo Tue 24-May-22 22:39:42

For me it would be windscreen wipers for spectacles and oh for a bigger tea bag to save me using two every time. Self peeling potatoes and bleach remover for clothes which always get spoiled by bleach splashes.

I guess I must be getting lazy in my old age ?

StarDreamer Wed 25-May-22 10:02:07

Callistemon21

^I have found the NHS to be wonderful^.

You're not on a waiting list for anything, I take it!

Perfectly clear, I thought.

I suppose that you are referring to the administrative issues of waiting lists, inadequate funding being provided by governments, the focus by politicians on short-termism on the lack of forward planning by not having built lots more hospitals in the past, not using information gathered from censuses to having provided training places for many more doctors and nurses.

I was referring to the clinical treatment and nursing support that I received.

Chestnut Wed 25-May-22 10:12:59

StarDreamer I agree Google Streetview is an amazing thing. You can visit places you remember as a child and see what they're like now. Maybe disappointing ha ha! You can go to obscure places in the world you would never visit in reality, like a town in the Australian outback. If you're doing Family History you can find homes where ancestors lived 100 years ago or more and in some cases the properties are still there (f they haven't been bombed in the war).

halfpint1 Wed 25-May-22 10:13:47

M0nica

Not sure it is an invention but Fusion. An endless supply of energy to solve our global warming problems.

Cheap fusion, so that every country no matter how poor can afford to install and manage fusion energy facilities.

I'll second that, what a wonderfull idea. I do wonder if greedy energy giants are sitting on such proress

Elless Wed 25-May-22 10:31:32

Years ago, before washing pods, I actually wrote to a few companies and suggested 'washing pearls' for washing up liquid.

Callistemon21 Wed 25-May-22 10:33:18

I'd ban washing pods if I could.

AGAA4 Wed 25-May-22 10:38:00

An injection that would cure or prevent any cancer.

TopsyIrene06 Wed 25-May-22 10:43:57

The rivers are full of washing pods. AGAA4 and Lucca have the only answer.

volver Wed 25-May-22 10:54:32

Re: fusion.

I like M0nica's idea (although if it was a choice I'd go with Lucca's)

All the energy we have comes from the Sun. Even coal, which was created millions of years ago out of organic matter. Creatures and plants which only lived because of the sun. Solar panels work because of the energy in visible light, which travels all the way from the sun and gets converted into electrical energy by the panels. But efficiency gets lost all along the line, from the centre of the sun to your panel.

Fusion would replicate the process at the heart of the sun, right here on earth. I can say with 99.9% certainty that the energy giants aren't sitting on the technology, its not viable yet. But when it is, all bets are off.

Nell8 Wed 25-May-22 11:01:12

I wish Google Street View had warned me their camera car was coming before I went out front to weed the garden. Now the whole of humanity gets to see what a big bottom I have.

paddyann54 Wed 25-May-22 11:22:09

A remote control to switch off the fire alarm in my kitchen

Squiffy Wed 25-May-22 11:26:39

Lucca flowers

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 25-May-22 11:31:58

A hairbrush/comb/hair-drier which replicates exactly the hairstyle which I struggle to achieve each day.

Franbern Wed 25-May-22 12:06:30

So many things we originally saw in Star Trek are now available. My 'Alexa' actually answers to computer just as their one did. Still waiting for (as has been mentioned by others) for that Instant Transportation system. Know it is being worked on - but not likely to see it in my lifetime.

NO.NO...No to washing pods or similar - leaves far too much plastic in our oceans.

Just think if someone a hundred years ago was asked this question - many of the things they would have suggested we now have as normal every day items - home machines to wash an dry our clothes. Non-iron materials for clothes, speedy cooking machines, having easy and constant contact anywhere in the world.

Such a pity that politicians are not as advanced as the scientists - and we still have starvation, millions suffering from totally curable diseases, homelessness, poverty and war.

Granmarderby10 Wed 25-May-22 12:20:40

BOREINGNESS ALERT ? I want an upright vacuum cleaner that has a ….wait for it …cord rewind mechanism
Imagine that- is it possible?

welbeck Wed 25-May-22 12:26:44

a winding device for moving bed-bound people up the bed without having to heave them and much turning using a so-called sliding sheet.
it can be v uncomfortable for the occupant.
i feel there should be a system of retractable rollers built into the bed frame/mattress which could be gently operated to move the person gradually.
or even better a smart mattress that does it automatically while it is inflated, by tiny degrees.

Beckett Wed 25-May-22 12:31:37

A robot which dusts delicate items and cleans silver
I second the wish for something which changes duvet covers

I also agree to the banning of "washing pods" - I have never bought them, preferring powder in cardboard containers. Unfortunately the supermarkets close by seem to stock less and less of the powder - sometimes the powder shelves are empty but there is a plentiful supply of washing pods!

welbeck Wed 25-May-22 12:40:47

washing pods cause many injuries and worse to children.

Casdon Wed 25-May-22 12:41:24

I’d like the ‘reparo’ spell they use in Harry Potter. If I could just say ‘gutters reparo’ or ‘broken dish reparo’ every time an item wasn’t working or had broken I would be very happy indeed - it would save so much money and effort.

DanniRae Wed 25-May-22 12:41:46

I feel ashamed that I have bought wash pods in the past - I shall not buy them again!!
Thank you

grandtanteJE65 Wed 25-May-22 12:42:53

I will buy a set of windscreen wipers for all my various pairs of glasses as soon as you invent them!

I would like to invent a toilet bowl that limescale cannot adhere to, as I live in an area with hard water.

And please, dear St. Gertrude, patroness of cats, could you ask the creator to modifiy cats just that tweeny weeny bit that would make them willing to learn to close doors behind them? They can learn to do so, they just do not want to.

Granmarderby10 Wed 25-May-22 12:46:09

Yep Beckett - I agree re pods Veering off topic here sorry
I’ve managed to avoid being lured by their so called convenience I mean what was wrong with powder tablets - at least they could be halved or crumbled for a hand wash. Pods can be wasteful for small loads……and they go slimey if they get accidentally wet ….and they are a serious potential hazard to children and animals ?… rant over.

Granmarderby10 Wed 25-May-22 12:51:06

Oh that reminds me GrandtanteJE65 eradication of cat fleas that jump onto dogs and their people.
Ditto head lice on children?