Gransnet forums

Chat

RayLiotta has died.

(39 Posts)
grannydarkhair Thu 26-May-22 18:37:01

He was the lead role in Goodfellas, one of my favourite films. He was in lots of other films, none anywhere as good imo. I last saw him on-screen in The Many Saints of Newark last year. He was only 67, the same age as myself.

welbeck Sat 28-May-22 12:17:13

still baffling if you've never heard of him or the films.
i like the callers on james o'brien but find him rather annoying, bit full of himself.

FannyCornforth Sat 28-May-22 12:13:54

And James sponsored an otter (his favourite animal) and called it Ray.

FannyCornforth Sat 28-May-22 12:10:47

The clip said ‘This is Ray Liotta, and you’re listening to James OBrien on LBC.
If you build it, they will come’

FannyCornforth Sat 28-May-22 12:07:42

It was a quote from Field of Dreams.
Steve Allen interviewed Ray and asked him to record it.
Previously James himself would say ‘if you build it, they will come’.
He’s been saying if for years. Originally it was from when he had the subject for a phone in, and someone would call in who had amazing niche knowledge of the topic.

welbeck Sat 28-May-22 12:02:53

Lark123

BlueBelle

I ve never heard of this man seems I m the only person who hasn’t ?

No, I haven't heard of him either...

nor i.
james o'brien on lbc has a question and answer hour. for a very good answer he would say it deserves a railey otter. this put me off the show.
found the term baffling and excluding.
i had no idea what it meant. only just realised he was referencing this actor, whom i'd not heard of.

FannyCornforth Sat 28-May-22 09:46:10

I haven’t seen The Irishman either, thanks for the reminder

FannyCornforth Sat 28-May-22 09:44:59

Grannydarkhair and ‘Dirty Grandpa’ sad
I can only think that his ex-wives’ lawyers must have taken him to the cleaners.
Re De Caprio. I totally agree. I could just about manage to ignore him in Gangs, but Diaz managed to dominate every scene that she was in with her ‘wrongness’!
However- I did change my mind about him after seeing The Aviator where he plays Howard Hughes.
That’s a brilliant film. I might re watch it today!
Thanks for a great, albeit very sad, thread

grannydarkhair Fri 27-May-22 18:23:34

FannyCornforth TerriBull Raging Bull is always at the top or near the top of film critics lists for great films. I don’t think it’s an enjoyable film as such but can still totally appreciate De Niro in it.
GONY is a bit too graphic in it’s violence at times for me, but agree about Cameron Diaz, totally mis-cast imo. Plus, and I know this will be sacrilege to some, I’ve never liked Leo DiCaprio, he just doesn’t do it for me as an actor.
DDL, on the other hand, I love. I can’t think of a single film of his that I’ve seen that I haven’t really enjoyed, my personal favourite being The Last of the Mohicans which I have watched several times, it’s so beautiful.
I haven’t seen The Irishman, but given the cast, I’m sure I’d enjoy it. Pacino, Keitel, Pesci, what’s not to enjoy? De Niro really has made some poor choices over the years, hasn’t he? When you think of his brilliance in Mean Streets, Taxi Driver, Godfather 2, Deerhunter, Raging Bull to name but five, it’s sad to see him in things like The Little Fockers, The Bagman, etc.

tanith Fri 27-May-22 13:01:36

I’m surprised I’ve not heard of him either.

volver Fri 27-May-22 11:27:01

twitter.com/BaseballQuotes1/status/1529870667235135489

Is this heaven?

No, its Iowa.

?

TerriBull Fri 27-May-22 11:19:16

Yes Daniel Day Lewis fantastic in GONY, In spite of turning up in an ad for bread, lowering standards expensive divorce I gather, De Niro back on form in The Irish man on Netflix.

TerriBull Fri 27-May-22 11:11:16

Yes Gangs of New York brillian! I loved it. Martin Scorsce didn't win best director for that but some mediocre film down the line.

FannyCornforth Fri 27-May-22 08:44:48

Bull not Bill!
Bill was in Gangs of NY!

FannyCornforth Fri 27-May-22 08:43:53

It’s sort of ‘official’ that Raging Bill is the best, isn’t it
De Niro was so utterly brilliant, and now seems to be doing a belting job of trashing his own legacy sad

FannyCornforth Fri 27-May-22 08:41:47

Gdh I know that it’s not a popular choice, but I adore Gangs of New York.
It’s so over the top and atmospheric. Day Lewis at his wonderful, terrifyingly best.
But Cameron Diaz is so miscast, it nearly spoils it for me

grannydarkhair Fri 27-May-22 08:34:04

FannyCornforth I’d argue that Raging Bull is Scorsese’s finest film but only because of De Niro’s performance in it. I’ve only watched it twice whereas I’ve watched Goodfellas several times and enjoy it just as much each time.

FannyCornforth Fri 27-May-22 08:17:13

I love the scene when Henry and Karen are taken through the night club into the kitchens.
Such breathtaking cinematography.

(I’m not a fan of Field of Dreams though blush)

Spinnaker Fri 27-May-22 08:12:43

Goodfellas was an absolute favourite film of ours.

I remember many years ago being in a trivia quiz and the question was "How many times was the F word used in the opening scene of the film Goodfellas ?" I can't remember the answer now but I'm going to have to watch the film again today smile

RIP Ray Liotta flowers

FannyCornforth Fri 27-May-22 07:56:39

Goodfellas was my absolute favourite film too.
Scorsese’s finest imo.
Liotta missed out on the Best Actor Oscar; while Pesci won Best Supporting.

volver Thu 26-May-22 21:05:46

Ray Liotta

www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-news/ray-liotta-goodfellas-actor-dead-obit-1358948/

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 26-May-22 21:03:44

Watched a film he was in last night, I liked him.

Namsnanny Thu 26-May-22 20:48:31

He was in a Silvester Stallon film called Cop Land, he was very good too.

BlueBelle Thu 26-May-22 20:34:59

?? I have company hooray

Bellanonna Thu 26-May-22 19:56:48

No, blueBelle, you are not!

Lark123 Thu 26-May-22 19:55:00

BlueBelle

I ve never heard of this man seems I m the only person who hasn’t ?

No, I haven't heard of him either...