Gransnet forums

Chat

Handbags - what's your style?

(127 Posts)
Shandy57 Thu 26-May-22 23:13:18

Hello, I seem to have become very attached to a certain style of crossbody bag, and they've stopped making it. The one I like is called Machida by Kipling, it has a pocket on the front which I use for dog biscuits, and a pocket on the back I use for bird seed - I've a few 'tame' birds on my dog walk route.

Do you have a favourite style of hand bag?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 27-May-22 11:30:31

Oh dear, I confess to be a little bit obsessed with handbags (along with footwear)

I rotate them frequently, all styles and sizes depending on how I feel and what I am doing.

Georgesgran Fri 27-May-22 11:44:05

Love a bag! Being somewhat overweight, I wear dark colours, so a bright bag and matching scarf is a must for me.
I’ve a little ‘Enny’ bag (there’s a name from the past) on a cord that I use crossbody when dog walking. Holds my phone, keys, poo bags and ‘emergency’ tenner!

BlueSky Fri 27-May-22 12:00:15

Why do we always need to carry an handbag? That’s what men usually say. A dear colleague of mine, once ventured out without one, fed up with her DH’s remarks, till he asked “Shall we go for coffee?” and she replied “Have you got any money”? He didn’t. grin

Serendipity22 Fri 27-May-22 12:15:50

BlueSky Haaaaa

DanniRae Fri 27-May-22 12:22:04

I always have a black cross body bag on the go. My current one is from Sainsburys and I am very pleased with it.
For special occasions I have a smart leather cross the body bag - from Clarks I think?
But I don't have 'a thing' about them!

DaisyAnne Fri 27-May-22 13:32:12

The bag the OP describes are ones that, when looking for patterns for them, seem to come under "sling bags". Sling bags do come in all shapes and sizes but seem to include the narrow, just hold the minimum, bags. I am hoping to start making some of these in the summer for Christmas presents. They can range in fabric from summer floral to tweed, leather, etc.

Because I am looking at these at the moment, I picked one up at our local market recently. I think it's ideal for walking. So, the main body is 18cm tall x 10 cm wide and has a top edge zip around the short side, long side, and second short side. Sitting on the front is a gusseted pocket with a flap and some nice bag furniture and popper to hold it shut. This part is big enough to hold a phone.

The main body has an accordion lining with a central zipped purse. The areas on either side are just big enough for a mini diary on one side and small essentials on the other. There are also three card slots on either side.

I like sling bags as they lend themselves to the practical. They can be made to carry water bottles, iPads, A4 folders or whatever you want. You can walk or cycle with them and have them either cross body or over the sholder or using a wrist strap. They can go to the back or the front. One of my favourites.

DillytheGardener Fri 27-May-22 13:39:52

Cross body usually, Kate Spade or Coach. My every day Coach is very frayed and on it’s last legs, but I can’t bear to decommission it.

Doodledog Fri 27-May-22 14:16:25

They sound very useful, DaisyAnne. May I join your Christmas list, please? grin.

I have always been a bag lover. To me they are the perfect balance of form and function, and I have many of them. Since I left work, however, I have tended to stick to a leather rucksack style one by Spikes and Sparrow, as I don't wear the range of outfits that I used to these days, and it goes with everything. It's one of those things that gets better with age, so I can see it being my 'go to' everyday bag for years to come.

I sent a lot of bags to the charity shop a couple of weeks ago, and need to have another sort out of the survivors soon, as I really don't need them all and someone may as well have them before they become hopelessly dated.

J52 Fri 27-May-22 14:26:56

I’m a bag fan! I have a good collection of leather bags, ranging from small going out bags to totes for shopping, all styles in between.
When travelling by air, I try to just use a carry on case and have a special Longchamps handbag that holds books, a pair of sandals, I pad and documents. It’s known as The Travelling Bag.

Grandmadinosaur Fri 27-May-22 16:16:09

I’m a bit of a “bag” lady too ?

I’ve never heard of the Tusting brand before. maw and * Sago* I’ve just looked on the website and very nice they look too.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 27-May-22 16:21:10

J52 I have several travelling Longchamp bags, different sizes along with one of their backpacks which as it folds up neatly and is light as a feather I always pop in my case, even if it’s carry-on only.

Esspee Fri 27-May-22 16:21:10

This country is going to hell in a hand basket. Anyone like that?

jaylucy Fri 27-May-22 16:21:38

Oh Tusting bags ! Made only a few miles from where I live and they are lovely but way too out of my league price wise!
I love big bags, preferably with a long strap that I can wear cross body and lots of pockets or sections.
I don't mind what they are made from, it all depends on my budget at the time!

Sparklefizz Fri 27-May-22 16:38:42

Why do we always need to carry an handbag? That’s what men usually say.

We don't want to have lumpy stuffed pockets pulling our clothes out of shape like men have.

annodomini Fri 27-May-22 17:35:57

I have three red bags in use at the moment. The one I'm using today is a traditional handbag with just about room for phone, purse and sunglasses; another is a tote bag for long journeys and the third is a cross-body bag which I'll go back to when I feel the need for a change. I think all three came via Ebay and the most expensive was around £12 plus postage. I have several smaller bags for special occasions - gunmetal, navy and black to coordinate with whatever I'm wearing.

Rosalyn69 Fri 27-May-22 17:38:04

I also love handbags especially expensive ones but I do keep them for years. I have all types.

CanadianGran Fri 27-May-22 21:32:03

I tend to like crossbody bags as well, since they leave your hands free. I just changed to my summer bag which is a straw with leather trim from Banana Republic. It's not heavy, which is my main concern when looking at bags.

I have a leather bag for fall and winter, but it's on it's last legs so I have to get rid of it. I do have a newer tan leather bag which doubles from handbag to crossbody but it is heavier. It is lovely to look at though! It is a Kate Spade. Normally I don't spend too much on bags, but that one was on sale.

I also have a smaller evening bag clutch style, no particular name brand, which I have had for years.

BlueBalou Sat 28-May-22 06:57:03

I have a blue leather cross body bag for day to day use, it carries my purse, phone, keys etc. I bought it from Etsy and it’s really lovely.
I use a National Trust cross body for dog walking (I hate stuffing everything into pockets)
I have numerous other bags but I don’t use them now I’m retired - I should have a clear out really!
I too like Kipling bags, I have several, but I tend to stuff them full - they’re brilliant for holidays and travelling!

Musicgirl Sat 28-May-22 07:17:38

I like Radley and Ness handbags. Although I used to have cross body styles l now prefer to have one that goes over my arm. I like different colours rather than black. I really like handbags and have several different ones. My mother has always liked them too.

EileeZk Fri 23-Sep-22 09:20:15

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

EileeZk Fri 23-Sep-22 09:22:30

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Blossoming Fri 23-Sep-22 09:32:30

Crossbody bags are a must for me. My impairments mean I cannot carry a handbag or tote bag. I have them in different sizes to cover all eventualities.

Fleurpepper Fri 23-Sep-22 10:27:32

rubysong

A leather backpack. It keeps both hands free and the weight distributed evenly. There is plenty of room in it and I know what is in which pocket. It has metal zips so hopefully will last for years.

Same here. Got 1 leg shorter than the other after a very bad accident- and I need to be centred. Good quality leather, with several pockets, perfect.

TBH, I just cannot understand how anyone would spend 100s of pounds on branded handbags.

Baggs Fri 23-Sep-22 10:29:37

A cross body Osprey 'FlapJill' from ospreybackpacks. Bought it in Edinburgh a few years ago for its sensible pocketing and wide strap. I recently bought a Roka mini backpack for when I need to carry slightly more than the FlapJill will hold.

And I have a small cross body bag of my mum's for when I don't have pockets and only need to carry a hankie and a lipsil. She used it mostly for carrying her passport around.

I'm expecting these to "see me out" ?

Shinamae Fri 23-Sep-22 10:30:17

I only use a handbag when absolutely necessary, I really don’t like them and tend to put stuff in my coat pocket or jeans…