Gransnet forums

Chat

Handbags - what's your style?

(126 Posts)
Shandy57 Thu 26-May-22 23:13:18

Hello, I seem to have become very attached to a certain style of crossbody bag, and they've stopped making it. The one I like is called Machida by Kipling, it has a pocket on the front which I use for dog biscuits, and a pocket on the back I use for bird seed - I've a few 'tame' birds on my dog walk route.

Do you have a favourite style of hand bag?

rubysong Thu 26-May-22 23:19:23

A leather backpack. It keeps both hands free and the weight distributed evenly. There is plenty of room in it and I know what is in which pocket. It has metal zips so hopefully will last for years.

henetha Thu 26-May-22 23:27:20

Cross body. Nearly always Kipling.
They are lightweight and have lots of pockets.

Hetty58 Thu 26-May-22 23:50:25

Nobody around here takes a handbag when they walk the dogs!

MawtheMerrier Fri 27-May-22 00:08:04

Crossbody
I have a lovely somewhat battered Radley bag which I love and bought on eBay for about £20, it’s a excellent size- not too big but can accommodate a small umbrella if necessary

Teacheranne Fri 27-May-22 00:25:24

henetha

Cross body. Nearly always Kipling.
They are lightweight and have lots of pockets.

Snap! I love Kipling crossbody bags. I use a walking stick so find a cross body bag ideal, keeps my hands free. I bought three fake Kipling bags in Shanghai market many years ago and still use two of them regularly. I have bought genuine ones as well and often buy the smaller purses as gifts.

Lark123 Fri 27-May-22 00:39:45

I see Kipling bags on Amazon; I may order one, they look nice and they say they're light-weight which is what I would like.

Also lots of pockets and zips; perfect!

It's always a cross-body bag for me, the only kind I can use comfortably.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 27-May-22 06:23:15

I have a small National Trust bag cross body bag that MIL gave me some years ago, it holds my phone, poo bags, dog treats, my inhaler and glasses, great when out with the dog.

I have a large bag for going out, out, which holds everything I need and some things I don’t.

I also have a proper handbag which won’t hold very much, so if we are going out in the car I also take my large bag for the overflow!

Part of my decluttering is to get rid of 2 crates of bags ( under the spare bed) that I don’t use and have been keeping ‘just in case’.

travelsafar Fri 27-May-22 06:35:24

I have a cross body Troop bag which I use everyday, I love it, its charcoal grey and holds everything I need. Then I have Ralph Lauren cross body bag for 'best' my goddaughter went halves with me when I bought it as my birthday gift from her. Cross body are best for me as it leaves one hand free for my walking stick and the other to hold shopping bag if necessary.

Ladyleftfieldlover Fri 27-May-22 07:22:10

I have a leather cross body bag by Osprey. It is the perfect size for me. If I’m, say, going to London for the day, I also take a small rucksack with contains umbrella, water bottle and cardigan. Maybe a newspaper and book.

Jaxjacky Fri 27-May-22 07:48:38

Large leather M&S tote bag with shoulder straps. I can carry a myriad of stuff, including a bottle of wine!
If out walking, keys and mobile go in pockets, that’s all I need.

Grandmadinosaur Fri 27-May-22 07:48:46

I like crossbody style too. My favourite one is a Radley but I also have a couple of Kipling too. The Kiplings are like Mary Poppins bag you can get so much in them!

Kim19 Fri 27-May-22 08:22:09

Don't think I have a style. Just anything medium sized which will accommodate all my esentials. All I require is colour coordination. Haven't a clue of the names of any of the high flying brands.

dragonfly46 Fri 27-May-22 08:30:04

I have two bags - both bought by my DH and very expensive. One is black and holds IPad etc for winter and one smaller stripy one for summer. I am thinking a crossbody bag would be more suitable though.

BlueSky Fri 27-May-22 08:31:48

Same here Kipling crossbody! I used to be a shoulder bag girl till I discovered crossbody and never looked back. I never leave the house without it!

Visgir1 Fri 27-May-22 08:39:00

My confession.. Handbag obsession! Normally buy about 3 - 4 a year. All colours depends on the season, not a Black bag fan.
I normality have 2 on the go, cross body and traditional bag, also depends where I'm going to which bag I take.

Serendipity22 Fri 27-May-22 08:42:20

Always crossover now. I have about 7 ( coordination)
Need hands free, perfect.. smilesmile

Newquay Fri 27-May-22 08:52:30

Rarely use a handbag-little purse in one pocket, mobile in other. Just like a man! It really annoys me when many women’s trousers don’t have pockets-grrr!
Do have cross body bags for the few occasions I need more space

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 27-May-22 09:03:59

Crossbody for me if I can’t just rely on pockets, and a wristlet for going out in the evening.

Audi10 Fri 27-May-22 09:11:52

I’ve got several handbags on the go always have had, if I’m going out for the day it’s generally a tote bag! If I’m just going to town it’s a crossbody one. I love all kind of bags match my bags to my outfits

Shandy57 Fri 27-May-22 09:12:54

Thanks everyone, very interesting that Kipling is popular. I do like the crossbody style best, I do have a fear of purse thieves and 'bag snatchers'.

I went to Italy with the school in 1972 and saw our teacher fall face forwards onto the pavement as her large short handled handbag was ripped off her arm by boys passing on a scooter.

glammanana Fri 27-May-22 09:24:26

I have several crossbody bags which are so useful and a tan leather bucket tote which is my favourite bag I have had it for years and it never dates every year I waterproof the leather and it looks as good as new everytime.

Sago Fri 27-May-22 09:33:01

A black Liberty tote and a brown Tusting tote.
I have a handbag liner so I just transfer it from one to the other.
I have other “occasion” bags but love a tote for everyday.

MawtheMerrier Fri 27-May-22 10:32:50

I sold my Tusting bag on eBay!
I realised I had only ever used it once and a bad in its dust bag in the wardrobe is not earning its keep!

MawtheMerrier Fri 27-May-22 10:33:27

“Bag” not “bad “ blush