Gransnet forums

Chat

Scam warning

(6 Posts)
Littleannie Fri 27-May-22 18:59:48

Today I had a text supposedly from NHS test and trace saying I had been in contact with somebody with Covid, and I needed to order a PCR kit. It said this was free, but postage was 99p.
Just for a moment I panicked, having recently had treatment at the hospital and dentists. Then common sense kicked in, knowing that test and trace has been stopped. Research on the Internet showed it to be a scam.
Presumably, they would ask for your bank details in order to pay the "postage", and empty your bank account at the same time!
Just a warning.

kissngate Fri 27-May-22 19:20:07

I had the same one today. As I went to Dentist on Tuesday presumed it was because of that. When they said postage 99p alarm bells rang so googled NHS website and realised it was a scam as no one is being contacted now.

Oldbat1 Fri 27-May-22 20:39:10

I too had same text today. Normally I don’t go anywhere but this week I had a mammogram, a dental appointment and a hygienist appointment all on the same day. I did a search and saw this is a scam. My text came from “nhs-uk health department”.

Bellanonna Fri 27-May-22 21:15:18

I received mine a couple of weeks ago. As I knew they’d stopped issuing these texts I googled it and of course it’s a scam. I hope nobody has fallen for it.

infoman Sat 28-May-22 06:29:52

Thank you for the heads ups,just shows how THICK some of these scammers are.
If they had tried a few months back,they MIGHT have been a more successfull with the scam.
Keep the info coming on ANY scams you think might be a scam,its your very hard earned money you might have spent FIFTY years building up.They can take it away in just few seconds and clicks.

Ladyf Sat 28-May-22 07:15:43

I have had 3 scam text messages in the last fortnight. The first one informing me that "Simon had tried to deliver parcel but there was no one in". There was a link attached to email to "arrange another delivery time". My internal alert was up because I was not expecting a parcel and if anyone comes to my home, even people she knows, my dog barks loudly so i knew it was a scam. I reported the message as spam.

The next message was supposedly from NHS Covid Track and Trace but recognised immediately it was a scam.

The next message was supposedly from Hermes. I knew that the company name is now Evri so suspicions were up. At that time I was expecting a parcel but could not remember the delivery method. I checked the purchase company's website and discovered that this company use Royal Mail. Another scam reported.

When I next order anything online, I will check the delivery method and make a note of it.

My vigilance has backfired on me as I once deleted a message from my local surgery. As soon as I pressed delete, I realised it was a message regarding an physio appointment I had been waiting for. Oops! A phone call rectified the situation.

These scammers make me fume. It is good to share our experiences so we can be extra vigilant.