Gransnet forums

Chat

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's first official portrait released

(143 Posts)
ixion Thu 23-Jun-22 20:01:40

I'm not too keen on either the dress itself or the appearance of the bust and sleeves - or is it me?
Faces good, tho '?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61907696

DoNotDisturb Wed 29-Jun-22 22:09:47

Sorry CanadianGran....I think this is dreadful - I thought a child had done it! (Look at this lovely painting by a Canadian artist of Kate.)

volver Tue 28-Jun-22 09:32:56

Joseanne

Incorrect there volver.
Maddyone won't mind my quoting her comment, a perfectly nice painting, very good likenesses of them both.
Some posters can be impartial about the subject matter itself.

that most of the "anti-Royals"

Most

MOST

Joseanne Tue 28-Jun-22 09:31:35

Riverwalk

Luckygirl3

They look as if they have pokers up their arses!

shock

There goes yer damehood grin

At least William's face look like him - Catherine's looks more like Queens Letizia or Rania, in my expert opinion!

Luckygirl3 is right. They're standing so straight they're almost leaning backwards!

Joseanne Tue 28-Jun-22 09:29:13

Incorrect there volver.
Maddyone won't mind my quoting her comment, a perfectly nice painting, very good likenesses of them both.
Some posters can be impartial about the subject matter itself.

Riverwalk Tue 28-Jun-22 09:28:40

I really must get off my bum and get on with the many things I have to do, instead of musing on royal portraits!

Riverwalk Tue 28-Jun-22 09:26:59

Luckygirl3

shock

There goes yer damehood grin

At least William's face look like him - Catherine's looks more like Queens Letizia or Rania, in my expert opinion!

volver Tue 28-Jun-22 09:24:04

OmaforMaya

Luckygirl3

I think it's horrid!

What exactly is horrid about the painting?....or is it that you are just anti Royal?

I think you'll probably notice that most of the "anti-Royals" as you refer to them have stayed off this thread because discussions about a picture of a rich woman in a green dress and her potato-headed husband don't really float our boats.

Luckygirl3 Tue 28-Jun-22 09:19:32

OmaforMaya Mon 27-Jun-22 23:32:56

Luckygirl3

I think it's horrid!

What exactly is horrid about the painting?....or is it that you are just anti Royal?

Maywalk Sun 26-Jun-22 21:31:01

Can anyone on here do better?
I KNOW I cant.

Peaseblossom Sun 26-Jun-22 21:15:30

I'm not keen. Looks dreary to me and not flattering of William. His face looks odd. He's better looking than that. Yes the bust on her dress is not good.

Ali08 Sun 26-Jun-22 04:20:05

I don't like it but it's the dowdy background that is spoiling it!!!
They look great!

swampygirl58 Sun 26-Jun-22 02:31:44

I must admit I think Catherines boobs look odd in the portrait. Looks like they're heading south before their time. lol.
As for the dress, I don't like it. It does nothing for her. The colour is OK but thats' it.

blutz Sat 25-Jun-22 23:49:09

I'm not too keen on the way William looks.

pinkprincess Sat 25-Jun-22 19:58:33

Prince William does have that shape of face that shows on the portrait.It is his Hanoverian ancestry showing up very clearly.
Prince Edward as well.

Shizam Sat 25-Jun-22 19:49:25

Did hear William say ‘oh it’s big’ when they saw it for first time!

Callistemon21 Sat 25-Jun-22 18:54:00

I expect Catherine, if she reads this, might have her pinking shears out, ready and waiting ?

buffyfly9 Sat 25-Jun-22 18:49:21

I've looked at this picture so many times that it's doing my head in. The skill of the artist is without doubt, in fact at first I thought I was looking at a photograph. Anatomically it just isn't right to me. The bust is not right but I can't put my finger on it (if you know what I mean). William is just not right, full stop. His head is a peculiar shape and his pelvic area is too small for the rest of his body, he looks anorexic, in fact both of them do. I rest my case.hmm

Joseanne Sat 25-Jun-22 18:24:04

Neither does it show any great rapport between them which is a shame. In true life they are far more connected.

Callistemon21 Sat 25-Jun-22 18:16:40

Nagmad2016

As soon as I saw this portrait I though it looked a bit old and dowdy for this pair. They are young, and have a vitality that this portrait does not show. I've seen much better pictures (photographs) that show them off in a much better way.

Yes, it's somehow not showing their personalities - a shame
Bland and boring and not showing her vitality or his kindness.

It's just rather odd.

EMMF1948 Sat 25-Jun-22 18:05:00

I think it's awful, she reminds me of that Jones woman who's always moaning in the Mail on Sunday!

GrammarGrandma Sat 25-Jun-22 17:56:43

But William DOES have a funny shaped head! I think it's a poor piece of art.

hollysteers Sat 25-Jun-22 17:10:08

A competent portrait, taking no risks, but just missed a true likeness of Catherine.
William has an odd shaped head in real life.

Joseanne Sat 25-Jun-22 15:53:04

Perhaps someone from Cambridge can verify? The background is supposed to reflect the tones and colours of many of its historical stone buildings. I've been to Cambridge a few times, but can't say I noticed many downpipes?

MissAdventure Sat 25-Jun-22 15:27:47

Jeans and trainers would be more fitting for today's world, I think.
He's still a prince, whatever he wears.