Gransnet forums

Chat

Do not seem to be on the right wavelength .......!

(41 Posts)
Luckygirl3 Fri 24-Jun-22 22:16:29

I just went to a fashion show on the community hall in aid of the local school and sponsored by a posh shop in the nearby town.

The talk was all of make-up. hairdos and getting measured for bras. I do not possess any make-up at all (fairly dark-skinned with black eyelashes), I cut my own shoulder length dark brown hair and I do not possess a bra - I buy crop tops from ebay. I felt like a lost soul!! smile

Is it just me????

Callistemon21 Sat 25-Jun-22 13:27:48

I need a clear out....
I've used so little makeup since Covid that it's all very old. Presumably it has a bb date once opened and I should throw it out and buy new.

Callistemon21 Sat 25-Jun-22 13:42:04

There was a lot of emphasis on underwear and getting fitted - this lady is wearing a 38 DD and should be in a 32 GG - wow!!!

Many years ago a group I belong to had a demonstration of bras from a local independent store. There were a couple of models, different sizes and one of our members volunteered as a model too. Others volunteered to be measured.
It was surprising how many were wearing the wrong size bras.

Joseanne Sat 25-Jun-22 13:46:55

I don't think there are any best before dates as such, but if you look at the back there is a picture of a little pot showing how many months you can keep it once opened. So 12m, 28m, 24m or whatever. Anything from before covid, throw it out.

Riverwalk Sat 25-Jun-22 13:47:45

I have never been to an event where women were sitting at tables with glasses of prosecco, whooping and yelling...

See what you've been missing!

JaneJudge Sat 25-Jun-22 13:48:43

I have never been to an event like this either smile

Joseanne Sat 25-Jun-22 13:50:51

When you say a school fund raising event Luckygirl maybe most of the audience were yummy mummies and that's why?

Lucca Sat 25-Jun-22 13:56:06

Riverwalk

^I have never been to an event where women were sitting at tables with glasses of prosecco, whooping and yelling...^

See what you've been missing!

Well I like fashion but I’d hate the whooping and don’t like Prosecco.

Callistemon21 Sat 25-Jun-22 13:59:43

Thanks Joseanne
Time for a clear out!

Luckygirl3 Sat 25-Jun-22 14:08:29

They were school mums - it is a lowly small rural school with mostly farming parents - but they looked great and were clearly enjoying themselves hugely.

SueDonim Sat 25-Jun-22 14:11:33

I went to be properly fitted for a bra after having my last child and found I was wearing the wrong size, both chest and cup! I now wear the correct size and my bras are v comfortable, I don’t know I’m wearing one.

I like to wear nice (not expensive!) clothes, I am sensitive to the type of fabric, the cut etc and don’t like the feel of just having slung something on. My dh has learnt to live with my fussiness! Ditto make up, I feel put together when I have make up on and that I’m not subjecting the world to my grumpy resting face. I have different levels for make up though, depending on the occasion, all with some sort of sun protection.

Witzend Sat 25-Jun-22 14:11:48

Theatre and exhibitions, but not much else TBH.

After retirement he started yoga and French conversation classes, neither of which appealed, and my French was always much better than his anyway, if I’m allowed to say that!

I went for piano - taking it up again after about 50 years, from a very low base anyway, only ever passed grade 2. So really starting again more or less from scratch.

He’s also spent a lot of time on family tree research, which I would be interested in, but haven’t got around to it yet - a lot of knitting to finish before deadlines in September/early December/general winter, but it’s definitely down for after the C-word.
Needless to say he’s not one for knitting, but at least he doesn’t complain when I buy yet more yarn and sundry projects are littering the sitting room.

Ali08 Sun 26-Jun-22 05:15:24

Luckygirl3

I just went to a fashion show on the community hall in aid of the local school and sponsored by a posh shop in the nearby town.

The talk was all of make-up. hairdos and getting measured for bras. I do not possess any make-up at all (fairly dark-skinned with black eyelashes), I cut my own shoulder length dark brown hair and I do not possess a bra - I buy crop tops from ebay. I felt like a lost soul!! smile

Is it just me????

I'm like you!! I'm light skinned, though, but haven't used make up for years and years!
I cut my own hair, or get my daughter to do it, and I prefer it very short!
What's a bra? Lol. Awful things!!
Fashion shows mainly show 'clothes' normal people wouldn't be seen dead in and are really just to show what 'designers' could make!

Daisymae Sun 26-Jun-22 08:04:52

Well I wear light make up, buy clothes that I like and have hair cut professionally every 6 weeks. The only thing I don't do now is highlight my hair because I can't be bothered!

Granmarderby10 Sun 26-Jun-22 08:31:30

Well I for one would be extremely interested in the part about getting the correct bra size.
I couldn’t possibly go without a bra and not because it would look slightly obscene but because it is actually very very uncomfortable and ? sweaty.

Without resorting to surgery has anyone managed to lose weight from their bust without losing it from the rest of their figure?
Just ? ……

SueDonim Sun 26-Jun-22 13:38:50

Grandmarderby take yourself to Bravissimo to be measured! They’re brilliant. If you’re concerned, don’t worry, no one touches you (unless you give permission, for adjusting the fit). They don’t use a measuring tape or anything, they simply check out how you look in your current bra and make suggestions based on that. I went down one chest size and up two cup sizes!

There are all sorts of things to know, such as how the bra fits against your breastbone, how the cup encases the sides of your boobs and the shape of them. It was a revelation, I tell you! smile