Gransnet forums

Chat

Embarrassed by my shopping ?

(74 Posts)
MawtheMerrier Sun 26-Jun-22 12:22:27

No, not because it was full of Tena lady or boxes of Germoloids - but the good looking delivery man must have been aware of my 5/boxes of assorted mini ice creams on sticks ( mini magnums , Lotus Biscoff ), baps, bacon and two bottles of wine.
I wonder if they ever wonder?

Grammaretto Sun 26-Jun-22 20:18:33

When I was a student feeding myself for the first time and living on a grant (which was very small after rent) I bought a quarter pound of mince at the butcher. He said "are you 'avin a party?" grin

I'm on the till tomorrow. I volunteer at the community store. I shall have to report back!

lixy Sun 26-Jun-22 20:29:21

I used to shop for school parties - bread and jam to make sandwiches, iced gems, own brand crisps and orange squash and fairy cakes for 150 children. Always caused a comment!

At home I do sometimes wonder if the bin men keep an eye on the glass recycling box!

Jaxjacky Sun 26-Jun-22 21:03:57

Esmay buy a wine box, it doesn’t make a noise ?

Grammaretto Sun 26-Jun-22 21:50:31

I put out my bin tonight on the main road, with pub opposite. One Monday morning I found a notice on my recycling saying why it wasn't emptied and what I could not put in the blue bin.
I was furious to find half drunk beer bottles and cans filling my wheelie bin to the brim.
My fury took me across to the pub where the publican denied it was his but said he'd make a phone-call and magically my bin was delivered home, empty.

Scottiebear Mon 27-Jun-22 12:50:05

I like your style Maw. Excellent choice of products.

grannyteddy Mon 27-Jun-22 13:00:35

Jaxjacky, I like your thinking!
We frequent a local store and have a favourite check out person. One day, early Covid we bought a curry offer (rice, mains, starters etc), some wine on offer, two packs of paracetamol and a pack of toilet rolls in case of shortage. "Oooh, cause and effect" she quipped. Good job we know her well and we laughed together.

Riggie Mon 27-Jun-22 13:01:46

Esmay

Sorry my text looked as though it had been sent now it's disappeared .
My father has the free Ontex pads plus Boots own make .
He has chronic IBS and is on a special diet to see what it causing it .
It's very difficult to implement because he is so sick and uncooperative.
He's had a recent admission to hospital and they discharged him with diarrhoea.
I asked the incontinence nurse for
more pads .
You are only allowed four a day.
I also asked for a greater absorbency and she said that they are not available.
It is not true about the greater absorbency pads .
She only has to revise the prescription .
We had a heated discussion and she has implied in a latter to his Dr's surgery that he has a pressure sore ,which he does not .
It has caused a disagreement with his GP.

I don't want to hijack this thread !
Thank you again !

That sounds awful. We had no problem getting my adult sons increased, which shows what a lottery it is in different areas.

Mimi1956 Mon 27-Jun-22 13:01:48

My delivery drivers and posties always comments on the number of deliveries of plants ???

Sooze58 Mon 27-Jun-22 13:01:56

Sounds like a perfect shop to me!

Riggie Mon 27-Jun-22 13:03:17

Back on topic. Our deliveries are very boring because I tend to use them for a stock up shop of the busier things like loo rolls, washing powder and tinned goods.
They probably think we have a very strange diet.

GardenofEngland Mon 27-Jun-22 13:17:13

When I used to drink and we had our dog he knew the man from Majestic wines so well the dog used to jump into his van!

kittypaws49 Mon 27-Jun-22 13:17:54

I do most of my everyday shopping at a small supermarket round the corner. One of the cashiers is a very grumpy lady, who is finally beginning to thaw out a bit, we could be on first name basis soon. But I always feel embarrassed at the amount of cat food I buy , when so many people are struggling. She disapproves of it, I'm pretty sure.

Zetacatty Mon 27-Jun-22 13:22:33

Yes, I’ve done that. ?

Buttonjugs Mon 27-Jun-22 13:31:27

I used to deliver groceries and honestly we didn’t pay much attention to what was in the delivery, except for when bottles or cans make it heavier!

Sheila11 Mon 27-Jun-22 13:31:35

Esmay- dairy can cause IBS and bad diarrhoea.
I’m dreading ending up in a home where I’ll be fed white bread and milk based products. My IBS has gone completely since I
gave up both of the above.

Saggi Mon 27-Jun-22 13:32:37

My delivery from sainsburys had 6 bottles wine in it AND a bottle of expensive spiced rum !! Got my number alright. Well…the wine was on offer!!

Sheila11 Mon 27-Jun-22 13:32:52

Sorry -off piste again ?

Funnygran Mon 27-Jun-22 13:39:05

Majestic had some offers on wine we like a couple of weeks ago. Neither of us are driving at present due to medical reasons so I ordered online. The confirmation email said delivery would take up to a week which was fine - we weren’t desperate! Half an hour later I had a phone call from them to say everything was in stock so they would deliver within the hour. DH reckons we are so well known in our local store that they think we have a problem ?

Esmay Mon 27-Jun-22 13:53:07

Hi Riggie - it is a complete lottery .
Sheila - IBS ,Crohns ,Diverticulitis plus food intolerances run in our family .It was better until the hospital ignored it .

Jaxjacky - Great idea !
I'll be buying wine boxes and not bottles in future .
Less clunky and embarrassing when I shop !
Gin and brandy are nit available by the box though !

Nannashirlz Mon 27-Jun-22 13:59:01

If I’m out shopping I put all my health stuff at the top of my bag lol if it’s home delivery I can’t hid it. But having worked in shops. I actually never looked at what ppl had bought yet I’m aware of my own. We are funny us folk.

Happysexagenarian Mon 27-Jun-22 14:09:50

We buy our loo rolls in bulk from Who Gives A Crap. They are delivered every 6-8 weeks by Evri (Hermes). The boxes have the company name all over it together with amusing phrases and thank you messages for the deliverer. Our Evri courier (who delivers parcels here so often he's almost part of the family!) always gives me a big grin as he hands over the box. After delivering a few batches of WGAC loo rolls he asked what so special about them, I told him and some time later he said his wife had ordered some.

jenni123 Mon 27-Jun-22 14:12:21

I have to shop online. Last time I did a months shop and there were 4 boxes of icecreams, some choc biscuits and the delivery man said 'looks like you are going to enjoy your time with all your goodies'. I just said yes I will

grannie62 Mon 27-Jun-22 14:24:55

I am surprised how many people feel judged by shop staff. As a child my parents sometimes sent me to buy things they felt shy about asking for.

Staff should not say anything about what customers buy. At the the most expensive supermarkets, they are not allowed to make comments.

CleoPanda Mon 27-Jun-22 14:32:18

@ Happysexagenarian we love the WGAC products. Been getting the loo rolls for a few years, now get the kitchen towels and tissues too. When our godson started Uni and was in digs, we sent him a large box of loo rolls which he thought were excellent!
I think the company are doing fabulous things with their business model.
Sorry to go off topic! ?

Maya1 Mon 27-Jun-22 14:41:25

Oh Maw, you are funny. I've been getting the watermelon and lime vodka weekly as its been on offer at Tesco. The same with the cider, 3 for £5.00.
My delivery driver is lovely, he says l see you are still making the most of the offers. I wouldn't mind but l don't drink, they are for the OH.
I'm like Maw, mine are the mini magnums, lol.