Gransnet forums

Chat

Embarrassed by my shopping ?

(74 Posts)
MawtheMerrier Sun 26-Jun-22 12:22:27

No, not because it was full of Tena lady or boxes of Germoloids - but the good looking delivery man must have been aware of my 5/boxes of assorted mini ice creams on sticks ( mini magnums , Lotus Biscoff ), baps, bacon and two bottles of wine.
I wonder if they ever wonder?

Maya1 Mon 27-Jun-22 14:46:27

I just wanted to add, l always get the same delivery driver. He is a lovely man.
When l hurt my back and then broke my ankle, he packed my shopping into my bags and carried them through into my kitchen.
I called Tesco's to praise him and the customer service rep told me that hardly anyone calls to say anything nice.

JdotJ Mon 27-Jun-22 14:54:52

I had a conveyor belt full of unhealthyness and the lady on the till asked if I was having a party.
I wasn't !

Awesomegranny Mon 27-Jun-22 14:55:57

I love looking in peoples trolleys, you can tell so much from a weekly shop. What does it matter if you rather drink gin and eat chocolate it’s your body and you pay the consequences or it may be you’ve lots of invitations to dinners, parties and need gifts to take. What you buy is nobody’s business but you’re own

Amalegra Mon 27-Jun-22 14:59:45

I almost always use self check out as easy and convenient for the smallish amounts I usually buy per trip as I live alone. Anyone looking at my trolley contents must be very disappointed as I buy such boring things! Occasional bars of chocolate, maybe bread, baking paraphernalia (bake a lot for family), coffee, milk etc and yoghurt. LOTS of yoghurt as Greek yoghurt is my favourite food of all, usually about five or six 400 ml pots a week. Calcium levels=high. Me=strange?

MawtheMerrier Mon 27-Jun-22 15:04:34

Paw used to like to make Sloe Gin for the whole extended family at Christmas so getting a good deal on the quantity of gin we needed was important.
Id heard that Morrisons were doing a good offer one year and so we bought I think it was 6 x litre bottles. The woman on the checkout looked askance at all these bottles of gin until Paw said “We’re having the grandchildren for a few days”
“Of course” she replied, “I understand!” ????

Audi10 Mon 27-Jun-22 15:13:08

The heading is embarrassed by my shopping! I’m never embarrassed at anything we buy everything is for the taking! My cousin is a delivery driver he obviously notices as they all do, but he actually likes to see what products others buy as it relives the boredom he says, as long as he gets so many boxes out by such & Such a time he’s happy!

MawtheMerrier Mon 27-Jun-22 15:20:52

Audi it is Embarrassed by my shopping ?
The ?was very important.

Bijou Mon 27-Jun-22 16:17:46

The delivery driver empties all my shopping on to my kitchen table and although there are a lot of incontinence pads and loo rolls who ever it is they comment on the number of bottles of Guinness. I tell them that is what has kept me going so long.

Luckygirl3 Mon 27-Jun-22 16:21:26

The driver comes in and puts my stuff on the counter and helps to unpack as I cannot bend/lift at present. It is the packs of Always pads that cause a moment's lull in the conversation.

Riverwalk Mon 27-Jun-22 17:02:44

5/boxes of assorted mini ice creams on sticks ( mini magnums , Lotus Biscoff )

Lotus Biscoff ice cream on a stick - since when? shock

MawtheMerrier Mon 27-Jun-22 17:07:10

Since Waitrose!

Other brands are available

Riverwalk Mon 27-Jun-22 17:11:58

Is there not end to temptation.

I know you can get it as a spread, like peanut butter, but that doesn't interest me - wondering how such a humble biscuit reached the dizzy heights of ice-cream stickdom!

Yammy Mon 27-Jun-22 17:46:05

My hairdresser asked me where I was going next? I told her to get the recommended wines at Sainsbury's for my DH and then meet him in the graveyard. The other clients collapsed. I should say our local churchyard is in the centre of town and a lovely peaceful place.blush

Amandajs66 Mon 27-Jun-22 18:01:55

I was in Aldi at the weekend and bought a very large bag of dry dog food. As I was paying for it a man asked me if my dog liked that make of biscuit. My first thought was, I wouldn’t be buying it if my dog didn’t like it and then my second thought was to say.. I haven’t got a dog but my husband loves it.
I actually just said ‘yes she does’

nipsmum Mon 27-Jun-22 18:06:52

Ive never had my Tesco delivery driver comment on the shopping. My daughter and I have fun at the checkout looking at others trolleys. The best is still was 2 packets of cornflakes and 3 tins of Brasso.

mokryna Mon 27-Jun-22 19:03:52

In the early 60s I had to go to the local drapers a few doors down from where I lived, for the monthly pads. These were wrapped up well in brown paper to take home. I was embarrassed because men weren’t, I was told, supposed to see them and I thought everyone knew what I was carrying

pj40 Mon 27-Jun-22 19:04:17

MawtheMerrier

No, not because it was full of Tena lady or boxes of Germoloids - but the good looking delivery man must have been aware of my 5/boxes of assorted mini ice creams on sticks ( mini magnums , Lotus Biscoff ), baps, bacon and two bottles of wine.
I wonder if they ever wonder?

Forget ice cream. Get more wine

happycatholicwife1 Mon 27-Jun-22 19:55:43

?????

CanadianGran Mon 27-Jun-22 23:11:10

This is the first I've heard of biscoff ice cream bars. I don't think I've seen them here, but now I will have to look!

I remember tasting the cookies for the first time on a flight. They are not something that is carried regularly in grocery stores here. Some specialty import stores carry them. So tasty, and distinctive. They are better than just a regular ginger snap.

GreenGran78 Tue 28-Jun-22 03:04:12

I don't have my groceries delivered, and don't drink, so my shopping trolley is usually very boring. Sometimes, however, I have a mad sugar craving, and fill it with more cake and chocolate than is good for me.
I usually remark, casually, as it's scanned that, "That will keep the grandkids going for a few weeks!"
The grandkids are 18 and 22, and neither of them eats junk food! ?

Merseymog Tue 28-Jun-22 06:45:47

I always go shopping myself and I do notice nearby shopping trolleys and compare them with my own. As there are just two of us my load is generally smaller. I try to buy healthy options and avoid junk or processed foods. I do get a smug feeling seeing trolleys full of beer and burgers pushed by overweight people and wander what they think of my modest load of essentials.

MawtheMerrier Tue 28-Jun-22 07:01:48

To bring it down somewhat, that was one of the things I found hard after DH died. The “singleton” shopping experience ? when absolutely everybody else (or so it seemed , but of course they weren’t) was in couples and clearly shopping for a family.
I once had to just abandon my trolley and take refuge in the car to sob my heart out yet again.

Hetty58 Tue 28-Jun-22 07:07:45

I used to notice (when I still went shopping, always online now) the difference in average trolley contents - and body size - between Tesco and Waitrose shoppers. I thought, at the time (being painfully thin) that I should maybe live entirely on junk food. I've always liked real food though!