Gransnet forums

Chat

Why would any family with children have a dog like this??

(64 Posts)
Witzend Mon 27-Jun-22 12:16:57

Huge Canary Mastiff - I’d never heard of them until,last night.,

I’ll start by saying that we’re a firmly dog-loving family - we’ve had beloved dogs in the past - and dds and Gdcs have always been taught always to ask the owner first, before holding out a hand for the dog to sniff, before even thinking of touching them.

However, my Gds, nearly 6, was bitten by such a dog in a pub yesterday - having done the above and been assured that the dog was friendly - the family had their own children with them.

Thank goodness it was not serious - Gds was shocked but not really hurt. The dog gave no warning at all, and dd had believed the owners’ assurance that the dog was fine with children.

I do like to see dogs in pubs - I’d hate to see a general ban - but this has given us all a shock. As dd later said, ‘No warning - what if a huge dog like that had gone apeshit?’ ?

Georgesgran Mon 27-Jun-22 14:49:20

Love dogs - have had dozens.
That looks a beast and a half!
It reminds me of the guard dog in Harry Potter.
It’s not what I’d term a family pet.

Chestnut Mon 27-Jun-22 15:04:20

As I said, all dogs should be muzzled by law in public places. It would save both people and other dogs from injury.

sodapop Mon 27-Jun-22 15:21:22

It's unfortunate that the mastiff looks quite forbidding. I agree with GSM
I wouldn't say it was 'gross'. Much as I love dogs I think it unwise to take a dog of that size into an environment such as a pub. There would be nowhere it could find a quiet spot away from human interest. Owners have a responsibility to their dogs and to the public to keep them safe.

Audi10 Mon 27-Jun-22 15:33:35

Oh my word it’s half a camel! We own guard breeds working dogs! They do not go to pubs and we wouldn’t allow anyone to come up and touch them! Beautiful dog but so many people have dogs because the can afford them, they don’t research and then there’s trouble no fault of the dogs, but the owners every time, it doesn’t resemble a canary to me, And to be bitten must be so scary, incidentally we never let any of our children touch any dogs apart from our own wouldn’t take any notice of any owners due to the fact my son when around ten was bitten by a jack russel he had asked the owner who said yes it’s fine loves people I wasn’t there at the time it bit him, so lesson learned

Callistemon21 Mon 27-Jun-22 15:44:58

but the owners every time, it doesn’t resemble a canary to me it certainly doesn't!
?

Originating from the Canary Islands - Islas Canarias, Island of Dogs

henetha Mon 27-Jun-22 17:31:58

This is something I feel strongly about. It amazes me that parents of young children want to risk having a large/fierce dog in the house
And I was in a pub recently too where there were a couple with a new born tiny adorable baby, AND two dogs! One was a Jack Russell, lively dogs aren't they. The other was huge, really overweight but with short legs and had bulldog features.I don't know what breed that is. I was horrified and longed to say something. Even if the dogs were good natured, the large one could roll on the baby and smother it to death. The friend I was with pointed out that it was none of my business, but I had trouble keeping my mouth shut.

CatsCatsCats Mon 27-Jun-22 17:38:34

At first glance, I thought it was a bear!

Kate1949 Mon 27-Jun-22 17:45:47

There's one around here. Not the breed in the picture but a large mastiff type with massive jaws. The couple walk about with a small baby in a pushchair and the dog's lead tied to the pushchair. It makes my blood run cold. If the dog bolted, the child would go with it. Irresponsible.

Deedaa Mon 27-Jun-22 17:48:01

It's a magnificent looking dog but perhaps not my choice for a family dog. I'd be wary of taking into a crowded space too. I tend not to talk to dogs until I've spoken to the owners for a bit and the dogs know I'm OK.

CanadianGran Mon 27-Jun-22 18:02:29

I don't understand it either. There is one in our town, and it looks terrifying, even if it isn't.

I know people that have larger breed dogs, and there are limitations to where they can take them, and who will look after them, even some kennels will take only take dogs up to a certain size. Why get a dog that looks intimidating?

nexus63 Mon 27-Jun-22 18:11:22

my niece has a huskie and an alaskan malamute, she got them as puppies from a dog breeder, they are huge and very loving, she has 4 children. some people think because they are big then they are dangerous, you are more likley to get a bite from one of those snippy little terriers that bark at everything.

Blondiescot Mon 27-Jun-22 19:46:53

nexus63

my niece has a huskie and an alaskan malamute, she got them as puppies from a dog breeder, they are huge and very loving, she has 4 children. some people think because they are big then they are dangerous, you are more likley to get a bite from one of those snippy little terriers that bark at everything.

The most vicious dog I've ever known was a Jack Russell, which would bite anyone who got within reach of it (and I know not all Jack Russells are like that - blame the deed, not the breed!), whereas in contrast, one of the softest, most loving dogs I've had the pleasure to know was a nine-stone Rottweiler.

Callistemon21 Mon 27-Jun-22 19:51:47

The dog in the OP dog bit a child
The owners said the dog was friendly and the child let the dog sniff his hand first, as instructed.