Gransnet forums

Chat

Have you ever done something once but never want to do it again?

(145 Posts)
nanna8 Mon 27-Jun-22 13:06:24

Helicopter ride for me. Wonderful views up over the bush in South Australia but I was very nervous. I once went sand surfing down a stonking great sandhill in New Zealand, ended up in a river. I screamed the whole way down, got a mouth full of sand but wouldn’t do it twice.

HiPpyChick57 Sun 03-Jul-22 19:04:33

I’ve never done anything I don’t want to do again because I knew before doing it I didn’t want to do it at all ever. If that makes sense ?

AuntieEleanorsCat Sat 02-Jul-22 14:49:41

Snorkelling.

Frightened the shit out of me. Couldn’t get out of the water quick enough to the amusement of my entire family ?

nanna8 Sat 02-Jul-22 12:09:23

I went on one of those roller coaster things which went backwards in the dark at movie world in Queensland. I was with my grandson and he loved it. I was petrified, thought I was going to have a heart attack.

Redhead56 Thu 30-Jun-22 18:25:44

Froglady we went to the Liverpool Arena to see Frankie Valli. I looked up as I walked past the big wheel. I told my husband I would sooner die than go on that. It absolutely terrifies me just looking at it!

Froglady Thu 30-Jun-22 14:50:11

The big wheel at Liverpool: I went on it in my electric wheelchair. I was the only person on the wheel and I was terrified. I only moved my head. I had visions of the door coming open while I was on it. Never again.

glammagran Wed 29-Jun-22 17:04:49

Sounds like I had a lucky escape Naughtneine. We wanted to go on the cable car in Langkawi but it was closed for Ramadan.

dragonfly46 Wed 29-Jun-22 13:34:42

Have a spray tan, use a personal shopper, go on a big dipper!

Urmstongran Wed 29-Jun-22 13:26:11

Blondiescot

Camelotclub

A gastroscopy without sedation. Horrible!

Oh dear god, yes! Horrendous experience! I've also had a sigmoidoscopy and colonoscopy without sedation and while not exactly pleasant, they were a breeze compared to the gastroscopy!

OMG yes! I’d forgotten this particular procedure. I panicked halfway through mine and yanked the tube back up. ?. The nurse was shocked and shouted at me. Apparently I could have done some real damage.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 29-Jun-22 13:23:21

Water skiing, managed to get up and stay up for a while, I was absolutely petrified, never ever again.

Travel round Australia in a touring van with a 4 & 9 yr old for two months in their summer, every time we stopped they would run around the beach or playground like feral cats.

Urmstongran Wed 29-Jun-22 13:16:00

fiorentina51

Being driven over the Applecross cattle pass in the Highlands of Scotland. The views were amazing, I'm glad we did it but wouldn't want to repeat the experience!

Me too fiorentina did it last year. Never again!

Franbern Wed 29-Jun-22 12:38:39

Drove - once - across Snakes Pass (I think that is the name) between Sheffield and Manchester. Signs kept telling me to go 'dead slow', which I was doing, much to the obvious annoyance of the large lorry who almost drove into my boot to try to hurry me up. I really felt I as not going to across it alive.

DanniRae Wed 29-Jun-22 12:18:44

On holiday in Majorca we hired a car and decided to go to Soller. As we approached the town Mr R said did I want to go through the tunnel or over the mountain. Foolishly I said "Over the mountain!" Boy did I regret saying that ..... it was terrifying. I just closed my eyes - Mr R was driving - and prayed like crazy. Needless to say when we made the journey back we went through the tunnel!! shock We are off to Majorca again in September but there will no driving over mountains confused

JackyB Wed 29-Jun-22 11:25:41

A camel ride on holiday in Lanzarote.

We did that too. I was nearly sick with fright as I was sitting on the outside seat and there was nothing below me for hundreds of feet. It was hot and we were sweaty and slippery and I had DS2 on my lap who was about 2 1/2 at the time.

JackyB Wed 29-Jun-22 11:19:21

Trodden barefoot on a slug. Didn't see it in the grass. Yuk.

Athrawes Wed 29-Jun-22 11:17:25

Ice skating! I was invited on a date by a dishy young policeman and we went ice skating - something I'd never done before and it was awful as my balance has never been particularly good. We decided we weren't on the same wave length and called it a day. I've never been on the ice since!!

Nandalot Wed 29-Jun-22 11:12:40

Abseiling. It was a work team building weekend. We were abseiling over a cliff edge in Northumberland. It was extremely windy. We were given the instructions at the top of the cliff. I was so scared I couldn’t take it in. When my turn cam the wind keep pushing me back as I tried to step off so I had to keep repeating it. There was an overhang and I got into a real muddle and instructions were being shouted which I couldn’t hear because of the wind.

Nannagarra Wed 29-Jun-22 10:28:29

Yes, Tinky17 - exactly the same for me!

narrowboatnan Wed 29-Jun-22 10:12:56

Camelotclub

A gastroscopy without sedation. Horrible!

Ditto!

Witzend Wed 29-Jun-22 09:46:31

Not that it’s ever likely to be suggested again, but a bicycle tour of central Amsterdam. The pace was so fast, the traffic was horrendous, and the bikes were horrible ones where the pedals don’t turn unless you’re actually moving, so when very briefly stopped for traffic, you couldn’t get in a position to move off again instantly.

SparklyGrandma Wed 29-Jun-22 03:34:19

Travelling back from Barbados, on a DanAir 747 - or DanDare as it’s nickname was. Sitting right by a set of doors, from which there was a forceful draft and screaming windiness. Overheard Cabin Crew say to another; ‘I reported that door eight weeks ago and it’s still not been fixed - I won’t sit near it’

Gulp. A camel ride on holiday in Lanzarote. Horribly funny and closely followed by a large g&t.

Pot holing - never.

hollysteers Tue 28-Jun-22 23:56:01

Blondiescot agree re gastroscopy (felt like swallowing the Titanic) and that was with sedation.
Patient before me elected for no sedation and the procedure could not be completed…

NemoNanna Tue 28-Jun-22 22:37:08

Agreeing with so many on here. Ice skating, roller skating, Space Mountain, water flume at Center parcs (nearly drowned) and a helicopter ride over Franz Joseph Glacier in NZ, there was a fatal crash the week after we did it.

HannahLoisLuke Tue 28-Jun-22 22:26:17

The double cable car up to Corcovado in Rio. We really wanted to see the statue of Christ the Redeemer but the only way was to take two cable cars. One up to Sugar Loaf mountain, and then another up to Corcovado. Both over the sea in a glass bottomed car. I had my eyes tight shut and my husband was telling me to look, look at the view. Then he was saying that the metal cables carrying the car looked rusty! I felt sick with terror. The statue was beautiful, mesmerising but all I could think of was the journey back.

HannahLoisLuke Tue 28-Jun-22 22:04:51

MawtheMerrier

The Black Hole (or some such) at Alton Towers!

Oh hell yes, me too!

kevincharley Tue 28-Jun-22 20:28:37

Forgotten!
The photos online don't do it justice.