Gransnet forums

Chat

New items of clothing ! Do you wash before wearing?

(135 Posts)
Audi10 Mon 27-Jun-22 15:15:32

I always wash underwear yes, but I can honestly say I do not wash anything else! Maybe I’m a mucky pup!

SueEH Tue 28-Jun-22 16:42:03

I once took up a very expensive prom dress for a friend’s daughter. He came to pick it up and said he was taking it home to wash it. I was horrified! Apparently that’s what his mum always did.

Yellowmellow Tue 28-Jun-22 16:41:31

Always . You don't know ow who's tried them on, or where they've been stored

MerylStreep Tue 28-Jun-22 16:37:56

Franbern
I couldn’t agree more. I’m often horrified on here when I see the utter waste of one of our most precious resources.

Ros18 Tue 28-Jun-22 16:37:36

Yes I always do!

PattyFingers Tue 28-Jun-22 16:28:45

Always, I never wear anything without washing it first - you never know who has tried it on before you and whether they were clean..

Franbern Tue 28-Jun-22 16:25:31

NEVER.....and am not going to change. First world problems. We are all far too clean. It horrifies me the amount of bleach that has been used over the past couple of years, and then going into our sewerage.

I agree with the poster who commented that we need to keep our own immune systems working properly. So many allergies, etc are being caused by the over-use of far too many cleaning agents.

It has recently been proven that showering.bathing more than three times a week can actually cause problems.

Having survived my 81 years without ever having washed a new item, think I will continue in this manner.

HazelEyes Tue 28-Jun-22 16:19:03

Never. Although I may now after reading Dilly's comment!

nipsmum Tue 28-Jun-22 16:15:50

Only if it was bought from a charity shop.

halfpint1 Tue 28-Jun-22 15:46:09

for those who want more information
www.wash.com/blog/washresources/wash-before-you-wear/

Serendipity22 Tue 28-Jun-22 15:38:21

All depends... if its a brand new item then no, I done wash before wear but if its from charity shop then yes, i wash before wear....

smile

Dianehillbilly1957 Tue 28-Jun-22 15:29:43

Only underwear.

4allweknow Tue 28-Jun-22 15:24:47

Some new clothing has a horrible smell so I do give those a quick rinse. I was thinking back to childhood. Manufacturing was nothing like today, sooty factories, no individual wrapping of items. People didn't shower or bathe so often. Clothing made of cotton or wool so not really washable. Did I have everything washed before allowed to wear it, definitely no.

jerseygirl Tue 28-Jun-22 15:21:17

i dont wash anything else though

grandtanteJE65 Tue 28-Jun-22 15:19:59

I always wash new clothes, sheets etc. as I am allergic to most chemicals and perfumes.

Lots of clothes have excess dye in them when new so unless you want to risk it colouring whatever else you are wearing dyed clothes should also be washed before use.

Many garments have been tried on by other people too. All have I imagine been handled by many different people, packed and unpacked and stored in different places before even reaching the shop.

I would never consider using a dish, knife or saucepan I had just bougth without washing them first either.

I am really amazed by the different standards of hygiene we seem to have.

Bijou Tue 28-Jun-22 15:19:42

After seeing a report on TV regarding. . the conditions in factories in India and Bangladesh where children are employed and theysleep in the factory and never wash I always wash new. Clothes.

Hetty58 Tue 28-Jun-22 15:18:34

I remember reading about a bird mite infestation - from a cotton quilt made in China. The woman had to move house in the end - and throw away all her fabric or upholstered belongings to be rid of it!

jerseygirl Tue 28-Jun-22 15:11:01

I've washed bedding before i used it. It had an awful chemical smell. I didn't fancy breathing that in if it was on the bed.

Treetops05 Tue 28-Jun-22 14:54:03

I do wash everything first, as a child I reacted badly to newclothes with a very painful rash...so I don't risk it.

suelld Tue 28-Jun-22 14:51:14

Never - Life is too short!

Witzend Tue 28-Jun-22 14:28:16

halfpint1

This maybe a controversial comment but here goes,
does nobody wonder what causes the rising rates of cancer
when our food and clothes are constantly subjected to
chemical sprays?

I wonder even more so about the clean-freakery I read about, esp. on MN - people constantly disinfecting everything within an inch of its life. It’s got to the stage where I begin to think that almost anyone using the H-words (hygiene/hygienic) is probably OCD and spraying goodness knows how many chemicals around their house, lest any dastardly GERM! should dare to enter.

essjay Tue 28-Jun-22 14:24:20

No, but then i don't often buy new clothing

Happysexagenarian Tue 28-Jun-22 14:19:40

No. Not unless I want to shrink something a bit!

Nannyknee Tue 28-Jun-22 14:18:36

No I don’t I love the feel of new clothes and once washed they never seem the same also would you send an item to dry cleaners when it was new. I don’t think so.

25Avalon Tue 28-Jun-22 14:15:54

Only new bedding, towels, nightwear and underwear, plus anything for dh. I don’t bother with anything else.

NotANana Tue 28-Jun-22 14:00:24

I generally do, because new clothes fabrics have a “dressing” on them which I do not like the feel of.