Gransnet forums

Chat

Long nails on older hands. What do you think?

(178 Posts)
Urmstongran Mon 27-Jun-22 16:37:39

I have strong nails. I’m going for a manicure this week (you can see how they’ve grown in a month!) & would normally have them snipped right down. However this time because it’s summer, I’m tempted to just have gel polish put on them and not have them cut. But would it be a bad look for a ‘pensioner’? Do long nails just look better on the young? I’m wary of them looking like talons ...
?

Esmay Tue 09-Apr-24 08:21:34

Lovely long nails -lucky you !
Do whatever makes you happy .
I'd be flaunting them !
I just saw some photographs of nails decorated with flowers and they were fabulous .

Spinnaker Fri 05-Apr-24 12:34:40

Callistemon21

Germanshepherdsmum

Why dredge up a thread that’s two years old?

Oh, Duh!!

😁

Well, we might get some advice!

Caught me out too - but then spotted my pic and thought to myself must book in and get the old pinkies sorted grin

Purplepixie Fri 05-Apr-24 12:33:12

I have never been able to grow fingernails because I was a typist for years and they just broke off. My mam had beautiful nails and she said I had workers hands and she was right. Having worked all of my life! Now my nails are really brittle and splintery and often wonder if I had taken care of them over the years if they would have been better. I like to see long nails on either young or old.

Callistemon21 Fri 05-Apr-24 12:32:48

My nails are no better though!

Iam64 Fri 05-Apr-24 12:29:55

Oh my just seen this is an old op

Callistemon21 Fri 05-Apr-24 12:27:34

Germanshepherdsmum

Oh, Duh!!

😁

Well, we might get some advice!

Callistemon21 Fri 05-Apr-24 12:26:38

Pantglas2

Gosh, Urms I’d give my right arm (? IYKWIM) for those - mine are so rubbish and nothing I eat/ supplement/paint seems to work! Grrr?

Mine are dreadful too. They split and peel, just won't grow.
I don't want them long, just short and nicely shaped.

What's your secret, Urmstongran?

Iam64 Fri 05-Apr-24 12:24:43

Lucky you urmston. Gorgeous nails. Mine are in splitting mode

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 05-Apr-24 11:49:44

Glazmogon Fri 05-Apr-24 11:33:42

Long nails can look great at any age, as long as they're well-maintained and suit your style. You could consider a classic, elegant nail design to keep them looking chic and sophisticated. It's all about how you feel and what makes you comfortable! Enjoy your manicure!

SueDonim Mon 11-Jul-22 19:01:10

The gel I have done is painted on, like ordinary polish and then your hand goes in a drier/light thingy. When it’s been on a while, the edges loosen a bit and lift up, like a layer peeling off.

It’s not just that, though, there will be minute scratches and abrasions in the gel where germs can lurk. My dd has never worked anywhere that allows nail polish on fingers.

Riverwalk Mon 11-Jul-22 17:14:35

SueDonim

I’m really surprised at that being suggested for nurses, Urmston. There’s a danger of passing on germs/infection to patients from any type of nail polish. Nurses and doctors have to wash their hands many times a day and even the best gel nails will get damaged or start to lift up from the nail itself, allowing a reservoir of germs to grow.

Are there two types of 'gel'?

To me, gel is simply a type of nail covering - the one I have looks and feels no different from ordinary varnish and is not a false nail, so there is nothing to lift. It's not a false nail, just a coloured thin paint that dries instantly and doesn't chip.

Maybe there's something that I don't know!

As a nurse, although haven't practised this year, I've never worn any sort of finger nail polish on duty - old habits die hard.

Urmstongran Mon 11-Jul-22 17:03:10

Well it’s what she said SueDonim. I suppose a lot of nursing staff work in out patient departments. Or management. Or NHS education departments. Who knows?

SueDonim Mon 11-Jul-22 15:09:04

I’m really surprised at that being suggested for nurses, Urmston. There’s a danger of passing on germs/infection to patients from any type of nail polish. Nurses and doctors have to wash their hands many times a day and even the best gel nails will get damaged or start to lift up from the nail itself, allowing a reservoir of germs to grow.

Urmstongran Mon 11-Jul-22 14:50:36

I thought it was interesting too Riverwalk especially as gel nail lasts for about 4 weeks, no chipping. Such a great idea to be able to ring the changes in that time. I never knew it was a thing.

Riverwalk Mon 11-Jul-22 10:24:18

Interesting about the varnish over gel thing - not that I have many manicures.

Having a pedicure tomorrow and undecided about whether to continue with gel or ordinary varnish... decisions decisions!

Urmstongran Mon 11-Jul-22 10:03:35

I would do that too PinkCosmos. Having such long nails this time around (always when younger) is, for me, just a bit of summer fun. I intend to have them snipped right down (like Audi10 up thread) in a few weeks. That is my usual go-to with nails. However I’d forgotten how easily I can grow my nails and that’s why I posed the question ‘should I now I’ve got older hands?’.

I’m liking the idea of changing the colour now & again by applying some nail varnish!

PinkCosmos Mon 11-Jul-22 09:51:18

My hands and nails are similar in appearance to yours Urmstongran.

I used to have them about your length when I was young but prefer them shorter these days. I rarely wear coloured polish and just use clear nail strengthener.

I had a gel polish for the first time in February. It felt a bit weird at first. It lasted about two weeks until I could see it growing out. I foolishly took the polish off myself and in the process ruined my nails. The manicurist didn't help by filing the top of my nails down prior to the gel.

They are just about growing out OK now. However, I have had to keep cutting them really short as they are just breaking as they are so weak. I have got quite used to the short and might keep them like that permanently.

One thing I think looks awful is when someone has long nails on most of their fingers but they have clearly broken couple and these are really short.

When mine were longer and I broke a nail, I always cut the others down shorter to match

BlueBelle Mon 11-Jul-22 09:25:17

Gong back to the post i have nice strong nails but never done anything artificial with them just bite them into shape I m quite skilful at getting it right and not jagged

BlueBelle Mon 11-Jul-22 09:23:22

Some years ago ( ok a lot of years ago) I had a computer teacher she had such long nails she used two little stick things to tap the keys on the computer… they really were huge how could she wipe her bum ??

Kalu Mon 11-Jul-22 09:06:58

I too have gardening nails and keep them shorter. I apply Rejuvicote over a taupe coloured varnish which keeps my nails very strong. Wonderful stuff, no breaks or splits as I never wear gardening gloves.

Urmstongran Mon 11-Jul-22 08:47:36

Well, well. Who knew?

I went to have a pedicure last week. I never bother with gel for that - ordinary nail varnish lasts well until my next visit in four weeks.

What was interesting was I got told in the salon that gel can be covered with nail varnish ‘for a change of look’ and removed without damage to the gel! I didn’t know that, did you? She said she has clients, like nurses for example, who have a French manicure done using gel ‘for work’ then on their days off, choose a vibrant colour to apply, then wipe off with nail varnish remover for a work day.

Here are my gel nails. I’m going down to Boots later today to choose a colour change! I will put a brighter colour on and show you when I’ve done it.

FannyCornforth Fri 01-Jul-22 07:33:12

effalump

They look far better than the false talons that some people have. Plus all the chemicals used in their removal are known as endocrine disrupters. Probably why IVF is so common these days. Urmstongran, you stay with the natural look, so so much better and be proud of having such strong nails. My nails break so easily.

Like TopsyIrene, I’m intrigued too.
It’s just acetone isn’t it?
(Not that I’ve ever heard of endocrine disrupters)
Thanks Effalump

TopsyIrene06 Fri 01-Jul-22 07:13:48

Effalump. Please explain the link between endocrine disrupters and IVF. I have never read nor heard about it so need to know and understand more. Perhaps my ignorance could be directed towards the research.

pieinthesky Thu 30-Jun-22 23:22:18

My manicurist is our nearly ten year old granddaughter who can varnish nails far better than I can. I usually go with her colour choice although draw the line at assorted colours on the same hand!