Gransnet forums

Chat

Long nails on older hands. What do you think?

(177 Posts)
Urmstongran Mon 27-Jun-22 16:37:39

I have strong nails. I’m going for a manicure this week (you can see how they’ve grown in a month!) & would normally have them snipped right down. However this time because it’s summer, I’m tempted to just have gel polish put on them and not have them cut. But would it be a bad look for a ‘pensioner’? Do long nails just look better on the young? I’m wary of them looking like talons ...
?

Shandy57 Mon 27-Jun-22 16:39:32

You do what makes you feel good, sod everyone else.

Grandma70s Mon 27-Jun-22 16:40:48

I don’t think they look good on anybody, but definitely better on the young.

Pantglas2 Mon 27-Jun-22 16:41:34

Gosh, Urms I’d give my right arm (? IYKWIM) for those - mine are so rubbish and nothing I eat/ supplement/paint seems to work! Grrr?

DillytheGardener Mon 27-Jun-22 16:42:15

I’d have them file them down about half a cm, I have longish nails from time to time and think they look good (hopefully!)

Aveline Mon 27-Jun-22 16:43:28

Maybe gel nail polish but only slightly talonish? I mean maybe a bit longer than usual but not excessively so?

MawtheMerrier Mon 27-Jun-22 16:43:43

Short whether painted or gel
Talons don’t look good on any age

foxie48 Mon 27-Jun-22 16:44:58

You have elegant hands so why not show them off. tbh I'm not keen on blood red nails on myself so I go for more muted colours and I don't keep them too long either as i tend to scratch myself in my sleep. Just go for it. fwiw I don't always have my finger nails painted but I always have some colour on my toe nails as it improves the look of my feet as they are on show when I do pilates.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 27-Jun-22 16:46:28

Beautiful nails Urmstongran I would go with gel polish, it’s what I have and it last two and in this case three weeks.

As long as you are happy, that’s what matters.??

H1954 Mon 27-Jun-22 16:47:51

I'm a keen gardener and I'm always weeding, planting, pitting on etc so you can imagine what my nails get like.......and NO, gloves are not always an option.

I don't like to see really long nails in anyone.........how do they do simple tasks with long nails????

They can look nice though when properly shaped and polished with a suitable colour.

ShazzaKanazza Mon 27-Jun-22 16:52:14

I think you have lovely nails Urms I would keep them like that and just have your polish put on. Your feet are pretty too from your pictures. My nails are so weak and break very easily.

Riverwalk Mon 27-Jun-22 16:54:05

I'm envious of your strong elegant nails - mine are rubbish even with Imedeen Hair & Nail supplements.

Nothing to do with age but I'd go a bit shorter.

Yes to gel polish, which I have on my toes, it doesn't chip or flake and would last forever if the nails didn't grow!

FlexibleFriend Mon 27-Jun-22 16:56:34

I think the length is fine and no they don't look like talons.

Callistemon21 Mon 27-Jun-22 17:00:46

I prefer shorter nails but perhaps that's just envy as I've never been able to grow mine.
In fact, one split vertically and is taking ages to grow out.

What's the secret of strong nails?

Sueki44 Mon 27-Jun-22 17:02:24

I agree - I think your nails are lovely! I don’t think long nails are wrong on older hands at all , they can be elegant and a sign that you haven’t given up trying.

Mollygo Mon 27-Jun-22 17:03:55

If you like them long, go for it. They look a lovely shape.
Practically, for typing, ukulele, gardening and holding baby, I like to keep them short.

CraftyGranny Mon 27-Jun-22 17:06:29

Your nails look lovely Urmstongran, where do you get them done? I live near Urmston too

Smileless2012 Mon 27-Jun-22 17:06:38

Mine are long Urmstongran, quite a bit longer than yours so if you like them, keep them.

Enid101 Mon 27-Jun-22 17:06:53

I think your nails look lovely and sometimes it’s nice to have a change for the summer

Elizabeth27 Mon 27-Jun-22 17:08:49

I prefer shorter nails on old hands but that’s just me, you do whatever you are happy with.

Urmstongran Mon 27-Jun-22 17:12:14

What's the secret of strong nails?

Genetics probably Calli, but very little housework probably helps ha!
#lazygran

I will p.m. you CraftyGranny ?

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 27-Jun-22 17:21:17

I don’t care for long nails personally, or coloured polish except on toenails. The Teddy Bear Lady with pink hair on the Repair Shop has long painted nails - she obviously likes them but I think they’re horrid. But that’s just me. I like neat, just above fingertips, clean nails and ‘natural’ polish.

Grandmafrench Mon 27-Jun-22 17:21:38

You have lovely nails and I don’t think age is relevant if hands are cared for and the nails a good shape. Yours are, so why not show them off?
Nails a lot longer might be less practical, but suppose that depends on how the #lazygran lifestyle is holding up? ?

Blossoming Mon 27-Jun-22 17:27:03

I agree with Grandmafrench, you have lovely hands and nails Urms. I keep mine short and tidy, I have a habit of catching and breaking them. I’d lie to have elegant nails!

Serendipity22 Mon 27-Jun-22 17:29:47

Wow, absolutely WOW.... why does it have to be that as we age, a lot of sexy sasssiness disappears with the years???? Keep those beautiful nails, be proud of them. Good grief, I refuse point blank to stop allllll signs of sasssssinesssss, POINT BLANK.

Your nails are BEAUTIFUL ?