Gransnet forums

Chat

Open garden cream teas, how much should I charge?

(65 Posts)
Sago Thu 30-Jun-22 09:01:11

On Sunday we are opening our garden for a local open gardens event.

We have done this in previous years but have had a 4 year break due to Covid and a nasty committee (ex) member.

We serve homemade cream teas, coffee, cakes, cordial etc.
I have 150 scones I have made sitting in the freezer!

In previous years 2 scones with cream and jam was £2.50, tea,coffee or juice, £1 and cake £2.

Everything is served on China with tea pots, cafetières,milk and sugar etc, no disposables.

Do you think £3 for the scones is too much or should I keep the prices as they are and put a jar for tips out?

All proceeds are for the local hospice.

Cs783 Thu 30-Jun-22 09:12:17

I hope your efforts are very much appreciated. £3 seems to me to involve a generous donation (of baking plus setting up costs) on your part.

One option is to go with the minimum price that covers your direct expenses and have a sign saying ‘suggested contribution’. Some may pay less and I hope some would be able and willing to add a donation on top.

VB000 Thu 30-Jun-22 09:13:58

Definitely not overpriced, especially with nice china etc - people won't mind, especially for a good cause. Hope it all goes well this weekend!

Galaxy Thu 30-Jun-22 09:14:36

I would charge more for the cake. You dont often get a slice of cake for under £3.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 30-Jun-22 09:23:36

I’d be inclined to sell the scones individually - say £1.50 each. And maybe a not-too-huge slice of cake for £2.50. I could easily eat one scone (not two) and a not-too-big slice of cake so with a coffee you’d make £5 out of me.

Sago Thu 30-Jun-22 09:30:52

GSM It is 2 small scones, experience taught us a lot of couples preferred to share a portion.
If someone asked I would of course do 1 at half price.

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 30-Jun-22 11:43:24

OH and I had a cream tea yesterday at a local National Trust property. A pot of tea each with milk, two scones each, tubs of clotted cream and jam. Served on china. £9 for the lot. We thought it was a bargain.

Moggycuddler Thu 30-Jun-22 11:48:21

Very reasonable! I'd charge a little bit more, since it's for a good cause.

Macgran43 Thu 30-Jun-22 11:49:15

Well done for doing this. I would say £3.50 is a reasonable charge for tea/ coffee and scones. I presume there will be a fee for looking at the gardens too. This is usually £5 in my neighbouring village. Hope the sun shines and you have a good day.

coastalgran Thu 30-Jun-22 12:02:15

Find out from the open gardens scheme what is usually charged and do the same. Perhaps a donations jar for the hospice could be placed at the entrance/exit for people to give to it separately. Most open gardens that I have visited in Scotland set out lovely spreads, some even have plants for sale or jams, honey or other home made produce.

TerriBull Thu 30-Jun-22 12:06:02

£3 more than reasonable there won't be anywhere else that will sell them at that price. I'd charge a fiver and include a drink of choice, still think that would be remarkable value for two homemade scones, cream, jam and tea especially on nice china, maybe with the proviso that second and subsequent cups will be included in that price.

Hope it all goes well for you

Serendipity22 Thu 30-Jun-22 12:07:22

Ohhh heck I wouldnt like to hazard a guess BUT ABSOLUTELY HATS OFF TO YOU FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK .....flowers

1summer Thu 30-Jun-22 12:12:27

We recently had at a local garden centre one scone each with clotted cream and jam and pot of tea for two and it was £11 something. I though that was OK husband thought it expensive. But he is always complaining about prices of tea and coffee ( wont set foot in Costa or Starbucks etc).

Helen657 Thu 30-Jun-22 12:14:36

I would quite happily pay £5 for a cake or scone with a drink - particularly as the proceeds are going to such a worthy cause. You could quite easily increase each of your prices a little, definitely £3 for the scones!

Thank you for being so generous with your time, I hope the sun shines for you ?

Ainee Thu 30-Jun-22 12:15:00

Why frozen scones ?

Nannytopsy Thu 30-Jun-22 12:20:18

Frozen because the OP won’t have time to bake them this weekend I guess?

Treetops05 Thu 30-Jun-22 12:20:39

Ainee- I suspect making 200 on the day, as well as making sure the garden is perfect and setting up tables, chairs and baking the cakes is simply too much for any human to achieve?

Auntieflo Thu 30-Jun-22 12:26:21

Your suggested prices sound very reasonable.
Last week I was at a garden centre and a slice of cake was approx. £4.25.
Home made cakes are so much nicer and worth a bit more.
Hope your Open Garden is a success.

Missingmoominmama Thu 30-Jun-22 12:27:54

I’d up the cake and scones by £1, and the drinks by 50p.

flowersfor you!

Urmstongran Thu 30-Jun-22 12:36:07

You are a good egg. I hope the ? shines and you raise loads of money for your chosen charity!

I think your prices are very reasonable. I too think you could charge a tad more for a slice of home made cake (yummy) but then again it’s better you sell them all by the end of the event.

Nashville Thu 30-Jun-22 12:36:55

The last open garden I attended was ticketed on the gate at £5 which included the scones and tea etc. you handed your ticket in at the food area and made your choice.

I thought this reasonable and meant the need for a float was minimal.

Merryweather Thu 30-Jun-22 12:51:23

I think £3. Is very reasonable. Especially as it includes jam and cream. Is it clotted cream? If so id go to £3.50

bebe2 Thu 30-Jun-22 13:13:52

Too cheap!!

GrammaH Thu 30-Jun-22 13:22:08

We went to open gardens in a village close to us the other week. Cream teas were advertised for £5 per person which sounded good value...it was for one scone, jam, cream & a cuppa! Of course we paid and said nothing, as did many others as the tea tent was full but I must admit I was expecting a slice of cake as well for the price! Admission to the gardens was £5 per person so no wonder they raised over £2000 on a wet weekend.

LovelyLady Thu 30-Jun-22 13:22:29

It’s possibly worth £3 but not all are able or willing to pay that. It’s not a commercial event so I’d stick to £2:50
I think £5 for a couple is good value and the intention is to give to charity.
Put a donation jar out as well.
Money is very very tight just now and if it’s too expensive folk will not buy and possibly not return next year OR buy and not return next year. Of course it’s in delph but that’s not costing you anything as you will already have that. Please don’t overcharge. I go to events like this often and at the greedy ones I spend less.
We have been invited to a church ‘do’ the dinner is £25 and to bring our own drinks. Raffle tickets £5. Very overpriced and I’m going but my husband is not. Had it been £19 then we’d both go and spent lots on raffle tickets. I don’t like overpriced charity events.
I do hope you raise a lot for the charity.
There is a new Hospice built in Bray it’s huge and on a great site overlooking a lake and blocking residents view, but cost a fortune to build. This is one of the most expensive areas in UK so I wonder where that money came from. I’ve had lunch there often as the view is great.