Gransnet forums

Chat

So we've a money tree in Garden of No.10

(40 Posts)
Bea65 Thu 30-Jun-22 09:15:14

News of an underfunded account in No.10 report says we going to loan Billion pounds from this Account to help Ukraine...what is this account?

MaizieD Thu 30-Jun-22 09:22:36

Can you give us a little bit more to go on instead of assuming that everyone knows what you are talking about. Even a link to a fully accessible (i.e not behind a paywall) would do.

MaizieD Thu 30-Jun-22 09:23:23

rats! a fully accessible article...

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 30-Jun-22 09:25:08

I have no idea what this is about. News to me.

Grannynannywanny Thu 30-Jun-22 09:27:02

Ukraine War: UK pledges an extra £1bn in military support www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61990479

CatsCatsCats Thu 30-Jun-22 09:28:28

It was on Radio 4 news this morning.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61990479

I'm in full agreement with it, for what it's worth

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 30-Jun-22 09:28:50

It’s the ‘found down the back of the sofa’ account. The same one that was used back in the early days of the pandemic for paying people on furlough.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 30-Jun-22 09:29:26

Thanks for that. Nothing at all like Bea describes.

Bea65 Thu 30-Jun-22 09:40:40

MaizieD Sky news..not good with links smile
Also onGMTV a former MP who now sits in House of Lords was asked where would Boris find this Billion Pounds and he responded something like well..the Government has an underfunded account ..said there are a few underfunded accounts but would not name them...

Bea65 Thu 30-Jun-22 09:43:20

Well sorry GSM am not verbatim typist!

GrannyGravy13 Thu 30-Jun-22 09:49:31

I would much rather the Government used this money to support Ukraine with arms and training their armed forces with the end game of containment of hostilities in Ukraine and the eventual end of the war.

The alternative of this war spreading is too horrendous to consider.

Grammaretto Thu 30-Jun-22 09:57:09

I am sorry to say that more weapons will lead to more escalation which can only lead to the inevitable nuclear option.
There has to be a peaceful negotiation to end the madness of war.
It will mean forfeiting land and resources but isn't that preferable to sending more young men to be cannon fodder?

RichmondPark Thu 30-Jun-22 10:20:31

I completely agree with GrannyGravy13.

AGAA4 Thu 30-Jun-22 11:35:35

95 million is being taken from the devolved nations.

It is extremely important that Ukraine wins this war for the stability of the whole world but wonder if this is fair as the Tories haven't been known for their fairness to Scotland and Wales

MaizieD Thu 30-Jun-22 18:08:01

Bea65

MaizieD Sky news..not good with links smile
Also onGMTV a former MP who now sits in House of Lords was asked where would Boris find this Billion Pounds and he responded something like well..the Government has an underfunded account ..said there are a few underfunded accounts but would not name them...

It's because no politician dares tell the truth, which is that the government can create as much money as it pleases. If they did tell the truth it would put paid to austerity, taxing the already poor, being 'economical' with benefits, cutting public services etc. etc.

I have tried to explain this on many occasions... ?

(And no, so long as there is something to spend the money on, *it doesn't lead to inflation*)

Bea65 Thu 30-Jun-22 18:10:22

Grammaretto agree with you..sad

Bea65 Thu 30-Jun-22 18:12:30

I just don't see Putin backing down..am uber angry and super sad

BlueSky Thu 30-Jun-22 18:13:01

Grammaretto agree with you too.

Oldnproud Thu 30-Jun-22 18:14:26

I am prepared to reveal my ignorance through this question: in the given context, what on earth is 'an underfunded account'?

Bea65 Thu 30-Jun-22 18:20:02

Oldnproud we would all like to know..when the Lord (sorry forgot his name) was probed on this on GMTV, he was not very transparent.....but he should have been prepared to answer the Big ??s and am not clear either..apparently Gov have a few underfunded accounts, presume the Budgets for these accounts were over-inflatedconfused

maddyone Thu 30-Jun-22 18:25:35

It is extremely important that Ukraine wins this war for the stability of the whole world…..

Yes indeed, exactly so. I couldn’t agree more. Therefore I have absolutely no objection to the UK giving money, arms, and expertise to enable this to happen.

DoNotDisturb Thu 30-Jun-22 18:26:35

Grammaretto would you be saying this if we had to lose, say, East Anglia in order to resolve a conflict on our soil, or allow a foreign power to take control of Yorkshire, or annexe the Isle of Wight?
Putin is not someone to negotiate with, he is completely untrustworthy and, basically, a psychopath.
My lovely Ukranian guest tells me of the shocking corruption in Ukraine, but that that things would be 100 times worse under Russian control.
You cannot draw up a workable peace agreement under those circumstances.

Oldnproud Thu 30-Jun-22 18:30:48

Bea65

Oldnproud we would all like to know..when the Lord (sorry forgot his name) was probed on this on GMTV, he was not very transparent.....but he should have been prepared to answer the Big ??s and am not clear either..apparently Gov have a few underfunded accounts, presume the Budgets for these accounts were over-inflatedconfused

Try as I might, I just can't get my head around this. I can't see how the words 'underfunded account(s)' equate to having unexpected funds for something, aka, a magic money tree. I must be being very thick, because the opposite feels more logical to me blush

MaizieD Thu 30-Jun-22 18:39:17

Oldnproud

Bea65

Try as I might, I just can't get my head around this. I can't see how the words 'underfunded account(s)' equate to having unexpected funds for something, aka, a magic money tree. I must be being very thick, because the opposite feels more logical to me blush

There's no such thing as an'underfunded account' that suddenly has £nbillion in it. Johnson is talking out of his backside, as usual.

Oldnproud Thu 30-Jun-22 18:44:44

MaizieD

Oldnproud

Bea65

There's no such thing as an'underfunded account' that suddenly has £nbillion in it. Johnson is talking out of his backside, as usual.

Thanks, Maizie. Your words make a lot of sense to me, unlike the meaningless twaddle about underfunded accounts.