Gransnet forums

Chat

Fridge /Freezers, on or off?

(34 Posts)
Bluesmum Thu 30-Jun-22 10:50:20

I am going to Australia for a 6 month holiday. Is it a good idea to switch my fridge and my freezer off whilst I am away, they will be empty of course? My brother and sil will be looking after post and the garden etc, so visiting regularly to keep an eye on things. With the cost of utilities I thought switching everything off was a good idea, but several people have advised against without being able to give good reason! What do you lovely wise folk think!

TwinLolly Fri 01-Jul-22 14:42:51

Good idea to clear about both fridge and freezer, defrost, switch off and leave the door open while you are away. DH does that every time we are away at sea for 3 to 4 months at a time.

But we also leave the thermostat of the heaters slightly on - to kick in when the temperatures dropped below freezing, so no burst pipes.

Have a fantastic holiday!

cc Fri 01-Jul-22 15:09:55

Yes, a good idea to leave the heating on with the thermostat low. I think that this is also an insurance requirement. (Obviously make sure the hot water isn't on too!).

sandelf Fri 01-Jul-22 15:16:46

Oh yes Off. For a week or two mine has a holiday function, but as they'll be empty, off and ajar Have a FAB time.

Grantanow Fri 01-Jul-22 15:39:01

Empty, switched off and with the door wedged open. We used to do this in our French holiday home for 6 months and it worked fine. Good to give the shelves and door edges a wipe to discourage mould.

Shizam Fri 01-Jul-22 17:04:39

If your brother is occasionally staying overnight, won’t he want access to a working fridge? Just a thought. Have a good trip ?

vickya Fri 01-Jul-22 18:07:09

Charleygirl you could get a professional house sitter for a few days now and then.

H1954 Fri 01-Jul-22 18:13:09

Saggi

On…. what’s the point of anything else. Unless you’re going for more than 3 months!! All that running down contents and cleaning. No thanks.

There's every point Saggi! We only went away fora week and we turned everything off apart from the fridge/freezer - the broadband router, microwave, recliner chairs, landline cordless phones.......you name it, we unplugged it!

MaggsMcG Fri 01-Jul-22 18:54:50

6 months, yes emptied and off with door left open.