Gransnet forums

Chat

Are covid jabs useless?

(104 Posts)
Honeysuckleberries Thu 30-Jun-22 16:40:05

No I’m not an anti vaxxer and I’ve had all my jabs BUT my poor daughter in law is really ill at the moment with covid.
She’s a teacher of teenagers and despite as many precautions as she takes she just can’t avoid it. She has had all her jabs too but this her third and worst bout of it. It really doesn’t say much for immunity from the jabs or natural immunity from having it. If there is so little efficacy from the jabs then I’m not going to be having any more of them.

Grandma2213 Sun 03-Jul-22 02:12:59

My son has just been very ill with what looks like Covid but has repeatedly tested negative. His partner and daughter have covid and all of his workmates and partners also have it, Some of them have not been as ill as he has. I also have a friend who has worked as a teacher since the beginning of the pandemic and has repeatedly had covid like illnesses. Again she has always tested negative despite pupils, colleagues and her family having covid and some being less ill. I am hearing of others in similar circumstances and wonder if any other gransnetters have experienced this. I think we still have much to learn about individual immune responses. (By the way all of these people have been vaccinated.)

GrauntyHelen Sun 03-Jul-22 01:03:44

Without the jabs she might be dead

Tamayra Sun 03-Jul-22 00:12:54

I agree There’s lots of information about the down side of the ‘vaccines’ even from the actual vaccine producers.
When top athletes start dropping from heart attacks & the numbers of stillborn babies rise we need to look more closely at the vaccine agenda.

4allweknow Sat 02-Jul-22 17:43:00

Looks like she is susceptible to all tge different variants of Covid. What woukd she be like without the vaccines, makes you wonder. Do hope she has a speedy recovery.

Farzanah Sat 02-Jul-22 16:53:36

As I have previously mentioned. If you check out last Friday’s “Indie Sage” on YouTube, many of these questions posed on covid vaccination and re infection are very clearly explained by medical scientists.
Evidence and not opinion.

Amalegra Sat 02-Jul-22 16:14:56

I think so much depends on the individual and their personal immune system response. My niece, a healthy, strong young woman and a nurse has had it three times despite being fully vaccinated. The first two bouts left her with nothing more than the sniffles; the third time she was really ill. My daughter, who suffers from asthma and recurring chest infections due to various problems and is fully vaccinated, wfh, and doing her best to stay safe, got Covid and barely knew she had it although of course I was (needlessly as it transpired) terrified for her. All my family whom I see constantly and are fully vaccinated have had it? Me? Always tested negative after several tests per time although I am always around them! I think the vaccine will become like the flu jab. Those eligible for whatever reason have one every year but are aware that it may not stop them catching flu. And to the wrong person that too can be a very nasty and debilitating illness and to some poor souls a killer! Until the time when the health of everyone’s immune system and its response to illness and disease can be individually tested we will have to take something of a chance. I myself prefer the risk rather than than any such testing programme, hypothetical at present, thank heavens, which would be ripe for misuse and discrimination and may well be an excuse to limit personal liberties even further.

GraceQuirrel Sat 02-Jul-22 16:14:52

I work in a nursing home. All residents and staff jabbed. Covid is rife in there at the moment.

kjmpde Sat 02-Jul-22 15:42:24

my view is that you are damned if you do get vaccinated and damned if you don't. I had no reaction to the vaccine and just had 2. no covid. ( yes I've tested)
my cousin's wife has had 3 jabs, very cautious but has long covid
my brother had the jabs which caused his death as a bad reaction
there is no right or wrong answer but for me the decision is no more jabs.

AreWeThereYet Sat 02-Jul-22 15:27:10

Kryptonite

Different variants need different jabs? So existing jabs won't work with these new variants? Confused. I always thought if you had a vaccination it would protect you against the thing you've been vaccinated against, like flu, measles, smallpox, rubella, mumps, polio, chickenpox ...

As the virus mutates it can change the way it attacks the body and how the immune system has to then deal with the virus. That's why we sometimes need a new vaccine.

Many, many variants of flu have been identified over the years, some of them extremely dangerous, some much milder. Every year the scientists have to make a best guess about which ones we need to be protected from when they produce the flu vaccine. Same with the Covid vaccine.

Vaccines can't possibly stop us getting a virus, it would have to prevent it from entering the body. All it can do is help our body overcome the virus so that we don't become seriously ill. How ill we get depends on a number of factors - how good our own immune system is, how much of the virus has entered our body, which variant of a virus has entered the body. As I understand it the early variants Alpha and Delta affected deep in the respiratory system, in our lungs, causing very serious illness. Omicron affected higher up the airways so people got coughs and sneezing and cold like symptoms and were not generally as seriously ill. As far as I know the latest Omicron variants BA.4 and BA.5 are still being assessed.

DutchDoll Sat 02-Jul-22 14:56:49

My immunity is severely compromised as I've had to take daily steroids for the last 2 years.
I've had 2 AstraZeneca, 2 Pfizer and 1 Moderna in that order.
I buy high dose vitamin D3 & K2 tablets which I take daily ( for last 20 months).
Neither my husband nor myself have had Covid.
We have been on the ONS COVID-19 survey. We are tested both with swabs and blood samples every month. This shows that neither of us currently have covid and that we've neither of us had it in the past.
My husband has had 2AZ and 1 Pfizer.
Both of us will have as many extra vaccinations as we are offered.
We are fairly careful about where we go but neither of us are paranoid about what we do. We don't wear masks outside and today went into an M&S food store without wearing masks as there were only half a dozen other people in there and they were well spread out.
Vaccinations give people a chance to enjoy life rather than being paranoid.
My mother as a child had whooping cough at 6 months, and continued her childhood having the usual measles, mumps etc. She then went on to be hospitalized with yellow jaundice & scarlet fever and when she was 13 with diphtheria. She was really thin and was told that she should never work. She walked into an office and asked if they had any jobs and as she had done shorthand and typing they offered her a job. They asked when she could start and she said 'Now!' as if she went home and told her parents that she'd already started then they wouldn't say she couldn't go!
She was married and had 3 children using only gas and air.
She is now 4 months away from being 97 and still lives in her own bungalow. She has private carers from 8am-9am & 4pm-5pm every day.
She always told us to have every vaccination that was available to us as she knew so many of her contemporaries who died from what were then killer diseases.
I'm really pleased that we have the choice of taking up vaccinations against covid and other viruses like flu and also against other diseases.

Thorntrees Sat 02-Jul-22 14:40:10

Not being either a scientist or medically trained I don’t feel qualified to comment on the efficacy of vaccines. All I do know is that being CEV and having had 5 vaccinations I am just grateful for any protection they might give. The last two years have been miserable and isolating and we haven’t seen our youngest daughter in Canada in all that time. Going into the autumn it doesn’t look like things are going to improve for those of us who are vulnerable. We wear our masks when out and about and our oldest daughter and family test and mask when they do visit to try to protect me. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on vaccines and masking and I suppose only time will give us the answers to if these measures work- til then we can only do what we can to keep safe.

Marydoll Sat 02-Jul-22 14:27:05

I am gobsmacked at some of the nonsense being posted on here.
No-one here has come up with any scientific evidence to prove that masks and Covid vaccines are useless. It's all opinions, not hard facts. Dangerous stuff for those naive enough to believe it.
I am happy to read any evidence you have found, if you can find it.

M0nica Sat 02-Jul-22 14:16:05

We also know that vaccines are mostly ineffective to prevent you catching covid or spreading it.

We know no such thing.

sazz1 Sat 02-Jul-22 13:51:48

This is a good debate. Two trains of thought are
The vaccine protects you from serious illness or death
The virus is waning and less likely to cause serious illness or death
Added to this we now know of several treatments for the covid viruses so that might be helping those in hospital
We also know that vaccines are mostly ineffective to prevent you catching covid or spreading it.
Proof of this is the fact that number of people infected didn't dramatically reduce after people had 2 or 3 or 4 vaccines.
I'm on the fence. Had 3 vaccines, stayed away from crowds and still do, never caught covid. Also been in a room with 2 infected people for an hour and a half. They tested positive next day thought it was a chest infection and bad cold
Still never caught it.
I'm not having another vaccine due to horrific side effects from first 2 AZ, including blackouts falls kidney pain severe urine problems uncontrolled shaking episodes high temperatures.
All resolved in a week so had the third a Pfizer, but not chancing it again.

Marydoll Sat 02-Jul-22 13:47:50

Deaths in young people after receiving vaccinations.
www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/causesofdeath/articles/covid19vaccinationandmortalityinyoungpeopleduringthecoronaviruspandemic/2022-03-22

Source: National Office for Statistics.

There is currently no evidence of a change in the number of cardiac-related deaths or death occurring from any cause after a coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccination in young people aged 12 to 29 years in England.

growstuff Sat 02-Jul-22 13:40:05

Exactly how many fit young men have dropped dead from heart problems caused by being vaccinated?

Usernametaken Sat 02-Jul-22 13:38:04

Both my Husband and myself have both had all the vaccines, DH also the over 75 vaccine.
We have both had covid twice, second time not so bad, just like a cold tbh.
Couple of our friends haven’t had any vaccines and never caught Covid.
They are all anti vax.
From the amount of young fit men who have dropped dead from heart problems, I’m beginning to think maybe we shouldn’t have had the jabs.
And it’s strange that the people now getting really ill are the vaxxed.

Mollygo Sat 02-Jul-22 13:29:56

If Covid jabs were totally useless for everyone, would Covid numbers have started dropping once they were introduced?
Even if their effect is only psychosomatic- if you believe it works, then it will work, vaccines have still saved lives.
3 vaccines, teaching throughout pandemic, no Covid. Switzerland - caught Covid, but it was very mild.

welbeck Sat 02-Jul-22 13:23:11

driving in germany with a benedictine monk, he pointed out a sign to Neander, proudly stating that is where why the first neanderthal man was named.

LovelyLady Sat 02-Jul-22 13:22:39

Hello Honeysuckleberries,
Your daughter is alive. Please be thankful.

icanhandthemback Sat 02-Jul-22 13:02:39

I read somewhere (can't remember where so can't quote) that the people who were seriously stricken from Covid tended to be descended from Neanderthals rather than Homo sapiens which could explain some differences. If I remember rightly, there seemed to similar differences in efficacy too with the vaccinations. I'm not sure how that would fit with your daughter (as she is your genetic offspring) but maybe there is something in her DNA which affects her in a different way to you.

Milest0ne Sat 02-Jul-22 12:53:51

I know of only 2 people who had covid in 2020/21 but several since January this year. Including myself, it has all manifested itself after returning from holiday either in UK or abroad.

Bluecat Sat 02-Jul-22 12:35:31

My husband and I had Covid at Easter. Comparatively mild, although bad enough for his blood oxygen level to drop and require a trip to the emergency doctor for steroids. I was profoundly glad that we caught it post-vaccination and not before. I have a heart condition and he has uncontrolled asthma. I don't know if we would have been okay if we had caught the virus before the vaccine, but I wouldn't bet on it.

PamQS Sat 02-Jul-22 12:29:34

My husband is a statistician, he’s been following the Covid numbers and knows a few people who are working on it. He says the vaccinations lower your risk of complications if/when you get Covid. We’ve both had 3 vaccinations and caught it after that.

Audi10 Sat 02-Jul-22 12:28:08

Well I’m extremely vulnerable can’t have the vaccs so had nothing! One family member had it who I looked after masked up and I’ve never caught anything ! Make of that as you will! I mask up, eat healthily non smoker drinker, I don’t understand it at all,