Gransnet forums

Chat

"What I would say to everybody is if you don't need to use a wet wipe, don't, but also don't chuck them down the loo."

(32 Posts)
FarNorth Thu 30-Jun-22 18:39:51

Many still aren't listening Bea65 which is why we have Wet Wipe Island in the Thames (as well as numerous pipe blockages, of course).

Bea65 Thu 30-Jun-22 18:00:36

Believe we have said this over and over..

Redhead56 Thu 30-Jun-22 17:58:45

I keep them when grandchildren visit but they get put in the bin.

welbeck Thu 30-Jun-22 17:19:06

nothing should be put into the toilet except human waste and a moderate amount of toilet paper.
even toilet paper varies greatly. quilted should be avoided and more than 2-ply.
you can do simple experiments with different ones, to see how well they disintegrate. some remain like wet rags, very risky for drains.
likewise the kitchen sink, some people pour oil from fish tins etc. all wrong. and allow food debris to go down.

MiniMoon Thu 30-Jun-22 17:17:29

The only wet wipes I ever buy are the pocket packs to keep in my handbag.
I never buy them to use at home. I prefer a washable microfiber cloth and Cif or something like it.

Wheniwasyourage Thu 30-Jun-22 16:51:46

Agreed. There are times when they are a great help, for example when mobility is limited. However, it isn't difficult to get them into the bin, wrapped as necessary.

FarNorth Thu 30-Jun-22 16:49:45

Wet wipes have caused an island in the Thames.
Please don't flush them.

news.sky.com/story/island-of-wet-wipes-has-changed-the-course-of-the-thames-as-government-considers-ban-12639847