Gransnet forums

Chat

Fuel protest this coming Monday

(24 Posts)
Dickens Tue 05-Jul-22 09:13:35

Katie59

We are not going to see a national strike on the scale of 100years ago, despite the reluctance of the government to pay more wages and benefits they are going to have to rise. Alongside that we are all going to need to tighten our belts, travel less, spend less, eat less, we are a long way from crisis level, we can survive that.

Alongside that we are all going to need to tighten our belts, travel less, spend less, eat less, we are a long way from crisis level, we can survive that.

Yes, we're all in this together... except that we're not.

While you fastidiously and responsibly tighten your belt, many of the privileged (and I mean seriously privileged, not high-income earners) will be doing nothing of the sort. And of course there are those who through necessity have already tightened their belts and have no other options than to travel, spend and eat less.

And you're right, there will be no national strike, the dynamics have changed from 100 years ago. We are now a very individualistic society for starters.

We need a government that is focused solely on what is best for the nation as a whole. What we have is one that is driven largely by its desire to stay in power (Johnson, allegedly, wants to remain at the helm until 2030); one that spends an inordinate amount of time extricating itself from accusations of lies, sleaze and corruption, and one that is hell-bent on maintaining its majority by drumming up support for a trade-war with Europe.

Do we even have a government-in-waiting, or a coalition, that would / could focus on the needs and best interests of the nation?

Katie59 Tue 05-Jul-22 07:05:01

We are not going to see a national strike on the scale of 100years ago, despite the reluctance of the government to pay more wages and benefits they are going to have to rise. Alongside that we are all going to need to tighten our belts, travel less, spend less, eat less, we are a long way from crisis level, we can survive that.

Dickens Mon 04-Jul-22 21:16:20

I think 'protest' in principle is a good thing, in fact I believe the right to protest is essential.

But to be effective, it needs to impact heavily on those responsible for whatever the grievance is. Fuel prices are rocketing around the globe, but governments have at their disposal means and ways of alleviating the burden - which some countries are doing.

Will Johnson, and other MPs etc be effected by this blockade? Not much, I suspect. In fact, it could work in their favour... wait for the tabloid headlines associating the fuel protests with the loony left. In the light of which the protests will not be taken seriously and their only effect will be to inconvenience an already battered public trying to go about its day - or on a more personal level, prevent people from attending important hospital appointments, etc.

The only effective protest would be a national strike with everyone (apart from emergency workers) taking part... a united public telling the government that 'you must do something'.

But that is not going to happen - ever. We are a very unequal and very divided nation. And that is very much to the government's advantage - to the point it will stoke the divisions in order to continue to rule. That's how it works.

I don't know what the answer is, but I think we need to be more sophisticated and more clever about protesting. in this modern age. We need to make sure the impact is felt by them This motorway blockade will be a minor embarrassment to the government, little else. There will be lost revenue, of course, but that burden will be borne by those least able to afford it.

And because we are such a divided nation, I cannot see us ever uniting for the 'greater good' of us all. There is no cohesion, we are all involved in our own lives, fighting the battle of the increased cost of living in our own individual way.

I doubt anyone will agree with me, but that's how I see things. United we stand, divided we fall, and we are, so we will.

Callistemon21 Mon 04-Jul-22 20:27:15

snowberryZ

That's just brilliant.
Am driving a relative for chemo treatment on Monday and we were going on the M5 (it's north of Bristol)
I hope it doesn't affect us.
These selfish effing protestors don't think of things like this.

It was reported that they will leave the outside lane free.

However, from what I've seen on the news they didn't do this and in some places there are only two lanes on motorways anyway.

I hope they don't disrupt your journey.

Katie59 Mon 04-Jul-22 20:02:19

Not just motorways I was lucky today the protest stretched back about 5 miles - in the opposite direction. I just don’t see the point, yes fuel is too expensive, due to us not using Russian oil.
It’s the price we all have to pay for supporting Ukraine and if we want to continue punishing Russia it’s not going to change anytime soon. Wages and benefits are going to have to increase to fill the gap

HurdyGurdy Sat 02-Jul-22 16:49:08

From viewing posts/videos on social media, it seems there are going to be pockets of planned road disruptions all over the country, but none of them seem co-ordinated with other planned road disruptions.

There also appears to be a call for a women's strike on/around 4th July (i.e. women doing none of their usual duties, be those domestic or in employment) in protest at the Wade v. Roe ruling being overturned.

Joseanne Sat 02-Jul-22 16:17:19

It's selfish, and won't change a thing.

snowberryZ Sat 02-Jul-22 16:10:22

Rameses

Let's not support protest then. Let's sit back and let the powers that be, supported by big business, walk over the plebs.

Can't endure any inconvenience, can we, eh??

I'll tell my relative he shouldn't mind missing his potentially life saving treatment on Monday, after all, it's only 'putting up with a bit of inconvenience 'angry

snowberryZ Sat 02-Jul-22 16:07:44

That's just brilliant.
Am driving a relative for chemo treatment on Monday and we were going on the M5 (it's north of Bristol)
I hope it doesn't affect us.
These selfish effing protestors don't think of things like this.

Katie59 Sat 02-Jul-22 15:53:05

Not”left wing” loonies just loonies, whatever chaos they cause it’s not going to make any difference, we are all going to carry on as normal when we can. Fuel prices have increased by at least 50% this year, has that reduced traffic - not one jot.

Rameses Sat 02-Jul-22 15:52:40

Sussexborn

Rameses

Let's not support protest then. Let's sit back and let the powers that be, supported by big business, walk over the plebs.

Yes Rameses! Let’s just let people die because people can’t accept that a Tory govt was elected by the majority.

We are on holiday in Madeira and the fuel is the same price as in the uk. It’s a worldwide phenomenon but why let facts stand in the way of a load of left wing loonies who have no respect for others.

I have lived with heart problems for 21 years. I know what the inside of an ambulance looks like andI know what heart surgery is like (my 18 month old grandson has just been released from hospital today after his third bout of open heart surgery. Ambulances will use the hard shoulder on motorway, as will the police.

To suggest that I am a 'left wing loonie' is typical of the retort that comes time and time again from the hard of thinking, especially those that believe that this government was elected by the majority. 52% of those that voted voted for other parties (Tories 44%) and 32.7% didn't even bother to cast their vote at all.

Far from being a left wing loonie, I actually believe that our voting system is archaic. Medieval. And it is perpertuated by two parties that cannot bear the concept of not having total control. It is totally unrepresentative and damaging to our country.

Maybe, if people protested at the way the 'government' is covertly selling of the NHS to private healthcare companies (Spire Healthcare and Ramsay Healthcare to name but two),some folk would realise the value of protest. Or not.

Mapleleaf Sat 02-Jul-22 13:52:42

I can understand why people want to protest at the astronomical price of fuel, but has this protest really been thought through properly? As some posters say, there will be people in dire need of an ambulance, or requiring specific treatment at hospital and the only way they can get there is by road. There could be a serious accident/incident requiring the need of the fire service/police/ambulance (heaven forbid). It’s not just a minor inconvenience, potentially it could have serious consequences.

Witzend Sat 02-Jul-22 13:35:52

25Avalon

The protestors are blocking the POW bridge across the Severn. Only one lane of the M4 will be open each way thus causing traffic chaos and gridlock on the M32, M5, M4 and side roads. A&S Police will be doing nothing as usual apart from making sure they protect the protestors. People have had hospital appointments including heart scans, cancelled in Bristol as a consequence.

Thanks for that - maybe I’ll be OK then, but the roads are bound to be more congested - or even more than usual in the case of the M25 - so I’ll allow a lot more time than usual.

I’d re schedule, but I’m supposed to be attending Gdcs’ ‘hip hop’ performance after picking them up from school at 3.

flump Sat 02-Jul-22 13:31:38

The Tories got more seats but that does not mean that the majority voted for them. I think that, overall, more people voted against them than for them. FPTP skews results!

BlueBalou Sat 02-Jul-22 13:26:19

Rameses

Seriously? I’m supposed to be taking my very sick neighbour to a Bristol hospital for urgent treatment on Monday. Thanks to this selfish and indiscriminate behaviour there are likely to be serious repercussions for her.
Hardly ‘inconvenience’, more like life threatening if she doesn’t get to the appointment.

Sussexborn Sat 02-Jul-22 13:19:04

Rameses

Yes Rameses! Let’s just let people die because people can’t accept that a Tory govt was elected by the majority.

We are on holiday in Madeira and the fuel is the same price as in the uk. It’s a worldwide phenomenon but why let facts stand in the way of a load of left wing loonies who have no respect for others.

Namsnanny Sat 02-Jul-22 13:04:56

Silly comment Rameses there will be people who need the help of the emergency services. (Possibly you?)
No doubt there will be people who need ES because of the protests, as well.

Rameses Sat 02-Jul-22 12:36:12

25Avalon Sat 02-Jul-22 12:20:46

The protestors are blocking the POW bridge across the Severn. Only one lane of the M4 will be open each way thus causing traffic chaos and gridlock on the M32, M5, M4 and side roads. A&S Police will be doing nothing as usual apart from making sure they protect the protestors. People have had hospital appointments including heart scans, cancelled in Bristol as a consequence.

Gillycats Sat 02-Jul-22 11:14:54

Thank you for the heads up. I’m involved with some animal rescue groups that transport animals so they need to know this.

Witzend Sat 02-Jul-22 11:13:06

Oh, Lord, I was planning on a trip to a dd, using M3, M25, and M40!
Buggeration!

Beautful Fri 01-Jul-22 19:21:22

Just googled it ....thank you

Beautful Fri 01-Jul-22 19:16:57

Thanks for info ... is it all Motorways do you know please ?

infoman Fri 01-Jul-22 18:07:10

across the Motorway and road network this coming Monday in connection with the high fuel prices.
Suggest keep off the Motorways if you can.