Gransnet forums

Chat

Sick people in shops

(135 Posts)
nanna8 Sat 02-Jul-22 06:11:34

We just went to one of our local shopping centres and in the supermarket there was a man with no mask who was coughing everywhere and looking pretty sick. I grabbed my husband’s arm and we left very quickly but I was left wondering how selfish some people are, no thought for others. No excuse, there is a delivery service available at very little cost. O wonder diseases spread.

Marydoll Sun 03-Jul-22 08:46:53

However, if I was receiving a home visit, by an NHS worker, I would be requesting that they wear a mask in my home, especially if they have been visiting other patients before me.
I cannot fathom out, why masks aren't worn, when dealing with vulnerable people.
I am severely immunocompromised and I expect to be able to trust those people, who are treating me.

growstuff Sun 03-Jul-22 08:42:07

What a load of rubbish!

The onus should not be on patients to request that they be kept safe in a clinical setting.

Believe me, I'm very much focussed on my own health, which is why it concerns me so much that anybody working in an NHS setting should be so irresponsible and "be loving" the "freedom" of not having to wear a mask and gaslighting anybody who disagrees with you.

Marydoll Sun 03-Jul-22 08:39:28

LOUISA, that must have been so difficult for you. I hope you are making good progress.

A new neighbour phoned the police to say that I had strangers in my home during Lockdown. It was actually my DD, who was my designated carer and was delivering my medication.
The policemen were horrified, when they found out how ill I was.
We never really know, what is going on in other's lives.

LOUISA1523 Sun 03-Jul-22 08:33:03

GROWSTUFF
So many assumptions on this thread
So many people going in for the kill ?...
FYI I was having 10 months of cancer treatment myself at the time....including 5.5 months of chemo...my DD was my carer .... you need to concentrate on yourself and your own health.....all this negativity towards people you know nothing about is very unhealthy

growstuff Sun 03-Jul-22 08:30:38

Although mask wearing is no longer compulsory at the hospital I attend, patients have been informed that all staff will wear one if requested by the patient. So far, I've noticed that some receptionists behind screens aren't wearing them, but all clinical staff are continuing to wear them and most of the patients do too.

Marydoll Sun 03-Jul-22 08:25:29

growstuff

*I'm NHS in the community and in our trust we don't wear masks anymore in clinics or when home visiting....we don't have to limit how many people are in a room....we don't have to distance from people.....and we are loving it*

In that case, I'm grateful I'm not one of your trust's patients. I currently have cancer and have had numerous hospital appointments over the last few weeks. Thankfully, the trust where I'm being treated is somewhat more responsible. Mask-wearing isn't compulsory in the hospital, but most people are continuing to wear them. I certainly wouldn't allow any member of staff without one to examine me.

growstuff, I'm with you on this. I'm quite shocked at reading about your trust, Louisa.
I have had experience of both hospital and GP visits in the last few weeks and every single member of staff was masked.

I was considered so vulnerable during lockdown that the district nurse wasn't allowed in to do my bloods and instead of having monthly infusions in hospital, I had to inject myself weekly with biologics.

LOUISA1523 Sun 03-Jul-22 08:24:52

Mask

LOUISA1523 Sun 03-Jul-22 08:24:43

growstuff

*I'm NHS in the community and in our trust we don't wear masks anymore in clinics or when home visiting....we don't have to limit how many people are in a room....we don't have to distance from people.....and we are loving it*

In that case, I'm grateful I'm not one of your trust's patients. I currently have cancer and have had numerous hospital appointments over the last few weeks. Thankfully, the trust where I'm being treated is somewhat more responsible. Mask-wearing isn't compulsory in the hospital, but most people are continuing to wear them. I certainly wouldn't allow any member of staff without one to examine me.

And I'm sure any health professional would respect that....I wouldn't have any problem wearing aadk if asked

growstuff Sun 03-Jul-22 08:22:53

LOUISA1523

maddyone

….I saw her almost every day, and my GD, thru Covid….."

I hope you only saw her from a large distance, and not in the house or garden, or even the street or park, because you were breaking the law if not. Households were not allowed to mix, indoors or outdoors. Mixing was illegal, even for a walk. Mixing was totally against the law through Covid.

OMG are you for real???? Who are you to tell me whats illegal and whats not ???? I saw her indoors everyday ...not thats it any of your business ?

Of course she's for real. It's everybody's business if you broke the law, which it sounds as though you did.

growstuff Sun 03-Jul-22 08:20:12

LOUISA1523

nanna8

It was illegal to travel more than 5 kms from home. It was illegal to meet people outside your immediate family. It was illegal to be outside after dark. Just uncomfortable facts where I live. Helicopters would check that the roads were clear at night and fines were dished out all the time. Stalag Melbourne.

Sounds harsh....it wasn't that bad in the UK....and there were several exceptions to this which made it legal for people to be in your home

And some idiots broke the rules anyway and made any number of pathetic excuses to claim they were exceptions to the rule.

growstuff Sun 03-Jul-22 08:19:03

I'm NHS in the community and in our trust we don't wear masks anymore in clinics or when home visiting....we don't have to limit how many people are in a room....we don't have to distance from people.....and we are loving it

LOUISA1523 Sun 03-Jul-22 08:13:42

nanna8

It was illegal to travel more than 5 kms from home. It was illegal to meet people outside your immediate family. It was illegal to be outside after dark. Just uncomfortable facts where I live. Helicopters would check that the roads were clear at night and fines were dished out all the time. Stalag Melbourne.

Sounds harsh....it wasn't that bad in the UK....and there were several exceptions to this which made it legal for people to be in your home

Sapphire24 Sun 03-Jul-22 07:27:18

Ginny your cough sounds just like the cough I had. Have you been tested for allergies? After years of being fobbed off, one doctor suggested I take hayfever tabs with cetirizine in it. Within a week the cough stopped, and I now take one a day. Xx

nanna8 Sun 03-Jul-22 06:17:08

LOUISA1523 Sun 03-Jul-22 00:36:15

maddyone

^….I saw her almost every day, and my GD, thru Covid….."^

I hope you only saw her from a large distance, and not in the house or garden, or even the street or park, because you were breaking the law if not. Households were not allowed to mix, indoors or outdoors. Mixing was illegal, even for a walk. Mixing was totally against the law through Covid.

OMG are you for real???? Who are you to tell me whats illegal and whats not ???? I saw her indoors everyday ...not thats it any of your business ?

maddyone Sun 03-Jul-22 00:17:41

….I saw her almost every day, and my GD, thru Covid….."

MissAdventure Sat 02-Jul-22 23:44:22

I don't know what the answer is, but really, that is awful isn't it?
People stay home and order online, possibly because they are vulnerable, and the company puts them at risk.

Deedaa Sat 02-Jul-22 23:39:26

My son does deliveries for a supermarket and the majority of his customers are elderly. He has been off work for two weeks because he and his son have had Covid. He is still testing positive and now has a bad cough but his employer is insisting he goes back to work on Monday. His manager's comment is that he would go into work if he had flu! Wrong on so many levels!

Megs36 Sat 02-Jul-22 23:31:13

PS I was under the impression that wearing a mask is to protect othe people of catching something you may have and not actually giving you personally protection from others , I’m confused……

Munchy25 Sat 02-Jul-22 22:59:07

My husband has lung cancer and regularly has to cough, he cannot wear a mask as it makes him even worse, but he has made a conscious decision to continue with a normal life and not spending his precious time shut away indoors. Please try not to judge people too quickly.

Megs36 Sat 02-Jul-22 22:46:41

My husband too has a permanent cough following treatment for lung cancer , and looks quite ill some of the time., tries to wear a mask although really exempt, we rarely go shopping and have most things delivered, this is not at a ‘reasonable’ cost and whacks up all prices.He also has a Blue Badge for the odd times we use the car!!

pinkprincess Sat 02-Jul-22 22:44:27

I have a chronic lung condition which during flare ups causes the most terrible coughing fits.Sometimes a mask makes it worse.
The only good thing about this condition is it is not contagious.

LOUISA1523 Sat 02-Jul-22 22:37:44

growstuff

Baggs Life can't go "back to normal" while Covid is around. It won't be the same as it was before. Sure, people can go out, businesses can operate, etc, but there need to be mitigations. The NHS needs to budget for Covid and the benefits system needs to adjust to Long Covid and more generous sick pay. At the moment, it seems as though the government and its supporters are turning a blind eye to reality and pretending there aren't any issues.

Personally, I will wear a mask for as long as I want and I don't really care how people look at me. Maybe I'm being over-cautious, but I don't understand why it's anybody else's business or how it affects them. People on buses and shops, etc can do what they want and I shall continue to give them a wide berth because I haven't a clue who they are or whether they're infected. Why do people think they have the right to come on a site like GN and criticise people for doing what they think is sensible and thoughtful?

But covid will be around forever?‍♀️.....and IMO it really is time to get back to normal ( for those that want to) .....I'm NHS in the community and in our trust we don't wear masks anymore in clinics or when home visiting....we don't have to limit how many people are in a room....we don't have to distance from people.....and we are loving it ....but ts also fine to continue wearing masks if that's your choice....I certainly wouldn't criticise you...infact I wouldn't give you a second glance...im too busy getting on with my own life....but i have no wish to join you in your mask wearing .

Marydoll Sat 02-Jul-22 22:07:37

Far too much collateral damage has been done to far too many people.

Baggs, that I would agree with that. A doctor said something similar to me in hospital, a few weeks ago.
He was specifically talking about those, who were advised to sheild. However, he had no alternative to offer.

Pax!

growstuff Sat 02-Jul-22 21:51:40

Dying and long-term illness aren't theatre!