Gransnet forums

Chat

Light bulb moment

(99 Posts)
Franbern Sun 03-Jul-22 08:30:03

Watching the news and seeing the mess we seem to be in. Long lorry queues to cross the channel, shortage of several items in shops, high fuel prices, queues at airports due to shortage of baggage handlers, people complaining how long they have to wait to get qualified work people to carry out work, etc etc. ...

Well, I have had a brilliant idea.......!!!

Accepting we are such a small Island, why don't we join together with a large block of countries close to us (maybe Europe), and have a training block which will be large enough to rea lly negotiate good prices for all goods. This block could also permit free movement of all its citizens, so people in all professions and hobs could come over the England to live and work, as well as allowing people on this Island to go to all the many countries in Europe without having to queue at passport controls.

We could even have some sort of Parliament for all the countries involved in this, to which we all elect representative!!

I am getting old, and perhaps my memory is not that good, but this does all seem to ring a bell in my mind.

M0nica Sat 09-Jul-22 20:02:59

Sorry effalump, you are very badly informed. I cannot think of a single Europhile who wants to live anywhere but in their home country.

One of the remarkable features of our country has aways been its tolerance for a wide variety of views on a range of subjects, religious. political educational, medical, football teams et al. Most of us Europhiles are enjoying continuing to live in this country of tolerance and care.

We are even happy to smile on you and understand and tolerate your funny little ways.

effalump Sat 09-Jul-22 16:16:02

Can I come and wave off all you Europhiles at the Airports? The weather in the Med is lovely and warm for you whereas it's way too hot for me. I prefer Spring or Autum weather so I'm happy to stay here in the UK. We're used to crappy Leaders and Boris is on his way out. No doubt the others will be just as bad but the EU Leaders are exactly inspiring either.

M0nica Wed 06-Jul-22 08:06:00

The EU was always primarily a political grouping. A response to 2 World Wars in 30 years. The men behind it were Robert Schumann of France, Konrad Adenauer of Germany and Winston Churchill.

The purpose of the initial trade agreements were for the pooling of iron and steel manufacturing so that the ties between the different countries in producing this key product essential for war were such that going alone was almost impossible because of the trade agreements.

I read some research done by the London School of Economics after the referendum, analysing how older people voted. They found that the older people were, the more likely it was they would vote Remain and, among over 75s there was a clear majority for Remain.

The explanation for this was that people over 75 had been born during and before WW2 and they remembered the devastation of the war and the effect on this country. They belieived that the EU was a force for peace in Europe. In other words they fully understood the political aspect of the EU and approved of it

Maremia Tue 05-Jul-22 13:33:45

To my knowledge, so far, the 'once in a generation' thing was an off the cuff comment made by, possibly, Salmond on a TELEVISION programme. People who are happy to accept the lies spoken in PARLIAMENT, by the actual Prime Minister, should not expect a nation to be bound by such a casual remark.

Luckygirl3 Tue 05-Jul-22 08:48:12

Re-joining is not going to happen in our lifetimes. Even the opposition have made it clear that they will not seek to reverse the decision if they get into power. It makes sense. Even though it was a marginal decision in the referendum, it is unlikely that another might go the other way - the "agreement" that the government negotiated is so unpopular in so many circles that the rejoin vote is not certain at all.

I think Labour are right to be looking at re-negotiating areas of the agreement that have proved problematical. They are being pragmatic.

Whatever we might think about leaving the EU, it has happened and we need to find ways to try and make it more workable. I cannot see it being reversed.

It has not helped that we have a bunch of idiots running the country.

Petera Tue 05-Jul-22 08:41:30

puffernutter

Petera

HannahLoisLuke

puffernutter

The trouble is that in the EEC Referendum in the 1970s we did join a trading block (as my parents used to tell me when they were alive and voted for it).

What they didn't vote for was a European Parliament dictating how the UK should operate its laws.

What started off as a good idea, became much more than trade and far too intrusive!

My feelings too. And if Scitland wants “independence” why does it want to rejoin the EU?
A contradiction in terms surely.

Well for one thing, as the UK has shown, it would be free to leave the EU again while at the moment the UK won't even let the Scots express an opinion on whether they want to leave or not.

And more generally do you really not know anyone who is in a happy second marriage?

As I understood it the previous vote the Scots had was a "once in a generation" vote - looks like the Scots replicate quite quickly then!

Why don't you address your original comments then we can get on to the 'once in a generation' thing?

Maremia Tue 05-Jul-22 08:15:09

So let's just lower our standard for ourselves, because that is what's happening with our decline in trade. Fruit rotting in fields, farmers, fishermen unhappy.
puffernutter, you would make a fortune if you could find the piece of legislative paper on which 'once in a lifetime' is written and signed.

Merryweather Tue 05-Jul-22 08:07:36

Except some countries were treated better than others. Fine if everyone pays the same. Not fair if this little island is paying for most of it and lowering our standards because other countries can’t level up to ours.

humptydumpty Mon 04-Jul-22 22:33:32

I would love to move to Europe but it's no longer easy unlike before the referendum.

Juliet27 Mon 04-Jul-22 21:36:41

I’m with you with those sentiments RP

RichmondPark Mon 04-Jul-22 21:33:31

I stay here because I love the country of my birth, where my family are and have been for generations. I stay because I hope that all the division, corruption and economic problems are temporary and that the nightmare caused by Brexit and this dishonourable and incompetent government will be resolved at the next general election and we can go back to a peaceful, steady way of life where integrity, kindness and the common good reign.

Northernlass Mon 04-Jul-22 20:52:50

furzacre579 I think you’ll find it’s a little more complicated than that…

Largely owing to the actions of those who voted Leave, who didn’t REALLY understand the consequences of that vote, we’re experiencing the largest and fastest brain-drain in recent history. Sadly I speak from first hand experience.

silverlining48 Mon 04-Jul-22 20:42:06

We stay here because we are old; it’s not easy starting anew in a foreign country however welcoming and takes courage and drive. There’s learning a new language fir a start, My daughter has lived in the EU for over 15 years is very happy and has no plans to return.
Personally I wanted to remain part of Europe and havnt yet seen or heard anything to persuade me that ‘getting Brexit done’ has benefited us in any way, it’s a mess and fear it will be for some years to come.

varian Mon 04-Jul-22 19:55:17

We stay here because we are too old to start again but half of our family have now moved to an EU country.

furzeacre579 Mon 04-Jul-22 19:37:29

Why do you all stay here then - i cant understand why you dont all move over to europe... WHY do you stay in the UK then please explain, I really cannot understand why you dont all move over there..
'

LJP1 Mon 04-Jul-22 19:23:09

Great- more srength to your arm. We'll follow your lead!

chatterbox2 Mon 04-Jul-22 19:05:39

Couldn't agree more

Beanie654321 Mon 04-Jul-22 18:54:34

I very much doubt they would have us back. We should NEVER have left.

semperfidelis Mon 04-Jul-22 18:50:52

Well said!

Buntymart Mon 04-Jul-22 18:36:00

puffernutter

The trouble is that in the EEC Referendum in the 1970s we did join a trading block (as my parents used to tell me when they were alive and voted for it).

What they didn't vote for was a European Parliament dictating how the UK should operate its laws.

What started off as a good idea, became much more than trade and far too intrusive!

Absolutely agree with you!
My son lives in Holland and he says things are dreadful over there and far worse than in the UK. There are shortages and petrol has spiralled in price!

varian Mon 04-Jul-22 18:16:25

It is sad GG but you may well be right. I hope I live long enough to see the UK restored EU membership and to the respect we once took for granted as a nation whose word could be trusted.

GrammarGrandma Mon 04-Jul-22 18:13:10

We will rejoin the EU. I'm afraid it will not be in my lifetime.

puffernutter Mon 04-Jul-22 18:09:58

Petera

HannahLoisLuke

puffernutter

My feelings too. And if Scitland wants “independence” why does it want to rejoin the EU?

Well for one thing, as the UK has shown, it would be free to leave the EU again while at the moment the UK won't even let the Scots express an opinion on whether they want to leave or not.

And more generally do you really not know anyone who is in a happy second marriage?

As I understood it the previous vote the Scots had was a "once in a generation" vote - looks like the Scots replicate quite quickly then!

garnet25 Mon 04-Jul-22 17:49:27

Franbern, Please write to the powers that be with your wonderful idea and tell them that loads of us think it would work.

Petera Mon 04-Jul-22 17:20:45

HannahLoisLuke

puffernutter