Gransnet forums

Chat

Blast from the past.

(170 Posts)
Grannyben Mon 04-Jul-22 20:00:37

Today I saw Nellie, Olive, Ada and Elsie sitting around the table chatting. You might think I was visiting my local care home but no, it was open afternoon at my grandsons nursery school and these beautiful young ladies were all aged 4. Who would have thought such old names would have been so popular again

GrannySomerset Fri 08-Jul-22 01:13:00

Thought I would never hear of a young Ethel, my dear late MiL’s name. Her sister was Hilda, another name which has yet to be revived. The youngest member of our family is Ada, equally old fashioned to my ears but as has been noted, names seem to go in cycles.

I have a very unusual name (never met another) and complained bitterly about always being asked how to spell it. If you’d been named Anne you would still have been asked was my mother’s less than sympathetic response.

NannaE Fri 08-Jul-22 00:44:55

My 7 yearold granddaughter is called Ethel.

Callistemon21 Thu 07-Jul-22 22:06:01

We've all heard of Floella, of course - Baroness Benjamin

Yammy Thu 07-Jul-22 21:43:20

Callistemon21

Yammy isn't one of Jamie Oliver's children called Buddy?

I think Buddy Holly's real name was Charles ?

Yes I think your right Jamie Oliver has a Buddy. The teacher who had these children used to tell such funny tales and they actually changed the a is for apple to a is for Appleby in Cumbria even though it was a couple of hundred miles away.
the oldest name I ever came across was Cindy Racquel ......
and I have had a Fluella.

Peaseblossom Thu 07-Jul-22 20:26:28

Grannyben I think most of the born again names are awful, including the ones you listed. So many of the same names used for children, so will be difficult in class with loads of repeats. For instance, Alfie, Archie, Arthur, Milly, Molly, Mabel, Stanley, Henry. There were 6 Susans in my class. Someone said it was because a film star called Susan Hayward was popular at the time, in the early 50s.

missingmarietta Thu 07-Jul-22 14:22:53

My in laws threw their hands up in horror when we gave our first son the middle name of Joseph. I love most of the names in the bible [apart from Peter, personal reasons].

I still love Joseph as it seems timeless to me, and my son actually gave it to his second son as a middle name too.

I just hope names like Cecil, Cyril, Malcom, Nigel, Percy, don't come back.

The prettiest girls name for me is Giovanna.

Caleo Thu 07-Jul-22 11:04:29

Corona would be pretty but for the connotation.

Vintagejazz Thu 07-Jul-22 08:43:37

I met two babies separately last week. One was called Freda and the other was called Joanie. Definitely a blast from the past.

Grammaretto Thu 07-Jul-22 08:31:15

I see your user name is classically inspired Juno! But I think there have always been parents who wanted to be "out there"
I remember looking round for a nursery school for DD and chuckling at the name tags in the cloakroom. There was a Bracken and a Gorse and others I couldn't read. probably Gaelic

Callistemon21 Wed 06-Jul-22 15:55:57

Marilyn has lasted well perhaps partly as it has a pretty sound
The only Marilyns I know are in their seventies

nanna8 Wed 06-Jul-22 14:34:56

Our kittens are Freja and Astrid and if I’d managed to pop out another couple of girls that is what I would have called them. Six kids was a bit much,

Juno56 Wed 06-Jul-22 14:27:19

One of my granddaughter's friends at nursery is Calliope (Clappy to DGD ?) as in one of the Muses. A beautiful name I think and not one I have often heard. I also know a little Paris (male) and Hero (female). I wonder if we will start to see a trend for really ancient classically inspired names?

Keffie12 Wed 06-Jul-22 11:46:34

Calendargirl

Doris and Gladys still to make a comeback though.

And not heard of many named Phyllis or Winifred either.

Please put me right if you know any.

Doris is being used as in a nickname of Dotty. The same as Winifred: I heard of one little girl called Winnie.

There seems an emphasis on the IE ending or Y ending now

FannyCornforth Wed 06-Jul-22 08:48:19

Vintagejazz yes, it’s bound to happen I suppose.

My cousin’s child would have been Brian, had she been a he.

I used to teach a little six year old Brenda, which tickled me.
Her parents were from the Czech Republic

Vintagejazz Wed 06-Jul-22 08:39:32

I wonder, in a few years time, if there'll be lots of little Normans and Colins and Wendys and Gails running around playgrounds? People are bound to start getting tired of names like Alfie and Lilly soon and start looking around for something 'fresh' and 'different'.

GrammyGrammy Wed 06-Jul-22 08:08:48

jennyvg

My middle name is Violet, I have never liked it, I have not heard of any young Violets.

You could now choose to embrace it. It is a strong and explosive sounding name, a most lovely looking flower, a sweet scented scent and a fabulous colour. Start, if you want to, to embrace the colour and flower and meaning and embrace it....you might decide to love it.

Oldnproud Wed 06-Jul-22 07:14:39

Ali08

PinkPrincess,
Not many Alexandra's, though. I'm not kern on Lexie, but each to their own.

We have a four year old Alexandra in the family.
Her friends have names such as Maisie, Daisy, Phoebe, Jessica, Lily and Mia. The boys I can think of are Elias, Ezra, George and Charlie.

On the odd occasion when we've discussed the old names coming back, every time I have commented that I haven't yet heard such and such a name - Norman or Ethel for instance - one of my DiLs has said that they know of a child with that name.

I have to say that I've got used to the old names on young heads now, and I like them. smile

Calendargirl Wed 06-Jul-22 07:13:06

Just a thought.

Many on this (very interesting) thread have given their own Christian names, plus names of grandchildren, siblings, parents, aunts etc.

Enough information to perhaps be identified by anyone looking out for this?

NanOf8Girls Wed 06-Jul-22 02:34:41

My GD is called Luna. Even Luna isn't a modern name for a girl. It goes back to the 19th century according to Ancestry.

LeighC Wed 06-Jul-22 01:27:47

My Granddaughters are called Eleanor Amelia and Abigail Estelle. Known as Ellie and Abbie. Estelle is because Ellie absolutely loves Stars! I absolutely love both my girls names.

Caleo Wed 06-Jul-22 01:18:42

Royal family names are usually a safe bet. Politicians' names less so, although the Churchill myth has caused Winston to endure through the years.

Marilyn has lasted well perhaps partly as it has a pretty sound. Grace is nice and the Princess of Monaco never blotted her copy book.

Caleo Wed 06-Jul-22 01:13:26

Adolf will never again be widely popular for baby boys.

Chestnut Tue 05-Jul-22 23:47:00

Wayne and Waynetta called their baby Spudulika which I think should make a comeback.

Grandma70s Tue 05-Jul-22 23:25:12

Claudiaclaws

Do people like the name Pamela? My sister's name.

Yes, I like it. I think it maybe due for a revival. I like the full name, rather than the diminutive, Pam.

Ali08 Tue 05-Jul-22 23:09:42

PinkPrincess,
Not many Alexandra's, though. I'm not kern on Lexie, but each to their own.