Gransnet forums

Chat

Blast from the past.

(169 Posts)
Grannyben Mon 04-Jul-22 20:00:37

Today I saw Nellie, Olive, Ada and Elsie sitting around the table chatting. You might think I was visiting my local care home but no, it was open afternoon at my grandsons nursery school and these beautiful young ladies were all aged 4. Who would have thought such old names would have been so popular again

ShazzaKanazza Mon 04-Jul-22 20:04:55

The old names are definately coming back. My DD almost called my DGD Olive.

Grannyben Mon 04-Jul-22 20:11:14

Its a very beautiful name

Maywalk Mon 04-Jul-22 20:15:20

I have had folks coming to me saying that they have named their baby girl Maisie because they wanted an old fashioned name.
As am 92 I feel its quite a compliment.

Grannyben Mon 04-Jul-22 20:21:33

I think there are quite a few little Maisie's about at the moment

Vintagejazz Mon 04-Jul-22 20:24:57

There were two girls aged about 12 sitting beside me in a cafe today having a good natter, their names were Edie and Lilly.

Little girl across the road is called Molly. She called over the other day with her best friend Gracie and her cousin Ivy.

I'm hoping names like Janet, Susan and Jane will make a comeback soon.

Redhead56 Mon 04-Jul-22 20:28:30

Those names are old fashioned but popular. However compared to some of the names often heard here they are very traditional.
Unlike Mercedes, Benz, Whitney and Britney not names I would pick. I like floral or pretty names for girls but we are all different.

Ilovecheese Mon 04-Jul-22 20:30:48

I think that Mercedes is actually an older name. The car was named after the girl, not the other way round.

Casdon Mon 04-Jul-22 20:36:30

Yes, Mercedes is a very old Spanish name, it’s something to do with Jesus’ mother Mary I think. I knew a Spanish girl called Mercedes when I was in school.
I think some of the older names are pretty, but not Ada - reminds me of Les Dawson!

snowberryZ Mon 04-Jul-22 20:41:01

When I hear Nellie I think of the horrible girl in Little House on the Prararie!
Also the saying Big Fat Nellie. which admitedly is horrible and hopefully wouldn't be said now.

Love the other names though.

Maywalk Mon 04-Jul-22 20:46:52

How about Amelia. Ellen. Florence. ?

Grannyben Mon 04-Jul-22 20:49:31

Well Amelia and Florence are very popular at the moment but I'm not aware of any Ellenst

Grannyben Mon 04-Jul-22 20:49:49

Ellen's

Aldom Mon 04-Jul-22 22:30:17

Grannyben

Well Amelia and Florence are very popular at the moment but I'm not aware of any Ellenst

Ellen is the middle name of one of my granddaughters. It was the name of her maternal great grandmother.

nanna8 Mon 04-Jul-22 23:50:15

I’ve got an Emily, Adam, Isla, Noah, Sophie, Toby, Jessica, Aaron, amongst my grandchildren. Grace is popular too and Lily. Not heard of any Ethel’s and Edna’s yet,though. I like the old names, not keen on some of the concocted new ones.

Grammaretto Tue 05-Jul-22 00:20:01

Isn't it funny how even when you think you are being original, it turns out several other parents had the same idea!
We named our DS1 after his gt gf and friends thought it very old fashioned. Now it is one of the most popular boys' names but when he was at school he was the only one.

FannyCornforth Tue 05-Jul-22 04:36:42

Ilovecheese

I think that Mercedes is actually an older name. The car was named after the girl, not the other way round.

Yes, Karl Benz named the car after his daughter Mercedes.
It’s a beautiful name, it’s a pity that it can’t really be used anymore.

Ali08 Tue 05-Jul-22 05:56:48

Ilovecheese

As with Porsche (pronounced Porsha) and probably a good few other things!

Ali08 Tue 05-Jul-22 05:59:37

SnowberryZ,

Nellie the elephant packed her trunk is what I think of!
But, I like these names coming back around again, as I'm sure all names repeat after a few years!

FannyCornforth Tue 05-Jul-22 06:04:29

Ali like Benz, Porsche is named after its founder, in this case Ferdinand Porsche.
It’s not connected to the girls’ name Portia.

Calendargirl Tue 05-Jul-22 06:21:22

Doris and Gladys still to make a comeback though.

And not heard of many named Phyllis or Winifred either.

Please put me right if you know any.

BigBertha1 Tue 05-Jul-22 06:51:01

My MIL was a Winifred and she hated her name as she always got called Fred which she thought unladylike. It's names from the Bible or classical literature hence my beautiful Helen Josephine.

Grannyben Tue 05-Jul-22 09:50:30

There are one or two Dottie and Winnie's in the school

timetogo2016 Tue 05-Jul-22 10:05:58

My grandaughter is named Mabelle.
It realy does suite her.
I love the old fashioned names,un-like some modern names ie; Sky/Lordes/Summer to name but a few.

Davida1968 Tue 05-Jul-22 10:13:22

I wouldn't want to call my daughter Nellie, Ada, Elsie, or Olive! This thread shows how we're all different, when it comes to choosing names!