Gransnet forums

Chat

Do people suit their names do you think? Do people choose pets that look like them ?

(52 Posts)
nanna8 Wed 06-Jul-22 14:41:30

I’m thinking of people who seem to choose dogs that fit with them when I mention pets. Can be quite amusing at times. Sometimes reflected in hair colour,too!
Thinking of the people I know, mostly their names seem to be part of their personalities in some way. Sounds silly but all the Jasons I have come across have been cheeky, smiley and opposed to authority. All the Annes have been friendly and reliable. Same with Peters.

biglouis Sun 10-Jul-22 00:09:39

Well I love reptiles and they tend to be scaly with beady black eyes so I hope I dont look like a snake or a tortoise.

Grandma70s Sat 09-Jul-22 11:36:06

Back to names. The nice thing about pets is that you can give them eccentric names if you want, without worrying about the effect on their future lives.

Naming people is much harder. I tried to give my children names that would stand out a bit, but not too much. Their middle names are more ordinary, the idea being that they could use those if they didn’t like their first names. Neither has chosen to do that. In the case of the elder boy, my husband’s first choice didn’t coincide with mine, so we had to whittle the list down a bit until we found a name we both liked. Luckily, we agreed on the choice for the second child.

My grandchildren have very nice first names, thank goodness. They each have two middle names with family connections. I was concerned before they born in case they were given names I couldn’t stand. I’m very influenced by names, and they can really affect how I think of a person, though obviously they shouldn’t.

MawtheMerrier Sat 09-Jul-22 11:17:15

Amandajs66

I have always had Greyhounds, I’m still hoping that I wake up one day and my legs are long, you can see my ribs and I can run super fast. The only thing I’ve got in common with my adorable greyhounds is that I have a large chest.

I too dream of “legs up to here” but when they said “Get a dog, it’ll get you out, it’ll keep you fit exercising” they didn’t reckon on 40mph couch potatoes. In that respect Rosie, and her 4 predecessors and I have much in common.

Shel69 Sat 09-Jul-22 11:08:15

Beautiful cats

Shel69 Sat 09-Jul-22 09:02:33

God I hope not,,,I have a french bulldog

oodles Fri 08-Jul-22 16:14:35

You'll recognise me by my bunny ears and powderpuff tail....

JaneJudge Fri 08-Jul-22 10:55:58

I LOVE THIS THREAD smile

My dog has very little patience with men grin

GraceQuirrel Fri 08-Jul-22 10:16:06

I wish I looked like my dog and was as young!

Susiewakie Fri 08-Jul-22 07:53:17

I used to have a golden cocker spaniel who matched my hair colour and was nuts ! We matched well .No pets now present DH hates pets in the house ( he did let DD have hamsters, birds etc when she lived at home ) I long for a greyhound to hope I would be slimmer etc

Thistlelass Fri 08-Jul-22 03:36:13

My Cavalier, Pippa, is a bit of a pudding. But then so am I post pandemic. We work away at the 'slimming'.

Glasgo Thu 07-Jul-22 22:05:46

Your dog is adorable. GSD’s are brilliant. Here is mine she is like me wild and carefree!

Aveline Thu 07-Jul-22 21:34:03

Hmmm I doubt I'm like our two Maine Coons mind you I am rather large with unkempt hair...

CanadianGran Thu 07-Jul-22 21:19:34

It's pretty rare to see greyhounds here in BC, but I do love them. As a teen a boyfriend's family were keen on getting an amateur racing club going, so I helped out a bit with the dogs.
No legal betting here, so only clubs for interest, but none nearby.

LucyW Thu 07-Jul-22 20:20:04

Amandajs66, what adorable greyhounds. I am a huge fan of the breed as My papa and Dad both had racing dogs. Dad was a big supporter of our local greyhound rehoming charity which I continue to support. I have had lurcher but sadly do not resemble them as I am a bit tubby. However, I do take after them in that I love my food and enjoy curling up for a good snooze.

HillyN Thu 07-Jul-22 20:10:00

I can't see any resemblance at all between myself and the budgie. I think it only works for dog owners!
My name means cheerful and I think that describes me much of the time.

kevincharley Thu 07-Jul-22 18:55:06

Hmmm...
I've had a labrador, a dachsund and 4 German shepherds. The only one I can relate to is the dachsund. (Ernie Wise legs - short, fat and hairy!)

Billybob4491 Thu 07-Jul-22 16:37:38

I use to work with a lady called Joy, she was the most miserable person I have ever come across, not sure whether she had any pets though.

Yammy Thu 07-Jul-22 16:22:24

I hope not we have had rats and hamsters mice and goldfish.

Grandma70s Thu 07-Jul-22 15:37:49

I’m not striped, but I’m sure I’m as elegant, graceful and supple as a cat - or possibly not. I may have been once upon a time.

I have always liked the choosiness and dignity of cats that don’t know you very well. I prefer that to the over-enthusiasm of many dogs. I feel like that about people, too.

coastalgran Thu 07-Jul-22 15:24:28

i have a black Schnauzer, but I don't have black hair or long shaggy eyebrows and a long beard like him. However, we do have a similar personality, we like people, are friendly and we definitely know who we don't like (he barks at them).

GrammaH Thu 07-Jul-22 15:16:51

I hope I don't look like my two beloved rescue cats - they are black and white and quite adorable but I can't think if any similarities at all!

Mamma7 Thu 07-Jul-22 14:59:03

No I don’t suit my name, I should have changed it years ago.
Yes my dog looks like me but I didn’t consciously choose him to look like me.
Ps he is gorgeous hahaha

nanna8 Thu 07-Jul-22 14:57:46

I love looking at the pics of everyone’s pets- what lovely dogs and cats they are. Pink rinse you gave me a laugh, beautiful dog and beautiful owner !

nipsmum Thu 07-Jul-22 13:53:31

Over my lifetime I've had 6 dogs. The first one I was 13 and she was white., Trixie was black,Candy was black and white, Nip was Liver and white, Tilly was a white West Highland terrier and , Hattie is a white West Highland terrier. My hair used to be Brown and now is silver. Spaniels were long haired Westies are short haired. No pattern really.

Coco51 Thu 07-Jul-22 13:24:38

I’d be delighted if I lookedlike my puss - but sadly fall a long way short !