Gransnet forums

Chat

Remembering life in the 60s as a child...

(111 Posts)
AussieGran59 Mon 01-Aug-22 08:07:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MissAdventure Mon 01-Aug-22 08:01:20

I had a white fur hat that my nan bought me, and it had a built in steel band around the hairline.
That was painful, too! I despised that hat!

AussieGran59 Mon 01-Aug-22 07:56:49

Grandmadinosaur Mon 01-Aug-22 07:55:47

I remember those songs Aussiegran they don’t make them like those any more.
I also remember the garters on the socks - ouch!

I remember spending a lot of fun times with my grandparents. First grandchild and spoilt rotten. The inspiration for my relationship with my GC.
Going to Birthday parties and sitting huddled round a table at the parents house eating jelly and ice cream etc.
Walking to school in winter through the snow and sitting in school with wet feet. The ice on the milk at break time.

MissAdventure Mon 01-Aug-22 07:54:14

Almost as bad as wearing the garters was taking them off.
Red, itchy welts with an extra pain where the knot had rested.

Allegretto Mon 01-Aug-22 07:49:46

I had the elastic garters for round the top of my socks. I also remember having closed in sandals which when my feet grew, had the leather cut out at the toes, creating open-toed sandals so they lasted a bit longer.

Grandmabatty Mon 01-Aug-22 07:48:08

These resonate with me. Mum and dad had parties and always put out a selection of Sobrani cigarettes. They were different colours. We didn't have ice cream as we didn't have a freezer.

MissAdventure Mon 01-Aug-22 07:05:32

If my socks went baggy around the tops, my mum made elastic "garters" to put around them, and wow, they hurt!

M0nica Mon 01-Aug-22 06:59:02

Weren't the beads called 'poppets/poppits'?

NotSpaghetti Mon 01-Aug-22 06:48:27

I had knee-length lacy white socks which I hated as they were really uncomfortable. I just thought that was how socks were - so never thought to complain!

I too loved the pop-it beads!

AussieGran59 Mon 01-Aug-22 06:27:25