Gransnet forums

Chat

Took a tumble off my bike yesterday...

(39 Posts)
CanadianGran Wed 03-Aug-22 19:50:16

Stupid me, riding home after work in the rain, I tried to avoid a large puddle on the road and caught a rut. I ended up splayed out on the sidewalk (your pavement) soaked and assessing damages.

Luckily two lovely co-workers stopped. One had seen me take the tumble and offered to help, and another had a larger vehicle and offered to give me a lift the rest of the way home. He put the chain back on the gear, loaded the bike and brought me home. Admittedly I was shaken, but no blood or head injury. I had a sore shoulder which I iced when home.

My DH was very concerned and pampered me for the evening. I kept saying I was fine, which I mostly am, but did have a stiff shoulder last night and today.

It has made me realize that I am not invincible, and I need to take care. Accidents happen quickly, and I was very lucky that I didn't really hurt myself. I decided to drive to work today, but will 'get back on the horse' on the next non-rainy day.

Theoddbird Sat 06-Aug-22 13:16:42

Wishing you well x

PollyDolly Sat 06-Aug-22 13:20:10

Ouch! But I do hope you were wearing a helmet??

Saggi Sat 06-Aug-22 13:24:36

Ooh ! Sympathies! I was knocked of my bike by a teenager riding his bike AND using his mobile …knocked me into a steel crash barrier….. broken left shoulder …dislocated right shoulder and a broken jaw where his bike came down on top of me! He just rode off. It left me a wreck for two months and no solid food for 6 weeks!!
My left shoulder bow has arthritis in it!
Stuff happens! I now KNOW I’m not invincible!!

Spec1alk Sat 06-Aug-22 13:59:46

I’ve given up cycling after a fall that left me with left arm broken in 2 places smashed left shoulder and dislocated left arm. I hit the kerb and went over the handlebars. I needed a replacement shoulder and upper arm. I’m bionic now!! The helmet saved my head.

Candelle Sat 06-Aug-22 14:01:11

Hope that you are less sore today Canadian Gran.

I love cycling but am a 'fair-weather' 'girl' and wouldn't be brave enough to cycle in wet weather. I assiduously check weather forecasts so I won't be caught out (but know they are not invincible and that could happen).

I have had several falls (sticks caught in spokes seem to be my speciality) but still feel the benefits - and fun - outweigh the disadvantages, well, so far ..!

Wishing you a good recovery.

Bijou Sat 06-Aug-22 14:05:26

My son (73). Came off his bike avoiding a speeding car. And broke his wrist. He normally cycles rather than use the car. He plays the saxephone in a band which plays for charity at fetes etc especially during the summer so they will lose out.

pamdixon Sat 06-Aug-22 14:12:17

Poor you. Hope you are not feeling too ouchy (as the grandchildren would say!). How nice that you were helped so much by 2 co- workers.
Get well soon as they say

pinkjj27 Sat 06-Aug-22 15:27:22

I hope you are ok. I came off mine to a while back trying to avoid a bunch of kids on E scooters. Don’t let it put you off just ride through the puddle next time.

I am intrigued as to where you live (not asking) as we have not had rain for many months down south, unless it wasn’t a rain puddle.

sharon103 Sat 06-Aug-22 15:27:28

Wishing you a speedy recovery flowers

pinkjj27 Sat 06-Aug-22 15:57:02

I mean too auto correct changed it.

Bazza Sat 06-Aug-22 21:21:25

I hope you feel better soon Canadiangran, it must have really shaken you up. I’m pleased there were kind people to help you and bring you home. I was born in Canada although I’ve lived most of my life in the uk, I’ve visited several times and have always been impressed by the kindness and consideration of Canadians. And they have our sense of humour!

Jannicans Sat 06-Aug-22 22:45:40

Footpaths in Aus. Hope you are OK.

Minerva Sun 07-Aug-22 14:43:37

Canadian Gran I am so glad you weren’t worse hurt and my consolations to so many grans who were badly damaged coming off their bikes one way or another,

One of my daughters in her 30s, still recovering from a bruising assault by a young client she was carer for, went for a bicycle ride with two of her children, skidded on gravel and the wheel and handlebar spun round so that the end of the handlebar pointed at her abdomen. She hit it hard and collapsed off the bike in agony. The older child called an ambulance and hours later she was in surgery having a burst bowel operated on. Long time in hospital and in recovery.

She is the most unlucky person I know and has just spent the last 3 years more in hospital than out but that’s another extraordinary story. She is being sent home tomorrow and my fingers are crossed for her.