Gransnet forums

Chat

Just want to share this with everyone x

(47 Posts)
Serendipity22 Fri 05-Aug-22 00:02:00

For all of us.

Shinamae Mon 08-Aug-22 12:37:51

When people ask how I am I normally say “you really want to know?this might take a while”…..?

Minerva Mon 08-Aug-22 13:15:01

I pushed Mother’s wheelchair round the supermarket every other week and we were fairly well known to staff and occasionally old friends. To the smiling question, “How are you” she would growl, “How long have you got” while I cringed. Enquirers would be either sympathetic or amused. There wasn’t a great deal wrong with her that a meringue or cream cake wouldn’t put right. Never ever would she have said, “I’m fine”. I make sure I always do.

Applegran Mon 08-Aug-22 13:17:02

I saw this article recently on cheerfulness - its a choice we can make, and still be realistic. It makes us happier and others around us too. I loved it and hope it will cheer up someone else. I have been trying to add a link - I hope it works this time and apologies if it is rather long.

www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwinpKSVnLf5AhUUQkEAHXWaBHAQFnoECAcQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Flifeandstyle%2F2022%2Faug%2F06%2Fbeing-cheerful-outside-can-help-you-and-others-feel-it-inside&usg=AOvVaw1h1ruxMKgM23CiBqm4LuiR

merlotgran Mon 08-Aug-22 13:27:19

Blimey! I hope I never get to look like the woman in the mirror! ?

Rumpunch Mon 08-Aug-22 13:44:35

My mum uses to say to my Grandad " when people ask how you are Dad they really don't want to know in detail" as he used to go into detail. I am afraid now, my Mum at 85' does exactly what she used to tell him off for! I've tried reminding her what she used to say but it goes in one ear and out the other!

Rosiebee Mon 08-Aug-22 14:02:31

"None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you're carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There's no time for anything else." -
When I first read this, it was attributed to Anthony Hopkins but I've seen it under other names. I just love this quote, especially the "Be weird." sunshine

MerylStreep Mon 08-Aug-22 14:16:26

I always make myself laugh if I see a friend in the doctors waiting room.
As you would I always say hi ya, you ok?
Invariably they always say yeh, fine
I always say well what are you doing here

silvercollie Mon 08-Aug-22 14:23:24

My response to the question is, “Well, I’m fine but my body lets me down a bit, or a lot, if I’m feeling grumpy”.
This invariably raises a smile and the subject can be changed.

Callistemon21 Mon 08-Aug-22 14:28:32

merlotgran

Blimey! I hope I never get to look like the woman in the mirror! ?

If I get to 101 I might!!

But not yet, please ?

Callistemon21 Mon 08-Aug-22 14:30:23

Thanks for all these!

My MIL used to give chapter and verse if anyone asked how she was because she said it would be rude and a fib to answer 'I'm fine' when she wasn't.

Gabrielle56 Mon 08-Aug-22 15:03:49

Exactly what I need this very day thanks you both so much! Things only get worse I guess if they're allowed to?

dahlia Mon 08-Aug-22 15:13:00

As I am feeling blue today, this will spur me on to take action and not feed that big black wolf! Thank you!

Aldom Mon 08-Aug-22 15:23:17

dahlia

As I am feeling blue today, this will spur me on to take action and not feed that big black wolf! Thank you!

Here are some flowers to brighten your day. Hope the dark cloud is lifting and you can see a chink of light. It's ok not to be fine.
flowers flowers flowers sunshine

Granny23 Mon 08-Aug-22 15:42:12

My reply to the 'How are You' Question is always the same Scottish Doric one = 'Nae sae Bad'.

I used to dread anyone asking my Mum that question as she always responded with a lengthy, detailed description of all that she believed was wrong with her. Miraculously, she recovered from several self diagnosed fatal illnesses and lived on to a good age.

elleks Mon 08-Aug-22 18:01:03

Shinamae

And I would like to share this…

They quoted that in Death In Paradise!

Baggs Mon 08-Aug-22 18:38:23

Granny23

My reply to the 'How are You' Question is always the same Scottish Doric one = 'Nae sae Bad'.

I used to dread anyone asking my Mum that question as she always responded with a lengthy, detailed description of all that she believed was wrong with her. Miraculously, she recovered from several self diagnosed fatal illnesses and lived on to a good age.

G23, similar to the Yorkshire/Lancs one I was brought up with. If asked how you were once over a certain age, the answer was "Fair to middling."

grumppa Mon 08-Aug-22 19:07:05

When I met DW at Liverpool Street Station on our first date, I said "How are you?" She replied "Fine. Oh no, I'm not." It turned out she had been I'll and off work all day, but had no way of contacting me to pull out.

Then my car was broken into and her coat was stolen! In spite of all this we were married in just under a year.

Applegran Mon 08-Aug-22 19:25:31

Here is a quote from the article on cheerfulness I put a link to earlier.
Psychotherapist Tess Ridgeway agrees that choosing to be cheerful doesn’t mean walking on air. “Rather, it means you are committed to being a person who focuses on the good, looks for the best in people and picks yourself up from bad events with stoicism and determination to carry on. It isn’t flighty or dependent on good fortune. It’s a decision you make, to walk through life with good humour, humility and optimism.” I like that she describes it as a decision - not something you either have or you have not.

TwinLolly Mon 08-Aug-22 20:21:28

I'll try!

Alioop Tue 09-Aug-22 15:26:13

Shinamae I'm reading a book at the moment The House on Willow Street by Cathy Kelly and that had a similar saying in it.
There are two wolves inside you
The wolf who leads you to pain
The wolf who leads you to happiness
Which wolf will prosper
The wolf you feed.
Never heard either of them before and then I read them on the same day!

NannaGrandad Fri 12-Aug-22 20:44:26

Chestnut I love your post ❤️