Gransnet forums

Chat

What snack do you eat in this heat..healthy or not!

(102 Posts)
Bea65 Mon 08-Aug-22 13:14:51

The heat makes me eat less...well..to a degree...I've just had a bag of salt & vinegar crisps and cut myself a wedge of sharp strong cheese and popped it into the bag .. ate it like a little mouseblush..sounds crazy I know but it was delish and that's my lunch today and now not hungry... whats your heat snack?

effalump Thu 25-Aug-22 17:14:25

Slices of cucumber.

Blinko Fri 12-Aug-22 10:40:02

Brunch today is a slice of sourdough toasted, half spread with Saint Agur and half with Boursin, little tomatoes from the garden, plus a nectarine and a plum.

BlueBalou Fri 12-Aug-22 10:33:29

My most favourite is rice cakes (really good with Marmite ones ?) with mashed avocado, smoked salmon (buy the trimmings), lemon juice and black pepper
Also good are:
Apple slices spread with crunchy peanut butter
Celery sticks ditto
Fresh pineapple
Any fruit that’s been kept in the fridge is really refreshing
Iced coffee

Blinko Fri 12-Aug-22 10:21:57

Rosiebee

Chilled cheese and cucumber soup, recipe must be about 50 years old but recently re-emerged. Have some gin cocktail ice lollies in freezer for emergencies.

The soup sounds delicious. Do you have a recipe, please, Rosiebee?

Blinko Fri 12-Aug-22 10:12:03

MawtheMerrier

Lotus Biscoff mini choc ices blush

shock I’ve not seen these. I’ll look out for them now!

Blackcat3 Thu 11-Aug-22 23:36:37

Fruity ice lollies

Harmonypuss Thu 11-Aug-22 18:29:30

Crackers with cheese spread, soleros, yes multiple soleros and lots and lots of iced drinks, I couldn't manage in this heat without my ice making machine.

Nannabumble70 Wed 10-Aug-22 20:22:48

1/4 honeydew melon

LauraNorderr Wed 10-Aug-22 20:16:14

I’ve started eating a marmite and honey sandwich with my afternoon tea. Delicious and, could be a coincidence, but my restless legs have not been restless at all.

mrswoo Wed 10-Aug-22 20:06:36

Had a delicious mango earlier which had been ripening on a sunny windowsill.

Yesterday, as an experiment I froze an Asda lemon soya yogurt. It was a bit tricky getting it out of the container but tasted great and was very refreshing. They are nice unfrozen too.

Blossoming Wed 10-Aug-22 19:12:16

I’ve just had toast and marmite, too hot to eat.

AreWeThereYet Wed 10-Aug-22 18:28:23

Watermelon and feta again today - the water from the melon and the salt from the feta make it really hydrating. It tastes wonderful and brings back memories of visiting friends in Greece.

arum Wed 10-Aug-22 18:22:19

Chilled Watermelon

Barmeyoldbat Wed 10-Aug-22 18:00:11

I love butter as well Peaseblossom, just nothing else will do, Mr B has salt free because of his salt free diet and I have salted butter. Just love hot white toast oozing in butter. I was told by my Dr that I will be diabetic in about 15 years time. I am 75 now so I don’t think I will change. I tend to just have snacks when it’s hot, melon and Parma being my favourite and sucking on ice pops meant for the go during to day

Cambia Wed 10-Aug-22 17:33:38

Smoothie made with kefir, banana, flaxseed and matcha powder for breakfast.
Sweet potato, hummus, goats cheese, harissa and salad for lunch.
So so healthy…..then some apple tatin with Wensleydale cheese ice cream for 4 o clock snack……not healthy but delicious!

katy1950 Wed 10-Aug-22 17:18:55

Almond nut magnum ice lollies

sweetcakes Wed 10-Aug-22 17:17:04

Cream crackers with a bit of butter about 11am with a glass of kifir then a slice of homemade fruitcake this afternoon. Really can't be bothered about dinner!!

Ohmother Wed 10-Aug-22 16:11:04

I have one meal a day…and it lasts from the time I get up to the time I go to bed. I start eating at breakfast and continue till I climb into bed ?

Bijou Wed 10-Aug-22 15:22:08

I don’t have snacks but lunch today was Ryvitas spread with Petit Boursin, a large plum tomato and an apple with a small glass of Guiness.

merlotgran Wed 10-Aug-22 15:06:24

Just polishing off a bowl of vegan salted caramel ice cream.

Because I’m worth it!

homefarm Wed 10-Aug-22 14:53:02

Fruit

grandtanteJE65 Wed 10-Aug-22 14:18:37

I don't eat snacks - the heat makes me so absolutely starving that I need two hefty meals a day. I use the calories too, as I am full of energy and get through three times my normal amount of work.

SachaMac Wed 10-Aug-22 13:45:04

Today it’s been grapes, melon & fresh pineapple chunks and a couple of Baby Bel cheeses.

Peaseblossom Wed 10-Aug-22 13:40:05

I’ve just had two crumpets and didn’t enjoy them, because I’m trying to cut out butter as my blood pressure is a bit high and so is my cholesterol. So I had Benecol on them and did not enjoy them. Put marmite on one just so I could eat it, but ended up throwing half of that one away. I LOVE BUTTER! ?

3nanny6 Wed 10-Aug-22 13:23:20

Large slices of water melon the big round ones, cooling and lovely straight from the fridge.