Gransnet forums

Chat

What did you want to be when you grew up?

(65 Posts)
AussieGran59 Tue 09-Aug-22 06:11:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Billybob4491 Tue 09-Aug-22 09:03:03

I wanted to be a Secretary and that is what I became.

Cfaz49 Tue 09-Aug-22 09:03:21

I wanted to be a forensic scientist. I was told that was impossible as they only recruited men! How times change thank goodness. That was in 1966.

AussieGran59 Tue 09-Aug-22 09:04:02

Billybob4491 Tue 09-Aug-22 09:08:38

I am sure there is room for more than one spy on these pages AussieGran!

AussieGran59 Tue 09-Aug-22 09:09:43

FlexibleFriend Tue 09-Aug-22 09:11:01

I wanted to be a trapeze artiste.

LadyGracie Tue 09-Aug-22 10:04:11

I always wanted to stay at home with Mum.

henetha Tue 09-Aug-22 10:07:33

The problem is, I never did know what I wanted to be.
And I still don't.

HowVeryDareYou Tue 09-Aug-22 10:08:03

I wanted to be a newspaper reporter or policewoman. ended up working in offices, then in finance, then as a Care Assistant

timetogo2016 Tue 09-Aug-22 10:11:24

I wanted to be a chief red indian with a wolf and a horse.
Theres nothing like dreaming eh ?.

Mollygo Tue 09-Aug-22 10:12:53

I wanted to be a teacher-and I am. I’d have liked to have been a forensic pathologist too, but we weren’t encouraged to try that-more a man’s job at the time.

maddyone Tue 09-Aug-22 10:41:55

I wanted to be a nurse but was told that wasn’t going to happen by my mother. She pressurised me into becoming a teacher. I quite enjoyed it but it definitely wasn’t my choice.

Blossoming Tue 09-Aug-22 10:44:31

I wanted to be a knight errant,

thisisnotme Tue 09-Aug-22 10:49:25

I wanted to be a hairdresser called Sandra!
Following my first piano lesson aged 5 I then decided I’d just be a concert pianist instead.

I did neither smile

Lovetopaint037 Tue 09-Aug-22 10:52:49

I wanted to be a nurse but any talk of blood and I fainted. I had a medical book but could only read the first chapter which was about the skin. I used to watch Our Life In Their Hands by lying with my head down over the edge in an effort not to faint.
My daughter became a nurse and worked in ITU etc and loved it. However, I continued with my problem. Some neighbours insisted on talking about their veins so they carried me home.

Granny23 Tue 09-Aug-22 10:58:05

When we entered 4th year at High School we were each granted an interview with the Careers Guidance service, to advise us on our subject choices. He asked what we would like our future career to be and I (top of the year in Geography) said I would like to be a Cartographer, or ship's Navigator. He ruled these out because they were both unsuitable for girls. I then suggested an architect, but again was told that I would need a higher in Technical Drawing - only offered to boys at my school. Then he said you are obviously a very clever girl ( my report card indicated I would achieve 5 or 6 highers). so I should become a teacher, (not a Maths teacher, in spite of my 2 x 100% for maths) but a primary school teacher as I 'would undoubtedly get married and have children and should therefore chose a career where I would have the school holidays off.

In spite of doing well academically, I really did not like school due to all the petty rules, so promptly left school at 15 and got an apprenticeship in a Bank, only to find, although I loved the job, that as a female I was a second class worker, with no prospects of promotion and excluded from the Pension scheme, bonuses, staff low rate mortgage, etc. This still rankles to this day.

Auntieflo Tue 09-Aug-22 10:59:33

I wanted to be s nurse, but realised that I didn't like the smell of blood. Ended up in accounts for the rest if my working life.

Caleo Tue 09-Aug-22 11:03:40

I wanted to be a lady who keeps rowing boats for hire.

Katie59 Tue 09-Aug-22 11:15:06

A Nurse. I managed 38yrs before I finally burned out, I would do it all again. Hard work but rewarding if you can tolerate the continual reorganization and cost cutting.
Now with a good pension and good health I can enjoy retirement

Charleygirl5 Tue 09-Aug-22 11:34:08

I went to a convent boarding school but decided early on that being a nun was not for me, up too early in the morning for starters!
I wanted to be an air hostess, in the early 60's it was a glamorous job. I applied for 2 jobs, one in a library, and the other as a newspaper reporter. I would have been trained in both jobs.
I chose the library because they paid 50p a week more! I ended up being a nurse for 40 years but I still hear the head librarian's voice ringing in my ears because I was supposed to start college days before I left.

Maggiemaybe Tue 09-Aug-22 11:37:24

AussieGran59

Maybe The Gransnet Detective Agency?

Definitely! And perhaps the would-be authors could write about our exploits?

I used to borrow my dad’s magnifying glass to look for clues. Sadly I need it now to read the small print on packaging. grin

Elizabeth27 Tue 09-Aug-22 11:45:06

A nun, my family was not religious at all.

Yammy Tue 09-Aug-22 12:20:52

Cfaz49

I wanted to be a forensic scientist. I was told that was impossible as they only recruited men! How times change thank goodness. That was in 1966.

I wanted to be a Geologist until told like you it was a job for men.late 60's as well.
I eventually ended up teaching vowing definitely not infants! I was Junior/ Infants trained and wherever I went there was a shortage of Infants teachers. I learned to love the job.

Rosalyn69 Tue 09-Aug-22 12:36:34

I wanted to be an archeologist. All the diggling about with a trowel would have been heaven. Instead I was a nurse and lots of other things while being a good time girl in the 60s and 70s.

Chrissielou Thu 11-Aug-22 10:39:48

I wanted to be a lion tamer...it didn't quite work out though grin