Gransnet forums

Chat

What did you want to be when you grew up?

(64 Posts)
AussieGran59 Tue 09-Aug-22 06:11:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sara1954 Tue 09-Aug-22 06:32:13

I wanted to be part of a travelling concert party, staying in boarding houses, playing in provincial theatres every night, and making wonderful friends, and of course having lots of romantic adventures.
Sadly didn’t happen.

nanna8 Tue 09-Aug-22 06:55:21

A vet- I love animals but I am not sure I would have coped with it. Highest suicide rate of all the professions here and I can quite understand why. Ended up as an English teacher and then on to social work /teaching adults which is totally different.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 09-Aug-22 07:00:56

I wanted to be a vicars wife and hold garden parties and wear a hat!!

Grandma70s Tue 09-Aug-22 07:08:12

I wanted to be a ballerina. It didn’t happen, Growing too tall and not having enough talent were the main reasons. I’m still crazy about ballet, though.

Grandmadinosaur Tue 09-Aug-22 07:41:23

I wanted to be an air hostess. This was in the 60s when it looked like a very glamorous way of life. I ended up doing nothing of the kind just Admin roles. Quite boring really.

Iam64 Tue 09-Aug-22 07:46:46

I wanted to work with animals. At 17 wanted to join the police and be in the mounted or dog unit. Eventually qualified in social work and therapy - my own dogs were regular assistants when working with children

Maggiemaybe Tue 09-Aug-22 07:50:24

Also a ballerina. Never having a single lesson until earlier this year did it for me. I think I’m perhaps a bit old now to apply for the Royal Ballet. grin]

Failing that, I always fancied being a spy.

Calendargirl Tue 09-Aug-22 07:55:13

I wanted to be an author, loved reading and writing stories. I still feel I have a book in me, got the beginning worked out, plus the theme music for when it’s made into a film, it’s the middle and end I struggle with! (It’s a thriller, btw).
????

I ended up working in a bank.

???????

harrigran Tue 09-Aug-22 08:08:27

From being five years old I wanted to be a nurse. I did become a nurse.

sodapop Tue 09-Aug-22 08:25:18

harrigran

From being five years old I wanted to be a nurse. I did become a nurse.

Same here Harrigran although I wanted originally to be a theatre nurse I ended up working in mental health,

Aldom Tue 09-Aug-22 08:28:54

Barmeyoldbat

I wanted to be a vicars wife and hold garden parties and wear a hat!!

I was a vicar's wife grin

dolphindaisy Tue 09-Aug-22 08:29:40

After seeing Calamity Jane at the cinema I told everyone I wanted to be a cowgirl.

Curlywhirly Tue 09-Aug-22 08:32:10

A nun!!! Some of my primary school teachers were nuns and I was fascinated by their black robes. Thankfully, later on I decided I would prefer to be a teacher. It didn't happen (couldn't afford to go to University) and I ended up working in local government (which I really did enjoy). On reflection I would have been hopeless at teaching children as I am far too soft and find it really difficult to discipline anyone!

MawtheMerrier Tue 09-Aug-22 08:33:12

Still waiting to grow up hmm

NotSpaghetti Tue 09-Aug-22 08:34:18

Maggiemaybe - I just wanted to be "everything" (think dancing vet astronaut)... but as I always wanted to travel I thought I could be a spy too. Not the paperwork type, obviously! The jetting round the world sort...
Unfortunately I think I talk too much. grin

Lucca Tue 09-Aug-22 08:35:14

I wanted to be an air hostess or an actress and later an author. What I should have done is train as an interpreter as speaking foreign languages is my onlytalent !
(I did much later become an MFL teacher. )

Lathyrus Tue 09-Aug-22 08:36:14

Just a mum. With loads and loads of children. Fourteen I think.

Then I found I wasn’t very good at it actually ?

Juliet27 Tue 09-Aug-22 08:41:21

Wanted to be a vet. Worked in dull finance jobs. I’d have loved to have worked in an animal behaviour research post.

LilyoftheValley Tue 09-Aug-22 08:41:22

I wanted to be a librarian. When I was small librarians used to wield a stamp gadget onto the books and I loved the noise it made. Also, I thought that when I had finished stamping I could read for the rest of the day!

NotSpaghetti Tue 09-Aug-22 08:43:04

Great idea Lily

Tizliz Tue 09-Aug-22 08:47:40

LilyoftheValley

I wanted to be a librarian. When I was small librarians used to wield a stamp gadget onto the books and I loved the noise it made. Also, I thought that when I had finished stamping I could read for the rest of the day!

This is me. Did work in the library as a Saturday job

Juliet27 Tue 09-Aug-22 08:50:45

dolphindaisy

After seeing Calamity Jane at the cinema I told everyone I wanted to be a cowgirl.

Oh yes, I remember that film and phase!! My aunt made me a brown tunic with tassels round the edge and I had a cowboy hat and a cap gun. I used to ride round the village on my scooter wearing it in the 50s (who thought scooters were a new craze). All a bit embarrassing remembering that. ?
I’d also forgotten that I wanted to grow up to be a Romany gypsy or a Native American living in a teepee.
I grew up to be very dull but hopefully normal. Disappointing really!!

AussieGran59 Tue 09-Aug-22 08:59:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Froglady Tue 09-Aug-22 09:02:54

I wanted to work in a crisp factory or chocolate factory when I was young but my dream job was to be a policewoman. I did manage to join the police force but was asked to leave twice as they didn't think I would make an efficient officer. I was quite timid in those days. I never wanted to make rank in the job, just to be a policewoman and serve the public on the ground.